British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCB

15 Metre Gold Double Tac Sub

You dont NEED a protected system. Who is it protecting? Tonight Swindons EDR rider is riding as a heat leader FFS! Scrap the heat format, bring back 15 metre double points.

If it gets rid of EDR I'm for it

Interesting article regarding the Peter Craven crash in the latest edition of 'Classic Magazine' (another superb magazine) where one time Edinburgh and Berwick rider Ian Paterson quotes:

"There had been a bit of needle before they (Craven & Hunter) went out for the race. Hoskins was saying that Craven had to start off a 20 yard handicap but George didn't want any advantage handed to him, so he wanted to start level with Peter"

"I'm not sure if those two started behind the other two in the race or whether all four started from the line, but Hunter and Craven definitely started alongside each other. Those two were so far ahead of the others when the crash happened. They say that Hunter's bike seized but I didn't think so...and I think that George just overdid it going into the corner"

"His bike went down but then it started spinning around. Peter definitely had enough time to lay his bike down but he must have thought that he could go through the gap (between Hunter's bike and the wooden board safety fence). Trouble was, the gap shut on him at the wrong bloody time. It looked bad. But not horrendous."

That's how I was always told the crash happened nothing to do with handicap system ,IMO the GDTS was scrapped at the riders request( I believe Briggs threaten to retire if the handicap system was not banned in his day)just like the handicap system they say it puts more stress on the engines.

If it gets rid of EDR I'm for it

That's how I was always told the crash happened nothing to do with handicap system ,IMO the GDTS was scrapped at the riders request( I believe Briggs threaten to retire if the handicap system was not banned in his day)just like the handicap system they say it puts more stress on the engines.

Just updated my post!

Re the Peter Craven Crash...surely there is definitive detail as to what happened in that race?

It would have been documented at the time...and plenty of eye witnesses.

Hunter would have said whether he had engine failure or lost control...surely?

I can't believe it's so hazy...Any thoughts?

It became pointless the more tracks and machines became gate and go unfortunately.

My aged memory seems to remember rumours that riders didn't like it cos it was harder work and they got no extra for it, but I could be going senile ;)

I agree bring it back at least extra effort has to be put in to justify double points. Wearing a black and white tablecloth to get double points for stuff all is a waste of time

Daft, but genuine, question, but does the rider not get paid for six points instead of three?

Daft, but genuine, question, but does the rider not get paid for six points instead of three?

I'm pretty sure they didn't which was part of the problem for some riders.

I'm pretty sure they didn't which was part of the problem for some riders.

Some did (or got a % of the double points), and some didn't, hence some of the discrepancy of wanting to do it.

As far as the 15 metre double thingy. I once was told by a rider that he refused to do it on certain tracks, as he felt that those tracks were too dangerous to go off 15metres.

So certain riders refused to do it. I refuse to jump out of a plane but I don't propose stopping those that want to do it from doing it. I refuse to watch the only way is essex but I don't see them removing it from the tele because I don't like it. Bring it back and anyone who doesn't want to do it can have that discussion with their team manager when the time comes. Meanwhile those who want "do it for the fans" can do!

They go off 15 metres when they touch the tapes so I don't know why a T/r should be any different.

I remember watching the "Midland Riders Handicap" meetings at Blacbird Road in the 70's.....

And the Olympique at Monmore. Has that always been run on a handicap basis? Used to be the "Golden Wonder" Olympique in the days when the sport could attract national sponsorship.