British Speedway Forum
SCB

No Woffinden....

If he indeed does ride in the Poland v Rest of the World meeting then we will know his statement is a lie and has just missed his national championships for money/sponsors. Surely the bare minimum for a GB captain is to actually ride in his national championships!

• Like 1

Its a major cock up on his part in my opinion, in years to come he will look back and think why on earth did I make that decision. I agree that maybe a few riders should be seeded through to the final but where does it stop, how many ? Bomber, Scott, Cookie ?? It does stick 2 fingers up at us as fans and I thought he had given a years break to his charity work to concentrate on speedway and forgive me for being stupid but is the British title not something to be proud of? no matter what line up it is its still steeped in history. His previous titles and any future titles are now steeped in controversy and bitterness,He could go on and beat Scott's record but will it's tainted.

In my eyes he may be world champion but the ego has well and truly landed. Scott Nicholls and Chris Harris may not have the talent as Tai but will always be thought of and regarded as great British riders, the battles they had were great and they wanted that British title above league titles any day. Modern world and speedway today goes to show that 2 meetings for the worlds best rider in his prime against the old boys and Cookie is far too much for him to deal with and will burn him out.

Could not agree more .

Don't see the issue, he's World Champion and wants to stay that way and with the British Final requiring him to qualify and fly in and out especially for those meetings why should he risk it?

Wasn't a fan of his in the early years and I'm sure he feels more Australian than British but in recent times he has done this country proud in the main. He certainly puts in the effort when riding for team GB and apart from the swearing episode last year has shown every sign of maturing and becoming a good spokesman for the sport. He also has become one of the best Speedway riders I've seen in 45 years of watching and has the potential to be the best, not to mention the money he has raised for charity.

Seems a shame that so many will look past the achievements to do the very British thing of knocking any Brit who reaches the top.

No one questions his ability as a rider merely his constant moaning about his workload ,he's 25yrs old what effort is for Hancock to get on a bike never mind beat the best in the world think he's ahead of Tai for one of the best in the last 45 yrs for me.

Could not agree more .

No one questions his ability as a rider merely his constant moaning about his workload ,he's 25yrs old what effort is for Hancock to get on a bike never mind beat the best in the world think he's ahead of Tai for one of the best in the last 45 yrs for me.

Hancock? Another who opted out of British Speedway and had the famous 'Swedish doctor'.

The thing is, Woffinden is of a similar mindset to other top riders, and sees British speedway as lower down in his priorities because that is how British speedway sees itself!

That's why he is a World Champion. I'm sure most people here would prefer him if he was still riding number one for Scunthorpe, but he would never have achieved what he has with that mindset.

Edited by grachan
  • Like 2

Hancock? Another who opted out of British Speedway and had the famous 'Swedish doctor'.

The thing is, Woffinden is of a similar mindset to other top riders, and sees British speedway as lower down in his priorities because that is how British speedway sees itself!

That's why he is a World Champion. I'm sure most people here would prefer him if he was still riding number one for Scunthorpe, but he would never have achieved what he has with that mindset.

I agree that most riders have dim view of British s/way but they are not British w/champs as Tai is and if we are truly honest the whole issue is the money as always .I think that Tai should have done the British Championship and has been badly advised ,it is after all only two meetings and the PR this has now created is not going to endear him to his British supporters .

If I am honest it is a great shame that the W/champ can't make time for his supposed home country but I accept that this look's to be the way the sport's going and I just hope he has no reason to regret it one day .

I agree that most riders have dim view of British s/way but they are not British w/champs as Tai is and if we are truly honest the whole issue is the money as always .I think that Tai should have done the British Championship and has been badly advised ,it is after all only two meetings and the PR this has now created is not going to endear him to his British supporters .

If I am honest it is a great shame that the W/champ can't make time for his supposed home country but I accept that this look's to be the way the sport's going and I just hope he has no reason to regret it one day .

I don't think Woffinden has the same level as patriotism as, say, Harris. I think that's there for all to see. His Twitter profle has him as coming from Europe and Australia.

It is a shame that he is not in this, I agree, although I do think him and Harris shouldn't have to qualify. they are different animals though, and I'm sure Haris has no problem with qualifying. That's how he has got into the World championships on several occasions too.

Unfortunately British Speedway has made a rod for its own back though. It has decided it doesn't need the World stars in the way it is run. Every year it constantly goes down the route of dumbing down,without the foresight to understand that the closer the Elite League gets to Premier League standard, the closer the crowd levels also get to Premier League levels.

As long they do this then the lower Britain will be down the list of priorities for top riders.

Yes, it's disappointing he's not here. But I bet British Speedway did its usual 'cost cutting' methods in trying to get him here.

Edited by grachan
  • Like 1

I think it was summed up on here quite nicely last year when someone said he had a total lack of class. Exactly right!

The more you see of him, the less you like.

Swearing on tv last year, great move! How often do you see the likes of Rooney swearing on tv? Never, and there's very good reason for it.

TW doesn't put any bums on seats, no loss, let him go. The British fans should find themselves another hero.

I think you will find Rooney swore directly at the camera when celebrating a goal and berated the English fans that travelled out to S. Africa in 2010 that booed the team after a disappointing result.

• Like 8

Who cares!, won't make any difference to crowd levels ,he doesn't even ride for a British Club.

• Like 1

Who cares!, won't make any difference to crowd levels ,he doesn't even ride for a British Club.

I think it will, for the very same reason.

• Like 2

So the British Final moves away from Wolves ---- and Woffy decides he doesn't want to compete!! Surprise surprise.

• Like 3

Perhaps he is going for a change in his nationality....

Aussie Govt Department For Nationality Change..

Ok Mr Woffinden, you want to become Australian, why in that case did you win The British Final?

Tai:

Strewth cobber, "swigs 4X" And chews on a "Vegemite" sarnie, I can't be ere all day, gotta put a "shrimp" on the barby sport! I'm an Aussie, nodding his head and the corks tap his forehead.

Ok Mr Woffinden, you're in.....

In my eyes he may be world champion but the ego has well and truly landed. Scott Nicholls and Chris Harris may not have the talent as Tai but will always be thought of and regarded as great British riders, the battles they had were great and they wanted that British title above league titles any day. Modern world and speedway today goes to show that 2 meetings for the worlds best rider in his prime against the old boys and Cookie is far too much for him to deal with and will burn him out.

The same Nicholls who quit Team GB and British Speedway?! HaHa!

So the British Final moves away from Wolves ---- and Woffy decides he doesn't want to compete!! Surprise surprise.

You're not going to mention his podium finishes at Swindon and Poole, then? Surprise, surprise.

You do have a point, however I see it as Scott didn't agree with the way the BSPA were doing things and if anybody here thinks we are in a good position are slightly blinkered, Buster and Colin Pratt being involved now I understand are part if the reason for his return if picked. Maybe he could have done it better but come on Tai can take on any British rider and win quite easily.

Something just doesn't add up

Scott Nicholls opted out of riding for Team GB.

Surely that's more of a snub to British Speedway then pulling out of an individual meeting that is of little significance to riders already in the Grand Prix.

I guess Scott's parents never emigrated when he was a kid, so he gets less flak.

For me its hard to cheer on and fully support a British world champion when after this years world team cup at Belle vue (other than Cardiff) i may never get to see him ride live again in the country that he represents.