British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Argos

El Riders In The Nl

I don't have a problem with this.

Ellis is 20, Clegg is 18. Both of them can still be referred to as developing riders and will make their teams more attractive, pulling in fans home and away.

Eastbourne need a new no 1 to make their team competitive - which means whoever took Hughes place it wouldn't be a 3 point junior so Ellis isn't taking a young lads position.

Its all very well being critical, but precisely who else are they to sign ?

• Like 6

with the general consensus being that the EL is getting weaker, should we ban GP stars from it in case other riders get demoralised too ? Or should we let younger riders gain from the experience of riding with the top guys ( who are normally happy to pass on help / advice) and aspire to follow in their footsteps ?

They're EL draft reserves who are eligible for the NL, there's no problem. It's not like Harris and Nicholls have been allowed to join NL clubs. Some people need to get their knickers out of a twist.

• Like 4

100% let them in I don't see any cons for it.

A club point of view:

- showcase riders = more fans turn up = more revenue for the clubs = more finance available to spend on ways to improve the fan expirence

- pass knowledge on to younger riders

- gives the lesser riders something to aspire to to make them better riders too

A riders point of view:

- more rides

- higher confidence

- extra money to help them find their equipment in the higher leagues

• Like 6

100% let them in I don't see any cons for it.

A club point of view:

- showcase riders = more fans turn up = more revenue for the clubs = more finance available to spend on ways to improve the fan expirence

- pass knowledge on to younger riders

- gives the lesser riders something to aspire to to make them better riders too

A riders point of view:

- more rides

- higher confidence

- extra money to help them find their equipment in the higher leagues

This x100

• Like 3

This x100

But why revert back to the easy pickings in the NL, a league your son dominated last season, rather than accept the offers he received to further develop his career in the PL, which would provide him also with extra rides, confidence and more £? Do you and he not see the PL as a league in which Adam could develop, or is it a suggestion of a lack of ambition or confidence compared to, say, his Poole team mate Brady Kurtz? Adam did well in the PL in 2013/14 at Ipswich, he could well be crowned the British U21 Champion this week and, if he continues his terrific early season form in the EL, must be on the short-list for Team GB's SWC Reserve team position. Adam is 20 now. I truly hope he does not regret this decision to step back into a small pool where, as a big fish, he will be a target for the numerous ambitious little fish and piranhas that are in there. Whatever happens, I only wish him well, as a British rider and a lovely lad.

Because last year he was picked by lakeside in the draft which ruled out 4 of the PL offers he'd had. He did have others at various points throughout the season but he'd given his word to Birmingham and didn't want to drop them in the poo. This has been mentioned by Graham Drury and Tony Mole.

This year he wanted to concentrate at the start of the year on getting his set ups right in the EL and ride open meetings in Europe, (he'd already turned down other NL offers) why did he choose to help Eastbourne out ? why don't you ask him, he doesn't bite. I'll be seeing him this week when I come over and will probably do the same.

• Like 1

Because last year he was picked by lakeside in the draft which ruled out 4 of the PL offers he'd had. He did have others at various points throughout the season but he'd given his word to Birmingham and didn't want to drop them in the poo. This has been mentioned by Graham Drury and Tony Mole.

This year he wanted to concentrate at the start of the year on getting his set ups right in the EL and ride open meetings in Europe, (he'd already turned down other NL offers) why did he choose to help Eastbourne out ? why don't you ask him, he doesn't bite. I'll be seeing him this week when I come over and will probably do the same.

Thank you for that and, yes, I was aware of the loyalty that Adam showed to Birmingham last season (see my Post #13 on this Thread).

The concentration on set-ups in the EL looks like it has paid off handsomely. Enjoy your trip over from Bordeaux and hopefully you will enjoy seeing him on the podium at Owlerton on Thursday - British weather permitting. Hope that I will be there cheering him on and if not, yes, I'll have a chat with Adam as I know he doesn't bite and is a grand lad of whom you should rightfully be very proud.

• Like 1

Surely if the rules allow, they should be allowed.

I guess the debate is more about what the National League should be, a development league or the third tier of speedway.

Personally, I want to see my team win and win against similarly made up team. Yes, I want to see British riders brought through so I think its right to say something like 4 of the riders should have an NL average of less then 5 or 6 say. But ather than that, if a rider fits, he should be used.

Every race start a rider makes, he can learn things. EL, they have to learn about passing and tryong to gate. NL can be maybe about team riding and trying to stop being passed for example and just simply getting laps in.

NL would not be of interest to me if teams like Birmingham, Cradely and Eastbourne do not build teams to complete and win.

Despite my feeling over Len Silvers stupid comments, I hope Kent do well this year as they have a great competitive team. If that team has a few injuries and they sign an EL league rider to come in and help win the league (within the rules) then good luck to them.

Surely if the rules allow, they should be allowed.

I guess the debate is more about what the National League should be, a development league or the third tier of speedway.

Personally, I want to see my team win and win against similarly made up team. Yes, I want to see British riders brought through so I think its right to say something like 4 of the riders should have an NL average of less then 5 or 6 say. But ather than that, if a rider fits, he should be used.

Every race start a rider makes, he can learn things. EL, they have to learn about passing and tryong to gate. NL can be maybe about team riding and trying to stop being passed for example and just simply getting laps in.

NL would not be of interest to me if teams like Birmingham, Cradely and Eastbourne do not build teams to complete and win.

Despite my feeling over Len Silvers stupid comments, I hope Kent do well this year as they have a great competitive team. If that team has a few injuries and they sign an EL league rider to come in and help win the league (within the rules) then good luck to them.

all this sh*t is just because it's eastbourne /the dugards again. most of the fuss over bwd was from drury and silver then it came out it had nothing to do with what the 3rd tier was about and a lot more to do with both rye and birmingham wanting him and not getting him. it's ellis' choice to change his mind like all of us will probably do today about something never mind next week or next month. neither is it anything new 10/12 years ago ? i seem to remember the rules were if you didn't have a place in the top two leagues you were allowed to race in the conference which resulted in andy smith and grahame jones racing in the 3rd tier. can't wait to see adam & jonny the croissant at arlington . as far as james easter making waves it sounds more like he forgot he was sponsor of the league and was speaking very much with his mildenhall hat on ? similar feelings as you towards kent , i've sent my email to their council over the planning permission .

Edited by gee jay

Until (and it WILL take time) the excellent Youth Development agenda, on which Neil Vatcher is working so hard on and good luck to him and the Young 'uns at Glasgow today, starts to produce more young British riders which it will, we have to face reality and accept there's a shortage in numbers.

However IF a three main league systems remains in years ahead how about this (with maybe some minor tweaks along the way) as something of a 'conveyor belt' in producing more British riders?

"Have-a-go-yourself days' to depending on age YD, then to practice days and organised training schools then when good enough, MDL /NJL (not viable in south as Anglian Junior League demonstrated). When good enough NL, then to doubling up PL and NL, then PL reserve(s) and once good enough full time PL, then doubling ELFTR and PL 1to 5 and from there.... full time EL and eventually (you never know!) THE world! Sounds complicated I know but hope that makes sense of sorts and also hope you can see what I'm trying to get across!

As far as I can see British riders of Adam's ability ideally should be doubling up with PL and EL berths in place but it's not an ideal world at the moment is it? Eastbourne have two British riders likely to sidelined for mid to long terms and there are others in the NL e.g. Brendan Johnson at the IOW and have to be replaced.

Edited by Bryn

Let's see

English ... tick

Young ... tick

er .... that's it.

everything's fine and how it should be, good luck to both riders and get off their backs.

• Like 5

all this sh*t is just because it's eastbourne /the dugards again. most of the fuss over bwd was from drury and silver then it came out it had nothing to do with what the 3rd tier was about and a lot more to do with both rye and birmingham wanting him and not getting him. it's ellis' choice to change his mind like all of us will probably do today about something never mind next week or next month. neither is it anything new 10/12 years ago ? i seem to remember the rules were if you didn't have a place in the top two leagues you were allowed to race in the conference which resulted in andy smith and grahame jones racing in the 3rd tier. can't wait to see adam & jonny the croissant at arlington . as far as james easter making waves it sounds more like he forgot he was sponsor of the league and was speaking very much with his mildenhall hat on ? similar feelings as you towards kent , i've sent my email to their council over the planning permission .

I don't remember any talk about Brum signing BWD. In fact (if my admitidly old and half functioning) memory serves me right, our team was put together by Phil Morris pretty much at the last minute.

I don't remember any talk about Brum signing BWD. In fact (if my admitidly old and half functioning) memory serves me right, our team was put together by Phil Morris pretty much at the last minute.

I think he meant Ellis

One point you have all overlooked, Now that Adam Ellis has signed for eastbourne he can also except one of those offers from a PL club & ride in all 3 leagues.Good luck to him i say.

• Like 1