British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Who Has Ridden At Most Uk Tracks?

It would take exhaustive research to prove the facts, but just wondering which rider has appeared at the most UK tracks, spanning all eras?

Off the top of my head, Simmo would have to be right up there. Think I counted that he rode on at least 50 different Provincial League, National League (Div 1), British League and National League (Div 2) venues.

Ivan Mauger's Provincial League days with Newcastle in the early 60s would push him well ahead of fellow superstars such as Briggo, Fundin and Olsen whose racing days were confined to the top flight.

Riders who rode in both BL1 and BL2, and went on to have long careers, will come into the reckoning, too. Thinking of the likes of John Louis and Dave Jessup, who started out when there were a lot more tracks in business. They both rode at Romford, where Simmo never did.

Joe Owen and Steve Lawson also covered a lot of tracks.

I wonder if there is a statto supremo out there who has the definitive answer?

Edited by tmc

No stats (and I ain't even gonna try!) but I think you probably need to go much further back than that. Some real pioneers would have ridden at some of the real short term tracks of the twenties and still been around in post war days.

I would put forward Wal Morton and Phil Bishop as contenders with Wal in particular riding on many pioneer tracks, most of the 30s, 40s and 50s tracks and then the Provincial League ones. Along the way he would also have ridden a number of post war non league tracks.

This should be a real interesting thread. Looking forward to other forum members suggestions.

:)

• Like 1

No stats (and I ain't even gonna try!) but I think you probably need to go much further back than that. Some real pioneers would have ridden at some of the real short term tracks of the twenties and still been around in post war days.

I would put forward Wal Morton and Phil Bishop as contenders with Wal in particular riding on many pioneer tracks, most of the 30s, 40s and 50s tracks and then the Provincial League ones. Along the way he would also have ridden a number of post war non league tracks.

This should be a real interesting thread. Looking forward to other forum members suggestions.

:)

Good point but, as you say, very difficult to confirm.

Perhaps we should confine this to post-war eras.

During a league career lasting from 1960 to 1983 George Hunter rode in league meetings at the following tracks;

Barrow,Belle Vue, Berwick (Berrington Lough), Berwick (Shielfield), Birmingham, Boston, Bradford (Odsal), Bradford (Greenfields), Bristol (Knowle Stadium), Bristol (Eastville), Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Crayford, Eastbourne, Edinburgh

(Old Meadowbank), Edinburgh (Powderhall), Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow (White City), Glasgow (Hampden), Glasgow (Blantyre), Glasgow (Craighead), Hackney, Halifax, Hull, Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Mildenhall, Milton Keynes, Newcastle, Newport, Oxford, Peterborough, Plymouth, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading (Tilehurst), Reading (Smallmead), Rye House, St Austell, Scunthorpe (Quibell), Scunthorpe (Ashby Ville), Sheffield, Stoke (Sun Street), Stoke (Loomer Road), Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, White City, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington, Yarmouth.

He also rode at non league Motherwell in 1958 and in a Northern League match at Sunderland in 1964.

I make this 62 different tracks in the UK during his career. There may be others where he appeared in open meetings etc.

As he rode Provincial, British & National Leagues for more than five years each I think this would take some beating.

Source of information for tracks appeared at is his testimonial brochure from 1982.

Edited by brough
  • Like 1

If you are to concentrate solely on the 'Backtrack era' I think you'd be looking for a rider who had a long career across both divisions. Barry Thomas for example.

I didn't see any racing at Old Meadowhall but I was a regular at Powderbank :D

Edited by daveallan81
  • Like 2

It would take exhaustive research to prove the facts, but just wondering which rider has appeared at the most UK tracks, spanning all eras?

Off the top of my head, Simmo would have to be right up there. Think I counted that he rode on at least 50 different Provincial League, National League (Div 1), British League and National League (Div 2) venues.

Ivan Mauger's Provincial League days with Newcastle in the early 60s would push him well ahead of fellow superstars such as Briggo, Fundin and Olsen whose racing days were confined to the top flight.

Riders who rode in both BL1 and BL2, and went on to have long careers, will come into the reckoning, too. Thinking of the likes of John Louis and Dave Jessup, who started out when there were a lot more tracks in business. They both rode at Romford, where Simmo never did.

Joe Owen and Steve Lawson also covered a lot of tracks.

I wonder if there is a statto supremo out there who has the definitive answer?

Mike Broadbanks i think would be high up the list.
  • Like 1

Thanks for your responses, including some good nominations.

Right, who has got the time to plough through every Speedway Star from 1952.....!

During a league career lasting from 1960 to 1983 George Hunter rode in league meetings at the following tracks;

Barrow,Belle Vue, Berwick (Berrington Lough), Berwick (Shielfield), Birmingham, Boston, Bradford (Odsal), Bradford (Greenfields), Bristol (Knowle Stadium), Bristol (Eastville), Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Crayford, Eastbourne, Edinburgh
(Old Meadowhall), Edinburgh (Powderhall), Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow (White City), Glasgow (Hampden), Glasgow (Blantyre), Glasgow (Craighead), Hackney, Halifax, Hull, Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Mildenhall, Milton Keynes, Newcastle, Newport, Oxford, Peterborough, Plymouth, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading (Tilehurst), Reading (Smallmead), Rye House, St Austell, Scunthorpe (Quibell), Scunthorpe (Ashby Ville), Sheffield, Stoke (Sun Street), Stoke (Loomer Road), Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, White City, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington, Yarmouth.

He also rode at non league Motherwell in 1958 and in a Northern League match at Sunderland in 1964.

I make this 62 different tracks in the UK during his career. There may be others where he appeared in open meetings etc.

As he rode Provincial, British & National Leagues for more than five years each I think this would take some beating.

Source of information for tracks appeared at is his testimonial brochure from 1982.

Excellent work. I don't think Simmo, Louis or Jessup can compete with the geographical spread of the 'Ladybank Express'.

Edited by tmc

During a league career lasting from 1960 to 1983 George Hunter rode in league meetings at the following tracks;Barrow,Belle Vue, Berwick (Berrington Lough), Berwick (Shielfield), Birmingham, Boston, Bradford (Odsal), Bradford (Greenfields), Bristol (Knowle Stadium), Bristol (Eastville), Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Crayford, Eastbourne, Edinburgh(Old Meadowhall), Edinburgh (Powderhall), Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow (White City), Glasgow (Hampden), Glasgow (Blantyre), Glasgow (Craighead), Hackney, Halifax, Hull, Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Mildenhall, Milton Keynes, Newcastle, Newport, Oxford, Peterborough, Plymouth, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading (Tilehurst), Reading (Smallmead), Rye House, St Austell, Scunthorpe (Quibell), Scunthorpe (Ashby Ville), Sheffield, Stoke (Sun Street), Stoke (Loomer Road), Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, White City, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington, Yarmouth.He also rode at non league Motherwell in 1958 and in a Northern League match at Sunderland in 1964.I make this 62 different tracks in the UK during his career. There may be others where he appeared in open meetings etc.As he rode Provincial, British & National Leagues for more than five years each I think this would take some beating.Source of information for tracks appeared at is his testimonial brochure from 1982.

according to the speedway researcher website, he also rode at Cowdenbeath in 1965.
  • Like 1

There was a thread on this a few years ago. I think it came to a definitive conclusion. Perhaps a little research back in Speedway Forum archives might help.

Here it is: http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=39407&hl=travelled

Looking at the original post, he is asking a completely different question: 'Don't know why this really came to me, but I have been wondering which riders have ridden for the most British teams during their careers'.

I'm asking who has ridden at the most number of TRACKS, not teams.

according to the speedway researcher website, he also rode at Cowdenbeath in 1965.

Agreed. 63 it is then for George Hunter. Jimmy Squibb is another possibility? Edited by brough
  • Like 1

Guest compost

Out of interest currently looking at 7 riders. Up to, and including, 1946 I've got Phil Bishop on 29 venues, Wal Morton on 26, Jack Parker 25 and Geoff Pymar on 19. The other 3 - Jimmy Squibb, Les McGillivray and Colin Gooddy have yet to come to the tapes.

Pre war info is patchy so I suspect that Parker at least would have ridden at a lot more venues than just the 25, mainly league ones, that I've come up with.

Will let you know if any of these beats Hunter's total.

Out of interest currently looking at 7 riders. Up to, and including, 1946 I've got Phil Bishop on 29 venues, Wal Morton on 26, Jack Parker 25 and Geoff Pymar on 19. The other 3 - Jimmy Squibb, Les McGillivray and Colin Gooddy have yet to come to the tapes.

Pre war info is patchy so I suspect that Parker at least would have ridden at a lot more venues than just the 25, mainly league ones, that I've come up with.

Will let you know if any of these beats Hunter's total.

Top work, compost, please keep it going....!

Silly question, but are you also logging the name of each track...?

Edited by tmc

Rob Hollingworth?

British Speedway was its height, in terms of number of tracks, in the mid 70s. Hollingworth doubled up between both leagues, Boston (NL) and Wolverhampton (BL).

Then he came back between 2000 and 2005, and rode at a totally different level for Boston.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him pushing 60 tracks.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1