British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LunnasPerm

Boring

if a decent crowd is in the atmosphere is lifted and the racing seems better..even if it isn't.

NB I never watch Elte League on TV as I don't enjoy it.

I am still attending as many live meetings as I've ever done though. (but possibly out of habit...)

I do think the racing deteriorated significantly with lay-downs...

I find the statistical side of my record keeping will maintain my interest in attending live meets until I can no longer do so..

You get crackers , you get rubbish ones . Same as you get Liverpool v Dortmund on Thursday and Hibs v Dundee Utd or West Brom v Watford yesterday . Any sport is like that . I'd still rather watch a duff speedway meeting than a shocker at football .

• Like 5

Most races are boring. That's the reality, more so in Britain I believe.

There are 2 main reasons for this.

Firstly, the tracks are generally dire, only one line and poorly prepared surfaces.

Secondly, poorly matched teams with too bigger gulf from 1-7. This particularly applies to the EL.

Don't expect anything to change as most people are in denial about it. Track sizes need to change.

• Like 1

It's with a heavy, heavy heart that I declare that speedway is a boring sport.

As I documented elsewhere, I'm a Glasgow Tigers' fan who, due to work commitments, hadn't been to the speedway for five years. Before then, speedway was my drug.

I was at Ashfield last Sunday for the Glasgow and Edinburgh derby, though, and who would have thought it, ended up in the north east of England tonight which meant that, as a neutral fan, I was able to attend tonight's Berwick and Edinburgh match.

What have I learned, since then? Watch speedway in silence and it's boring.

I'm not long home and I've stuck on Leicester versus Swindon's live fixture on Sky from during the week; it's even worse than the live matches I've attended. I've got Pearson and Tattum exaggerating the excitement.

I'm disappointed, more than anything. I don't know if it's the tracks or if it's the fact that sides can freely scuffle their starting seven, they can employ riders who aren't ready to compete, etc., but I'm sad.

I'm not looking for answers, I'm simply throwing in my opinion, having left and returned.

EDIT I feel the need to reitareate how bad this fixture is between Leicester and Swindon. He who gates, wins. No wonder Sky are cancelling meetings. It's boring, plain and simple. Tattum can talk as much rubbishe as he likes, but it doesn't compensate for a significant lack of entertainment.

It really depends where you go and when.

To be honest, one of the last places you ought to be going to see loads of overtaking, is Berwick.

A lot can also depend who the opposition is. Lots of teams turn up at certain tracks and are beaten before the start of heat 1, but, if the opposition are prepared to give it a go, then you can be entertained.

Last weekend, for example, I saw a dreadful meeting at Berwick (Berwick v Newcastle), but saw a half decent to good meeting at Brough Park the following night between the two sides. Last night at Workington I saw another poor meeting, where I saw two overtakes all night. But, I have seen some great matches at Workington (both when Newcastle have been there and also when they haven't).

Somerset is usually good value and Scunthorpe isn't too bad either.

Glasgow, usually, can produce decent racing, now they've adjusted the track.

I've given up on the EL (TV). I've even given up going to Cardiff for the Grand Prix.

I can't comment on the NL. Perhaps a NL fan can respond.

Firstly, the tracks are generally dire, only one line and poorly prepared surfaces.

Secondly, poorly matched teams with too bigger gulf from 1-7. This particularly applies to the EL.

Don't expect anything to change as most people are in denial about it. Track sizes need to change.

The gulf between 1 and 7 is irrelevant because they don't race each other.

• Like 3

Rather than just write off the post it may be worth considering that perhaps there may be some credence with the observation and perhaps one of the reasons why the sport is now so desperate for new fans?

I would agree,Berwick last night was boring a few factors didn't help things,but it was embarrassing the distance that the Edinburgh riders were winning races.They were gating but!!.

Re the TV meeting, my worry is that Swindon are working their averages so the meeting wasn't a 'proper' competition? With the advent of the playoffs we've seen this loads.

I haven't seen the meeting at all I hasten to add!

What riders are working there averages and what riders are going to get dropped ?

Edited by orion

:rofl:

It does make me laugh when I read posts like this... added into the 'predictable' comment earlier, also aimed at the EL.

Once again a falacy.

Elite League races are now more unpredictable than they have ever been.

:rofl:

It does make me laugh when I read posts like this... added into the 'predictable' comment earlier, also aimed at the EL.

Once again a falacy.

Elite League races are now more unpredictable than they have ever been.

The sport obviously has no problems, that's why tracks are packed out and every race is a thriller.

Edited by Stoke Potter
  • Like 5

Unfortunately the new silencers and clay based tracks like we have in Britain are not very compatible and have reduced the quality of racing that we used to have.It still works in Poland but their tracks are of a different material and composition.And yes the original poster was correct speedway in the main in Britain is boring and is the reason why crowds are the lowest for a generation,not averages,team suits,double points etc,etc,etc

• Like 1

The sport obviously has no problems, that's why tracks are packed out and every race is a thriller.

Which has nothing to do with your jibe at the EL where the riders in each heat are of a closer standard than they've ever been.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

Which has nothing to do with your jibe at the EL where the riders in each heat are of a closer standard than they've ever been.

Fair point, it wasn't a jibe, more an observation and not just directed EL.

• Like 1

There is one simple and inexpensive way to improve racing--let the riders practice before the start of a meeting instead of having to second guess their set up.

• Like 4

Fair point, it wasn't a jibe, more an observation and not just directed EL.

An incorrect observation.

The difference between top riders and bottom end riders is less now than it was in the 'glory years'.

• Like 1