British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Who Has Ridden At Most Uk Tracks?

But ain't Jimmy Squibb still top?

Although he has - surprisingly to me at least - been ruled out as having raced at most UK tracks, does anyone know how many Wal Morton did appear at in his speedway career between 1932 and 1964?

Edited by Guest

Although he has - surprisingly to me at least - been ruled out as having raced at most UK tracks, does anyone know how many Wal Morton did appear at in his speedway career between 1932 and 1964?

It says 47 earlier in the thread, with a list of them.

It says 47 earlier in the thread, with a list of them.

Thank you JC!

Wal Morton rode at - Aldershot, Belle End, Bradford Greenfields, Crystal Palace, Fleetwood, Halifax, Hall Green Birmingham, Ipswich, King's Lynn 1953, Lea Bridge, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Luton, Middlesbrough, Motherwell, Nottingham, Perry Barr Birmingham, Plymouth,

Rayleigh, St Austell, Walthamstow, Weymouth, Wigan Poolstock, Wolverhampton

Post-war Wal Morton also rode for Glasgow White City, Harringay, West Ham, Norwich, Wimbledon, Hackney.

Edited by Guest

Guest compost

gustix see my post number 41.

I said -

"They all rode at the following venues

Belle Vue Hyde Rd, Bradford Odsal, Bristol Knowle,Coventry, Cradley Heath, Edinburgh Old Meadowbank, Exeter, Glasgow White City, Hackney, Harringay, Leicester (Stadium), New Cross, Newcastle Brough Park, Norwich, Poole, Sheffield, Southampton, Stoke Hanley, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Wimbledon, Yarmouth"

Then ...

"Part 2

Wal Morton rode at - Aldershot, Belle End, Bradford Greenfields, Crystal Palace, Fleetwood, Halifax, Hall Green Birmingham, Ipswich, King's Lynn 1953, Lea Bridge, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Luton, Middlesbrough, Motherwell, Nottingham, Perry Barr Birmingham, Plymouth,

"

So that is were my total, both pre and post ww2, came from.

BTW Leicester (Stadium) would be Blackbird Rd, Leicester.

The original question asked how many tracks so I didn't differentiate between training and non-training or whether the rider took part in the meeting or just did a special match race. If it was a reported race that the rider was involved in then I classed him as having ridden at that venue. Non racing appearances I did not consider as having rode at the track.

Squibb did ride at one venue, I think one of the scottish ones (it's been a while since I did this and just don't remember) , where his only appearance was in a special match race. As it was a bona fide race that was enough to class it as an appearance at the venue.

My primary source of information for 95% of the work was the PDF files on the speedway researcher website. And yes I did go through several thousend PDF's searching by name for each of the 7 riders I had selected (which is why I am loath to repeat the exercise again).

gustix see my post number 41.

I said -

"They all rode at the following venues

Belle Vue Hyde Rd, Bradford Odsal, Bristol Knowle,Coventry, Cradley Heath, Edinburgh Old Meadowbank, Exeter, Glasgow White City, Hackney, Harringay, Leicester (Stadium), New Cross, Newcastle Brough Park, Norwich, Poole, Sheffield, Southampton, Stoke Hanley, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Wimbledon, Yarmouth"

Then ...

"Part 2

"

So that is were my total, both pre and post ww2, came from.

BTW Leicester (Stadium) would be Blackbird Rd, Leicester.

The original question asked how many tracks so I didn't differentiate between training and non-training or whether the rider took part in the meeting or just did a special match race. If it was a reported race that the rider was involved in then I classed him as having ridden at that venue. Non racing appearances I did not consider as having rode at the track.

Squibb did ride at one venue, I think one of the scottish ones (it's been a while since I did this and just don't remember) , where his only appearance was in a special match race. As it was a bona fide race that was enough to class it as an appearance at the venue.

My primary source of information for 95% of the work was the PDF files on the speedway researcher website. And yes I did go through several thousend PDF's searching by name for each of the 7 riders I had selected (which is why I am loath to repeat the exercise again).

That's excellent compost. I now fully understand the research that you have established on various riders. A wonderful research effort on your part. :approve:

Edited by Guest

Maybe it would be a good suggestion that people post in bold font in this section as some of our members are getting on in years and have trouble reading in a normal font,so it seems? :rofl: :P

​Ron Johnson was active from 1928 until mid-1949 on a regular basis, then after his unfortunate accident briefly in 1953, then again in the early 1960s.

Is there a record of how many tracks he raced at? :unsure:

Edited by Guest

Maybe it would be a good suggestion that people post in bold font in this section as some of our members are getting on in years and have trouble reading in a normal font,so it seems? :rofl: :P

You forgot that you should always change some words to red and underline them

​I think that in the pioneer era "many riders raced at many tracks" - especially circa 1928 and 1929. Some names - just one example and there are many more - Lloyd 'Sprouts' Elder appears to have raced wherever there was a major speedway, especially in the first 1928 season.

Northern-based riders like Frank 'Red Devil' Varey, Eric Langton, were also extremely active in this period. The trouble is that most of the information comes from sketchy reports and articles concerning the period. Most likely records of many 1928 and 1929 meetings held at various venues never appeared in the motorcycle publications of that time.

Too much hearsay rather than hard facts I suppose?

Edited by Guest

Rob Hollingworth up to 61 and queries on about 10 tracks which I'm trying to find out. It's really tricky, because he rode in Southern Track meetings after his Conference League comeback.

Just found details of a STRA meeting he did at the Isle Of Wight.

All the best

Rob

Thank you JC!

Post-war Wal Morton also rode for Glasgow White City, Harringay, West Ham, Norwich, Wimbledon, Hackney.

It's double 'r'...!

Harringay!!!

Thanks Parsloes 1928. I have amended the club name in the original Post. I have been having mega problems with an automatic spell check on my system which changes words it deems have been misspelt. I usually have the club name appear as Haringey - not quite sure what happened this time. :neutral:

For my tale of spelling woe, go to the Support Forum and look for Automatic Spell Correction On Laptop Nuisance

Edited by Guest

Thanks Parsloes 1928. I have amended the club name in the original Post. I have been having mega problems with an automatic spell check on my system which changes words it deems have been misspelt. I usually have the club name appear as Haringey - not quite sure what happened this time. :neutral:

For my tale of spelling woe, go to the Support Forum and look for Automatic Spell Correction On Laptop Nuisance

Just admit you spelt something something wrong - it's quite acceptable these days.

Stop blaming everyone else.

Apparently the forum was to blame for your double thread earlier tonight - perhaps just admit to having a senior moment and no one will pick you up on it,

It's double 'r'...!

Harringay!!!

It appears Parsloes 1928 that this automatic spell change is fairly common place and that it is possible to overcome it via this Link. But is the information applicable to all systems? Anyway it may be of use to some BSF members so here's the information I have which was sent to me via a PM from another BSF member.

https://support.offi...38-76624dca0162

Edited by Guest