British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tracy Bird

Kevin Holden

Remember hearing the news of his death during a meeting at White City in 1977.

RIP

As a Romford Bombers supporter, I remember him making his debut as a wobbly reserve in 1970. By the next season he had developed into our No 1 and become one of the best riders in the league. Super rider to watch and a firm fans favourite. So sad he was never able to reach his full potential.

• Like 1

If I recall Kevin once used to work at Barry Briggs' JAWA Dealership in Southampton?

As a Romford Bombers supporter, I remember him making his debut as a wobbly reserve in 1970. By the next season he had developed into our No 1 and become one of the best riders in the league. Super rider to watch and a firm fans favourite. So sad he was never able to reach his full potential.

Snap, 'HertsRacer'. I remember the start of Kevin's speedway career very clearly and followed his progress to West Ham, Exeter and then Poole. A very, very sad day when the news came through. Like losing a friend.

(Can't get a direct link to the page, but if you follow the following link and then click on 'Riders' then 'Kevin Holden' and then 'Profile' there's a neat little write up on Kevin on Robert Knightley's excellent 'Romford Bombers' web-site):

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robert.knightley/

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that Kev won the last heat ever run at both Brooklands and Custom House - not in the meetings on those dates (30 Sep 1971 and 23 May 1972), but in the Second Half Finals.

Thank you for starting this Thread 'Tracy Bird'. Brought back a lot of memories. Bless You Kevin, Gone But Never Ever Forgotten - RIP.

• Like 3