British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Sunderland Stadium

Happened to pass Sunderland Stadium by chance today on my way back to York from Tynemouth. Couldn't resist calling in although everything was locked up and there wasn't a sole in sight. Couldn't help thinking of 'Crazy' Jack Millen when taking photos of the exterior!

Sadly no Speedway - but a fantastic Stadium none the less.

One can always dream - but I have been dreaming since 1974 with no result.

I don't think it will happen in my lifetime now.

'Crazy' Jack, Graeme Smith, Russ Dent, George Barclay and in an earlier incarnation (1964) Jim Airey, Gordon Guasco and Ken Sharples - yes - happy days and happy memories.

• Like 1

just happen t see yous post re/sunderland stadia ,we are going on our yearly gambling week on 10 may from scotland starting at sedgefield horse meet. wed we go to sun/dogs thursday.brough park .aye its a pity sunderland does not do speedwaybut have you seen the dog track at easington colliery thats crying out for a speedway track every time ive been there i can picture speedway there only 2 pence bus ride from sunderland

• Like 1

Good to read comments by White Knight and Gustix....welcome back!

• Like 2

'Crazy' Jack, Graeme Smith, Russ Dent, George Barclay and in an earlier incarnation (1964) Jim Airey, Gordon Guasco and Ken Sharples - yes - happy days and happy memories.

...and my old pals Vic Ridgeon and Dave Collins were also at Sunderland in 1964.

EDIT: I had posted this two messages previously but somehow I took it down in error. Sorry.

Edited by Guest

And the sadly missed Vic Harding never see him ride for Sunderland but see him ride for Weymouth/Hackney welcome back WK.
  • Like 3

Happened to pass Sunderland Stadium by chance today on my way back to York from Tynemouth. Couldn't resist calling in although everything was locked up and there wasn't a sole in sight. Couldn't help thinking of 'Crazy' Jack Millen when taking photos of the exterior!

Not a sole in sight?...sounds fishy to me :shock:

• Like 2

Not a sole in sight?...sounds fishy to me :shock:

Strewth! I knew that it didn't look right when I typed it...!

• Like 2

just happen t see yous post re/sunderland stadia ,we are going on our yearly gambling week on 10 may from scotland starting at sedgefield horse meet. wed we go to sun/dogs thursday.brough park .aye its a pity sunderland does not do speedwaybut have you seen the dog track at easington colliery thats crying out for a speedway track every time ive been there i can picture speedway there only 2 pence bus ride from sunderland

The houses next to the stadium might scupper any plans for speedway there, I'm afraid.

The houses next to the stadium might scupper any plans for speedway there, I'm afraid.

I believe that the Easington Stadium was looked at some years ago now as regards Speedway.

Nothing transpired - I don't know why?

I believe that the Easington Stadium was looked at some years ago now as regards Speedway.

Nothing transpired - I don't know why?

easington is right of the beaten track so unlikckly anybody would complain abouy noise. also did not know it was looked at fr speedway thanks anyway

• Like 1