British Speedway Forum
george.m

Glasgow V Edinburgh - League Cup 3pm, 3rd April

A few pics from yesterday for anyone who's interested ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glasgowtigersspeedway/albums/72157666643777131

Cracking pics George, you on centre green now? :)

• Like 1

Cracking pics George, you on centre green now? :)

Want to PM you but mailbox if full maybe?

Great photos. If you had shown me these 10, 20 years ago I wouldn't have believed it. Crowd, atmosphere, even the wee kid in the tiger suit. Awesome.

It was noticeable on Sunday that Tigers efforts to attract families with young kids is paying dividends.

Serious question, do you think running on Sunday afternoons is more attractive to that particular audience, than changing to Friday nights?

On a serious note cyclone will the friday night crowds at armadale turn out to watch this poor monarchs side?

• Like 2

On a serious note I prefer Sundays but I'd have thought Friday evenings would still attract the families

It was noticeable on Sunday that Tigers efforts to attract families with young kids is paying dividends.

Serious question, do you think running on Sunday

afternoons is more attractive to that particular audience, than changing to Friday nights?

Difficult one it is the school holidays at the moment so it may well be that there was more kids than normal.

On the flip side Friday night's may attract more as they have no school on a Saturday.

But the amount off youngsters attending now is very encouraging and they are the future so the more the merrier.

I took my 7 year old on Sunday and he loves it from the tractor, to the kids race, to Roary, hats off to the promotion in identifying that the youngsters are as important as anyone if not more.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 1

I'm genuinely surprised by certain Edinburgh fans' reaction on here.

That Monarchs side stank of poor, unorganised, last minute team building which short changed everyone, Tigers fans included, on Sunday.

The Armadale press and practice turned into a casting/auditions section for their remaining race jacket. What is supposed to be an event for team building became a competition for places.

Barring Masters, who lets not forget was well beaten by Lunna in heat one until his struggling team-mate hit the air fence, unchallenged and with no-one around him, Edinburgh offered little else, other than a half-arsed punt from Wolbert. Barker's broken chain masks a poor afternoon from Riss and Clegg was atrocious.

Etheridge caused two races to be stopped and scored nothing. Yes, every cloud has a silver lining, but that performance made Jitendra Duffil's short career seem Hans Nielsen-like.

Bewley, as a young man making his way in the sport, I don't want to criticise too much, but suggesting that he was off the pace would be a significant understatement.

• Like 1

Want to PM you but mailbox if full maybe?

Sent you a PM :)

• Like 1

On a serious note.

Running on a Friday or a Sunday is not just down to attendance levels.

As has been discussed on this Forum ad nauseam and elsewhere in print and internet, rider availability and other use of Ashfield are factors. The Facennas made public parts of their long term plans for their asset (Ashfield) as well as the speedway team last year, so there is a reference point if we could be bothered to Google it.

If we look at attendances in isolation, again there is a reference point - Glasgow ran on Fridays at Shawfield.

So anyone who attended any meetings there will have their own recollection. Yes times have moved since then, but not dynamically enough to make such a difference. Not really rocket science is it?

As for the argument of which day is better for revenue boils down to:

1. Attendance mix

Adult v kids. For every adult you need 18 (eighteen) kids under 11, or 3 (three) 11-15s to bring in more revenue - hardly rocket science.

2. Additional spend - Which days brings in more?

Guestimate - Friday due to alcohol and food sales (skip dinner at home and buy at Ashfield).

Yes, Fridays might alienate some of the current client base (myself included), but that's business. Unless you're looking for anti-Facenna ammunition.

Serious note.

The same poster has asked this question before.

Well, last time I looked neither Mintel nor Euromonitor nor TNS nor Kantar are members of the forum.

So why ask the same question again and again?

Try Google for previous responses.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 1

You can argue the case for both George due to work I would miss more than I would attend on a Friday but I used to love my Friday nights at Blantyre and Shawfield .

Correct on the revenue on adults v kids but there is a bigger picture than current day revenue they will be the fan's long after we are gone taking there kids and so on it really is pleasing to see so many youngsters attending now and genuinely enjoying themselves.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 2

That Monarchs side stank of poor, unorganised, last minute team building which short changed everyone, Tigers fans included, on Sunday.

The signing of Fisher being another example. Losing Sedgeman and Cook, I expected them to be looking at Grajzonic,Kus type of riders. Nothing much happened and then they signed Fisher who may or may not be his former self, but looked to have half retired at best. And given the level playing field in terms of no 7 - to leave it to the last minute and run the audition was poor. And as for Etheridge he may turn out to be decent - but I know as much as the Edinburgh promotion do.

Don't like to speak to soon as Edinburgh may come good, but there's too many decent looking sides in the Premier to make it look dangerous to throw away averages - and not to get near 42.5 in the first place.

Edited by damosuzuki
  • Like 1

It's nice to everyone is so concerned about us. Thanks.

Trust me people aren't concerned just making observations ☺