British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Who Has Ridden At Most Uk Tracks?

tmc, on 26 Sept 2016 - 6:39 PM, said:

Thanks for bringing 'Stan the Man' to our attention. Can anyone please verify the Stevens list?

I can verify all but one - Southampton.

We accept that while it's unfortunate and frustrating, it's also inevitable that one or two mistakes and omissions would occur in a feature like this which includes so much detail spanning many years and was put together in such haste. In hindsight, I should have taken more time to check all the facts and shared them with those of you who have contributed for final verification before printing.

No matter, what's done is done - we'll make the appropriate amendments and print them in the next issue.

So please let me know ASAP if any other changes need to be made...

Thanks to all.

Thanks for bringing 'Stan the Man' to our attention. Can anyone please verify the Stevens list?

Stan rode at both Rye House tracks and also appeared at Reading (Tilehurst) in the 1971 Southern Riders' Championship Qualifying Round. He joined Southampton after New Cross closed in 1963 and rode at Banister Court in September, including the meeting against Oxford.

I worked this sort of back-to-front so I was only left with the pre-65 tracks to check for. I just matched the number of tracks with my list and came up with the same, 61 (inc. Southampton). I had Tilehurst on my list but I see now that Rochdale is included in the original - I don't have Stevens down as riding there. He rode for Romford against Rochdale in 1971 but it was staged at Hyde Road.

I worked this sort of back-to-front so I was only left with the pre-65 tracks to check for. I just matched the number of tracks with my list and came up with the same, 61 (inc. Southampton). I had Tilehurst on my list but I see now that Rochdale is included in the original - I don't have Stevens down as riding there. He rode for Romford against Rochdale in 1971 but it was staged at Hyde Road.

I'd already checked Stan's history, but there a few too many gaps for me to post anything accurate - I had a total of 56. However, I agree with your take on Rochdale.

Steve

Edited by chunky

Without trawling thru' the thread has Gordon McGregor's name been mentioned? Rode in the old National, Provincial, British Leagues One & two?

Without trawling thru' the thread has Gordon McGregor's name been mentioned? Rode in the old National, Provincial, British Leagues One & two?

I checked and could "only" find 50 tracks he had appeared at. The highest for riders who I don't think have been mentioned that I have found appears to be Ross Gilbertson with 58.
  • Like 1

I checked and could "only" find 50 tracks he had appeared at. The highest for riders who I don't think have been mentioned that I have found appears to be Ross Gilbertson with 58.

Thanks for that. Gordon actually married a woman that went to school with my mum!