British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

Could Woffy Be Making An El Return?

Must admit I am a supporter of Woffinden and take my two 9 foot Woffinden flags all over Europe when I attend the foreign GP's . However I was not impressed by his behaviour in Melbourne belting out the Aussie national anthem and then in the moment of triumph of being a British World Champion decided to clown around during God save the queen. If he is as British as everyone says he is them maybe someone should tell him to act like it, The last straw for me was the decision not too ride in the British Final. If the semi is a problem the BSPA should seed him to the final to call his bluff.I don't blame Tai for not riding in the Elite league,I get the burnout issue with 28 fixtures and extensive travelling, but surely its beyond the pail that the British World champion can't at least make a rare appearance in Britain at the British final,surely 1 appearance is not burnout .So for those who think there is not a split or Woffinden is still the darling of all the British fans then they are wrong.

Top post

It's the damage tai is doing to British speedway as a British world champion snubbing the British final.

Will he be donating his pay packet while riding for team GB to the Ben fund ?

Those governing British speedway are doing damage, not any one rider.

Tai and many other top riders have been warning the BSPA what is needed to keep the top league strong and credible.

Tai has tried to get them to listen but it's too late.

Only now have they finally had a sniff of the coffee , a very slight sniff I grant you.

The only embarrassing thing Tai did was riding like a junior in 2014 when world champion for Wolves - now that was seriously embarrassing!

Name me any other British rider who brought the sport as much media coverage as Tai has.... just one.. go on.

We can't because no British rider has, but why feel the need to say it? It just smacks of big-headedness. Nobody was cheering louder than me when Tai won his first title, but overtime he's become quite arrogant and full of his own importance.

Obviously nobody can question his ability, and no doubt he'll be Britains greatest ever rider, if he isn't already.

I certainly wouldn't be petty enough to boo him at Cardiff, but equally, I wont be cheering. I'll be saving that for Bomber!

Edited by Terry
  • Like 1

Surely a rider that has reached the pinnacle of his career can be allowed to be a bit arrogant ??

Hasn't he earned the right??

Plus it sticks the fingers up to those that laughed at him getting a GP wildcard and said he wasn't good enough.

Whilst I don't agree with him giving the EL a miss and missing the British Final more so however I have no issues with him being a supremely confident young man - he has earned that right.

• Like 1

A bit arrogant? Confident? Understatement of the year! Oh, Stevebrum you are funny.

A bit arrogant.... :D lol ​

• Like 2

big difference between confidence and arrogance. Eric Bristow was the master of arrogance, but the difference with him, he was a household name and used the arrogance in promoting darts to the masses

• Like 1

A bit arrogant? Confident? Understatement of the year! Oh, Stevebrum you are funny.

A bit arrogant.... :D lol ​

I see him as just being very confident. Better than some of the guff that the turbo twins used to come out with!

• Like 1

We can't because no British rider has, but why feel the need to say it? It just smacks of big-headedness. Nobody was cheering louder than me when Tai won his first title, but overtime he's become quite arrogant and full of his own importance.

Obviously nobody can question his ability, and no doubt he'll be Britains greatest ever rider, if he isn't already.

I certainly wouldn't be petty enough to boo him at Cardiff, but equally, I wont be cheering. I'll be saving that for Bomber!

Of course they have, both Peter Craven and Peter Collins for example and although before my time, I bet Freddie Williams did. The sport was much bigger in those days and received national publicity. I can recall Peter Craven's victories having a full page spread on the back page of national Sunday papers and regular stories in the national press. Peter Collins appeared on a number of popular terrestrial TV programmes during 1976/7 in addition to lots of press coverage. Obviously, there was no social media but newspapers had many more readers in those days and TV programmes had many more viewers than today.

Collins and Craven were household names. Lots of people who had never attended speedway knew who they were, you can hardly say the same about Tai.

On the general topic I see no argument that Tai is British, of course he is. I have no problem with him not riding in the EL, I can understand that he had to follow the money and the higher standard of competition in Poland and Sweden. I am less happy about him missing the British final. I can see the problems of him doing the semi finals but I am sure that a behind the scenes compromise could have been reached to seed him to the final. If he truly wants to help British speedway then he must know that his absence is likely to lower the profile of the meeting and adversely affect the attendance numbers.

Having said that I certainly shan't be booing him at Cardiff and whenever he is in a race with Zagar in the GP's I shall be shouting for Tai.

Surely a rider that has reached the pinnacle of his career can be allowed to be a bit arrogant ??

Hasn't he earned the right??

Plus it sticks the fingers up to those that laughed at him getting a GP wildcard and said he wasn't good enough.

Whilst I don't agree with him giving the EL a miss and missing the British Final more so however I have no issues with him being a supremely confident young man - he has earned that right.

Neither of the PC's were arrogant, they had confidence in their ability but let their performances on track speak for them, That is part of the reason why they were both extremely popular with fans everywhere. Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

Of course they have, both Peter Craven and Peter Collins for example and although before my time, I bet Freddie Williams did. The sport was much bigger in those days and received national publicity. I can recall Peter Craven's victories having a full page spread on the back page of national Sunday papers and regular stories in the national press. Peter Collins appeared on a number of popular terrestrial TV programmes during 1976/7 in addition to lots of press coverage. Obviously, there was no social media but newspapers had many more readers in those days and TV programmes had many more viewers than today.

Collins and Craven were household names. Lots of people who had never attended speedway knew who they were, you can hardly say the same about Tai.

On the general topic I see no argument that Tai is British, of course he is. I have no problem with him not riding in the EL, I can understand that he had to follow the money and the higher standard of competition in Poland and Sweden. I am less happy about him missing the British final. I can see the problems of him doing the semi finals but I am sure that a behind the scenes compromise could have been reached to seed him to the final. If he truly wants to help British speedway then he must know that his absence is likely to lower the profile of the meeting and adversely affect the attendance numbers.

Having said that I certainly shan't be booing him at Cardiff and whenever he is in a race with Zagar in the GP's I shall be shouting for Tai.

Neither of the PC's were arrogant, they had confidence in their ability but let their performances on track speak for them, That is part of the reason why they were both extremely popular with fans everywhere.

You're right of course, I was only really thinking Havelock/Loram. Now I think about it, didn't Michael Lee have a regular column in the Daily Mirror during his year as number 1? Although he didn't create positive publicity unfortunately!

Yes, Peter Collins certainly wasn't arrogant and you couldn't wish to meet a more grounded individual than Mark Loram.

• Like 2

Really, is there. Not one or two English players playing in the French league that means they won't be selected for England ?

Yes England only pick players who play for English clubs - but not necessarily born in England or to English parents. Inconsistent to say the least.

It was a bid to stop top players going to the better paying league in France and has been relatively successful in doing so - although a couple (Dylan Armitage in particular and Danny Cipriani when he played for Melbourne) have chosen to take the money and effectively exclude themselves from international rugby.

You know full well where they started their football career, bit like where Tai started his, and if the EL was anywhere near as good as the Polish or Swedish leagues then Tai and many more GP riders would still be riding here.

We've just had a winter full of slating how weak and poor the EL is, we need the powers that be to encourage top riders back, but that won't happen until it's worth it for them. And that my friend is a fact.

You know full well where they started their football career, bit like where Tai started his, and if the EL was anywhere near as good as the Polish or Swedish leagues then Tai and many more GP riders would still be riding here.

We've just had a winter full of slating how weak and poor the EL is, we need the powers that be to encourage top riders back, but that won't happen until it's worth it for them. And that my friend is a fact.

What in wollybackadindong nowhere speedway ?. so your trying to say that Woffinden arrived here a fully fledged international speedway star and did us all a favour by riding here for a few years , well I've changed my opinion . what a great kid to do all that for us . before he went off to seek his fortune , most kids would have just gone straight after the big bucks in Poland Sweden and the GP's without giving our national league and premier league a second thought.

Must admit I am a supporter of Woffinden and take my two 9 foot Woffinden flags all over Europe when I attend the foreign GP's . However I was not impressed by his behaviour in Melbourne belting out the Aussie national anthem and then in the moment of triumph of being a British World Champion decided to clown around during God save the queen. If he is as British as everyone says he is them maybe someone should tell him to act like it, The last straw for me was the decision not too ride in the British Final. If the semi is a problem the BSPA should seed him to the final to call his bluff.I don't blame Tai for not riding in the Elite league,I get the burnout issue with 28 fixtures and extensive travelling, but surely its beyond the pail that the British World champion can't at least make a rare appearance in Britain at the British final,surely 1 appearance is not burnout .So for those who think there is not a split or Woffinden is still the darling of all the British fans then they are wrong.

Well said. He acts like a spoilt little brat sometimes who wants his cake AND to eat it too. When it comes to his "Nationality" he has used his "British" passport to his advantage when we was an up and coming rider but deep down his public actions really do make you question which country he has more affection for?

Excellent rider, lucky to be at his peak now though when there is very little opposition to him (especially without poor Darcy and because of Emil's self imposed GP exile) so will no doubt win a few more World titles before he retires.

Still don't like him though!!....

• Like 1

Mark Loram!!

Mark Loram had as much media coverage in the last 10 years as Tai Woffinden? :rofl:

Dear me.. Try again.