British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LunnasPerm

Boring

I'm intrigued; who?

As I posted earlier who do you think ask again, what do you think.

It was more exciting...even 10 years ago it was exciting.

I watched 3 meetings last weekend - two E.L. and one P.L. - at Coventry, Leicester and Peterborough and do you know what all three were exciting and had some brilliant racing so how does that fit in with your assessment? On the other hand I used to think Leicester v Coventry matches back in the 70's and 80's were thrilling, but having recently watched 3 on video (sorry but I'm still old fashioned and have some videos ) the racing was pretty boring with hardly any passing. I blame Ole Olsen. :lol:

......wealdstone......As I posted earlier who do you think ask again, what do you think.

Don't tell him Pike ~ he's a Poole fan and you'll only start him off. :P

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 3

I watched 3 meetings last weekend - two E.L. and one P.L. - at Coventry, Leicester and Peterborough and do you know what all three were exciting and had some brilliant racing so how does that fit in with your assessment? On the other hand I used to think Leicester v Coventry matches back in the 70's and 80's were thrilling, but having recently watched 3 on video (sorry but I'm still old fashioned and have some videos ) the racing was pretty boring with hardly any passing. I blame Ole Olsen. :lol:

That completely backs up what I've said as well Gemini.

• Like 1

Of course it does because it's true. I don't hark back to the past because I know the racing is no worse today than it used to be.

• Like 1

As I posted earlier who do you think ask again, what do you think.

I don't know, I have absolutely no idea.

To give you a bit of background, Inhavent regularly attended the speedway for at least five years and only recently have I returned to regular viewing. Hence, my knowledge is limited.

However, since you're asking, let me make an uneducated guess: Peter Andrè.

• Like 1

My memory of earlier days was as many have said that the first out of the gate usually won. However there was then a level playing field and of course the presentation was much better.

I don't know, I have absolutely no idea.

To give you a bit of background, Inhavent regularly attended the speedway for at least five years and only recently have I returned to regular viewing. Hence, my knowledge is limited.

However, since you're asking, let me make an uneducated guess: Peter Andrè.

Very close but not who I was thinking of.

• Like 1

Okay, Donald Trump?

If he was involved in Speedway he may be a contender

And here is the perfect example.

You do realise the videos on Youtube are what happened? They are hard and fast, undisputable evidence. They are not fictitious events, created by CGI.

What you wish us to believe is, those meetings, and there are many of them now, are not real. Somehow false. Not a fair representation?

As I have quite clearly explained numerous times, but you don't seem to grasp is I am not referring to a few videos. I also have the recollection of how brilliant racing used to be in the late 80's to early to mid 90's. Yet I have EVERY SINGLE ONE of those meetings on DVD and when I rewatch them, I soon realise that its nothing like I remember it at all, in fact much of the time its quite dull.

Excitement has little to do with speedway's success. Speedway struggles because it has a poor marketing image. It's not deemed 'cool'. All sports have a churn of fans, I know many people who used to go to every home game in football, but no longer go anymore, the difference is they are replaced by new younger fans.

Speedway WAS better in the past, not because the racing was much better, if better at all, but because there were good crowds and a vibrant atmosphere. In such an environment a poor race can seem average, an average race is great and a great race is simply out of this world.

It's rare these days that feeling can be replicated, with the exception of the playoffs, which is why I love them so much.. its one of the rare times that the old feelings can come flooding back.

Watching videos is one thing...actually being at the meeting is another.

You say you remember all those meetings from the 80's and 90's and how brilliant the racing was...yet when you watch them again on TV it isn't how you remembered.

Now what does that tell you?

It tells you that you thoroughly enjoyed all those meetings you attended, you have great memories...not bad.

Then you watch them on tv and it doesn't seem the same...what does that tell you? It tells you that watching live speedway is far better than on tv. Watching it on tv doesn't give you the whole perspective, the sound, or noise, or smell...or the different aspects at watching each rider control and race their bike according to the conditions.

What you see on tv, is not the same as being there.

Your memory tells you it was good...because it was.

You don't seem to grasp the difference between racing today and racing in the past...tv doesn't show that clearly enough.

How you can say Speedway's lack of success isn't down to excitement and down to poor marketing is beyond me.

You can market all you like, and make something look 'cool'...but if people turn up and the product isn't exciting, then people won't come, however cool you've tried to make it look.

You can't polish a turd...because people soon see through it.

Fans are walking away in their droves...not because it isn't cool, speedway has never been 'cool'...people are walking away for many reasons, and one of them is a very basic....tracks that are able to be ridden with various racing lines and at least a chance to pass.

Bring back the basics, and people will return...you would also have to market it well again to get people back. But once there...if the racing is good...then they will keep going.

Now try and read that Witcher...and try to understand it before you reply with some drivel about watching videos...it's totally different...and your brain told you that it was good for a reason....because it was.

And here is the perfect example.

You do realise the videos on Youtube are what happened? They are hard and fast, undisputable evidence. They are not fictitious events, created by CGI.

What you wish us to believe is, those meetings, and there are many of them now, are not real. Somehow false. Not a fair representation?

As I have quite clearly explained numerous times, but you don't seem to grasp is I am not referring to a few videos. I also have the recollection of how brilliant racing used to be in the late 80's to early to mid 90's. Yet I have EVERY SINGLE ONE of those meetings on DVD and when I rewatch them, I soon realise that its nothing like I remember it at all, in fact much of the time its quite dull.

Excitement has little to do with speedway's success. Speedway struggles because it has a poor marketing image. It's not deemed 'cool'. All sports have a churn of fans, I know many people who used to go to every home game in football, but no longer go anymore, the difference is they are replaced by new younger fans.

Speedway WAS better in the past, not because the racing was much better, if better at all, but because there were good crowds and a vibrant atmosphere. In such an environment a poor race can seem average, an average race is great and a great race is simply out of this world.

It's rare these days that feeling can be replicated, with the exception of the playoffs, which is why I love them so much.. its one of the rare times that the old feelings can come flooding back.

Any input on the 60s, 70s and 80s ? or did you not ever witness it if so ask someone who you know and respect they might enlighten you.!!

had loads of re-run videos. with no disrespect, it was way below par coverage of the actual match. from commentary to camera angles

Any input on the 60s, 70s and 80s ? or did you not ever witness it if so ask someone who you know and respect they might enlighten you.!!

Watching videos is one thing...actually being at the meeting is another.

You say you remember all those meetings from the 80's and 90's and how brilliant the racing was...yet when you watch them again on TV it isn't how you remembered.

Now what does that tell you?

It tells you that you thoroughly enjoyed all those meetings you attended, you have great memories...not bad.

Then you watch them on tv and it doesn't seem the same...what does that tell you? It tells you that watching live speedway is far better than on tv. Watching it on tv doesn't give you the whole perspective, the sound, or noise, or smell...or the different aspects at watching each rider control and race their bike according to the conditions.

What you see on tv, is not the same as being there.

Your memory tells you it was good...because it was.

You don't seem to grasp the difference between racing today and racing in the past...tv doesn't show that clearly enough.

How you can say Speedway's lack of success isn't down to excitement and down to poor marketing is beyond me.

You can market all you like, and make something look 'cool'...but if people turn up and the product isn't exciting, then people won't come, however cool you've tried to make it look.

You can't polish a turd...because people soon see through it.

Fans are walking away in their droves...not because it isn't cool, speedway has never been 'cool'...people are walking away for many reasons, and one of them is a very basic....tracks that are able to be ridden with various racing lines and at least a chance to pass.

Bring back the basics, and people will return...you would also have to market it well again to get people back. But once there...if the racing is good...then they will keep going.

Now try and read that Witcher...and try to understand it before you reply with some drivel about watching videos...it's totally different...and your brain told you that it was good for a reason....because it was.

Why do you contradict yourself so much?

You've agreed the racing wasn't any better..

Then whitter on about lack of opportunities to pass nowadays.

I've explained the reasons why it SEEMED better back then, reasons you have AGREED with.

Your argument about less exciting racing, holds no credence.. why? One because you've already destroyed it yourself by admitting that the racing wasn't any better... and secondly, there are tracks now that produce brilliant racing... but very few people go to them...

I have a vast collection of DVDs from the 70s, 80s, 90s & 00s and matches are variable during that entire period. The camera work often leaves a lot to be desired (often not catching the action at the back) and although enjoying them from a nostalgic point of view it's the atmosphere that's missing - although listening to the soft tones of Dave Hammond over the PA does help bring it back to me!

Why do you contradict yourself so much?

You've agreed the racing wasn't any better..

Then whitter on about lack of opportunities to pass nowadays.

I've explained the reasons why it SEEMED better back then, reasons you have AGREED with.

Your argument about less exciting racing, holds no credence.. why? One because you've already destroyed it yourself by admitting that the racing wasn't any better... and secondly, there are tracks now that produce brilliant racing... but very few people go to them...

Kinnel...it's like banging my head against a brick wall...Have you been sniffing methanol?

Read my posts properly...I've explained numerous times why the racing was better...IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT OVERTAKING...LOUD ENOUGH FOR YOU? Please read my posts again before you reply. I've GIVEN NUMEROUS REASONS ABOUT TRACKS, BIKES, THROTTLE CONTROL, RACING LINES ETC.

Unreal...no wonder so many people fall out with you.