British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Scorpions Vs Peterborough Panthers ( L C) - Sunday, April 10th (6.30pm)

Obviously the panthers team is full of racers that can win races on a racers track. Let's see what the panthers can do on Thursday on a non racers track.

• Like 3

When I'm in the queue for an ATM and an attractive girl is behind me, I show her the screen and give her a cheeky wink.

What I get in return is better than any interest rate anywhere.

LOL £10,000 isnt a massive amount of money... well maybe it is for a kid

• Like 1

the last letter is the same but the first three are open to interpretation.

As for this meeting, the Panthers are romping home as expected; I can see this Panthers side going undefeated until the end of the season.

Just like at home last Friday :)

Someone tell me why Scunthorpe persist with Carl Wilkinson?

Maybe hes cheap?

Well they havent had to pay him much with what hes been scoring

Congratulations to Peterborough on their fine victory. Tom Perry was their trumph card with 12, and Niklas Porsing scoring 13 on his first ever visit to the EWR I believe (?)

For Scunny, even off a defeat like that, there are some positives from the meeting: Ryan Douglas was outstanding for the Scorpions as per, Alex managed to come to the races, even if it was later on in the meeting, and Josh Bailey, yes the kid scored 1 point all evening, his efforts could not be faulted. A awesome young lad with one hell of a career ahead of him. As for the rest, Josh Auty Im not sure whats wrong with him setups or is he keeping his best engines for the EL. Wilko, needs some time off to rest his shoulder. Ash Morris, yeah its his first meeting and will take some time to settle in.

Hope the Scorpions can improve for the next meeting vs Plymouth in 2 weeks.

• Like 1

Great performance last night on a cold evening. Good to see Porsing among the points and as for Tom Perry......to have him at 7 all season is a bonus. Well done Panthers.

• Like 2

Obviously the panthers team is full of racers that can win races on a racers track.

That is actaully very very true.that is exactly what they were last night,from a scunny fan they were impressive to watch

• Like 3

How proud the Panther fans must feel! that was a hammering they gave the Scorpions!.....That wasn't the Josh (No 1 ) we have been accustomed to watching. The swoops on the inside and the passes on the outside Gone! He appeared to be trying but getting nowhere fast ( was it No 2 bike? ) Is he keeping his best for Leicester? Well done to Ryan top scorer!. Reserve Josh showing guts, really having a go well done lad. At the end of a bad meeting for us I feel so disappointed with the team. Oh dear where do we go from here!

From what I can gather the track wasn't prepared as normal for the EWR and was a lot slicker than normal, I couldn't believe the low crowd (around 450). It was bloody cold as well, nice to see the referee run it through quickly after a late start re waiting for a paramedic to arrive.

From what I can gather the track wasn't prepared as normal for the EWR and was a lot slicker than normal, I couldn't believe the low crowd (around 450). It was bloody cold as well, nice to see the referee run it through quickly after a late start re waiting for a paramedic to arrive.

Its is interesting hear comment about crowd level,agree last night there was about 450 there i guess.but at the previous fixture at the show ground a week agao i guess the crowd looking at it was about 500[give or take a few]

begs the question at what level speedway is viable, over the two fixtures when you look at the out lay of points money[never mind cost of flights] to both promotions, on a similar income level,there is a huge difference

can speedway afford these huge wins?

Obviously the panthers team is full of racers that can win races on a racers track. Let's see what the panthers can do on Thursday on a non racers track.

Good point your making here, not so sure myself yet but if Panthers do stuff the Witches then I think we are in business for the season. Think they will be well hyped up for this meeting as the loss at home to Sheffield still leaves a nasty taste

There is bound to be disappointment after two heavy reverses to Peterborough; but lets not over react here. Rob was clearly deflated at the end, and talking openly of change; but it is very early days. We have a lot going for us at Scunthorpe; Ryan who is showing he can overcome a very serious 2015 injury and post big points. Josh Bailey is a real little rider; and needs track time; to keep getting better and better. Great to see David Howe in his corner yesterday; what he cannot pass onto Little Josh probably is not worth knowing !.

I dislike having to make changes; but we knew we would loose Nicolai and had covered that scenario. We did not bargain on Zdneck's injury coming so soon; making Andreas return more complicated.

This can happen; and is the nature of the sport; but we have no need to be down in the dumps about it. Goodness no; the Speedway season has only just started !. I have suggested that we need a big hitter to push Big Josh for No1 and take some of the load. Ideally yes; but no; if such a move would risk the clubs future.

Big Josh; is also recovering from a nasty injury last season and the indifferent form may be machinery related. He looked a bit underpowered compared to the Peterborough lads. He seemed to want to "go there"; but wasn't getting there as quick as he wanted to. Our plan for Wilko to be a strong reserve has not paid off; as we hoped and he probably is not 100% fit to be fair to him. While Alex never lacks for all out effort but is just blowing a bit hot and cold at the moment. Ashley Morris deserves credit for a determined six ride debut; in my book 4pts was bit unjust for his efforts

One thing; did Peterborough look fitter and stronger on the bikes ?. Have they hit the ground that bit more in front from the off and we are building our fitness out there on the track ?. That can make a difference in any sport; but especially in this game where knocks and falls are all part and parcel. Sure everyone's getting there; but if you have been out due to injury your not going to be at the levels you want to be fitness wise. That's a fact not a criticism.

Peterborough sized up the track from the off; and for once passing was at premium at the EWR. The point made by Big Cat D; about the track being slicker explains that.

As Zdneck has not ridden his quota of official matches to gain his new average; we are very limited to what we can do. Dave Peet mentioned that it would be toward the back end of May before changes could be made. With that being the case; we have a window to keep faith with the team we have and make the best of it. I am sure that everyone will be working very hard to respond; and we should look at the positives; least of which is that we have a team to follow on a great racetrack.

It is not always about coming out on top in every meeting; we don't just throw the towel in because we are beaten twice heavily by for me; a really top drawer Peterborough side. There could be no complaints about how the team got stuck in at Sheffield last Thursday.

We get up; dust ourselves off; keep believing in what we are doing and go again; at Somerset on Friday.

Its is interesting hear comment about crowd level,agree last night there was about 450 there i guess.but at the previous fixture at the show ground a week agao i guess the crowd looking at it was about 500[give or take a few]

begs the question at what level speedway is viable, over the two fixtures when you look at the out lay of points money[never mind cost of flights] to both promotions, on a similar income level,there is a huge difference

can speedway afford these huge wins?

That's a good point; when I look around at crowds Scunny yesterday and Peterborough last Friday I see crowds of the order of National League football. My local club Guiseley FC have crowds in the region of 500 for home games. Last weekend we got over 1000 for Cheltenham (top of the league). I think speedway has settled in with crowds of this order across most tracks and it worries me about the viability; particularly when big points money will need to be found. I suppose the sponsors are important in keeping clubs alive and it is important they do; not everyone has owners like Glasgow. I think back to Bradford back in the 80's-90's and for all we threw the kitchen sink at it in terms of top stars and top meetings; the crowds were hard pressed reaching 1500 for weekly racing at Odsal. That's nigh on two decades ago; and think of how events have changed since then that have only further detracted from Speedway keeping its fan base in place.

Edited by the outsider

I hope Scunthorpe's season doesn't go the same way as last season when early home defeats led to a drop in crowds and calls from Rob for the fans to come back. The thing is though, is the management seem to think the team is better than it actually is.

• Like 2

There is bound to be disappointment after two heavy reverses to Peterborough; but lets not over react here. Rob was clearly deflated at the end, and talking openly of change; but it is very early days. We have a lot going for us at Scunthorpe; Ryan who is showing he can overcome a very serious 2015 injury and post big points. Josh Bailey is a real little rider; and needs track time; to keep getting better and better. Great to see David Howe in his corner yesterday; what he cannot pass onto Little Josh probably is not worth knowing !.

I dislike having to make changes; but we knew we would loose Nicolai and had covered that scenario. We did not bargain on Zdneck's injury coming so soon; making Andreas return more complicated.

This can happen; and is the nature of the sport; but we have no need to be down in the dumps about it. Goodness no; the Speedway season has only just started !. I have suggested that we need a big hitter to push Big Josh for No1 and take some of the load. Ideally yes; but no; if such a move would risk the clubs future.

Big Josh; is also recovering from a nasty injury last season and the indifferent form may be machinery related. He looked a bit underpowered compared to the Peterborough lads. He seemed to want to "go there"; but wasn't getting there as quick as he wanted to. Our plan for Wilko to be a strong reserve has not paid off; as we hoped and he probably is not 100% fit to be fair to him. While Alex never lacks for all out effort but is just blowing a bit hot and cold at the moment. Ashley Morris deserves credit for a determined six ride debut; in my book 4pts was bit unjust for his efforts

One thing; did Peterborough look fitter and stronger on the bikes ?. Have they hit the ground that bit more in front from the off and we are building our fitness out there on the track ?. That can make a difference in any sport; but especially in this game where knocks and falls are all part and parcel. Sure everyone's getting there; but if you have been out due to injury your not going to be at the levels you want to be fitness wise. That's a fact not a criticism.

Peterborough sized up the track from the off; and for once passing was at premium at the EWR. The point made by Big Cat D; about the track being slicker explains that.

As Zdneck has not ridden his quota of official matches to gain his new average; we are very limited to what we can do. Dave Peet mentioned that it would be toward the back end of May before changes could be made. With that being the case; we have a window to keep faith with the team we have and make the best of it. I am sure that everyone will be working very hard to respond; and we should look at the positives; least of which is that we have a team to follow on a great racetrack.

It is not always about coming out on top in every meeting; we don't just throw the towel in because we are beaten twice heavily by for me; a really top drawer Peterborough side. There could be no complaints about how the team got stuck in at Sheffield last Thursday.

We get up; dust ourselves off; keep believing in what we are doing and go again; at Somerset on Friday.

That's a positive outlook right there.

Imo if Scunny are going to reach the play offs they will need to try and find a number 1, Lewis Bridger? Peter Karlsson?

Andreas lyager is probably a 5 point man with 7 point average so I can't see us reaching the playoffs if he is the rider to come in.

Anyone got an update on Holubs injury, will he be back for Somerset away?