British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TonyE

Lakeside Hammers V Wolverhampton Wolves - 1 June On Sky

Being fair that wasn't a bad meeting, clearly the track being wet helped enormously, The interviews of Cook and Adams were amusing as well.

But the telling comment came from Tatum who stated riders generally don't like riding at Lakeside, looking at the fact no one appeared to be there I think that goes for spectators as well.

Edited by bigcatdiary

Absolutely right.

These live meetings are such a poor advert for Speedway.

Seen bigger crowds in my back Garden. :lol:

So let me get this right? Your a Hammers fan who is sitting at home complaining about the the fact some Hammers fans choose to sit at home instead of going? you do understand how that makes you look?

So let me get this right? Your a Hammers fan who is sitting at home complaining about the the fact some Hammers fans choose to sit at home instead of going? you do understand how that makes you look?

This could just be me, but perhaps a little irony is involved?

Negatives:

I can't stand Lakeside's circuit, it's a training track

Regardless of the days weather conditions it's was still rubbish track conditions, Kylmakorpi was spot on.

Positives:

It actually wasn't to bad racing in the end, the best Lakeside meeting on Sky ever I'd say

Poor Joonas, hope someone had plenty of tissues. Fingers crossed the showers were warm enough for him.

The crowd was admittedly smaller than normal but it's nit surprising. All those sitting at home have no idea how cold it was . It was F-E-R-EEEEEEE-Z-I-N-G early on and a doubt whether any reduced admission woukd have made much difference. it's a pity because a warm evening with the kids on half term usually brings in a much bigger crowd than that. Having said that, if they were all crammed in to a small area as at Wolves it would seem pretty big. Despite the s mall crowd I thought it was a great atmosphere, especially up to about heat 10 or 11 when the result was a certainty.

Haven't seen Kylmos interview but some of the fastest times of the season were being recorded early on so it couldn't have been that bad. Didn't seem to affect AJ , Ed or Lewis.

Max Clegg - what an improvement since he last came. I was well impressed.

What's happened to Freddie , going round at the back hugging the white line like that? Not the rider of a few years ago.

Well done Wolves, I nearly always enjoy their visits. A cold night but very enjoy able from a Lakeside perspective. Glad I went.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 2

Negatives:

I can't stand Lakeside's circuit, it's a training track

Regardless of the days weather conditions it's was still rubbish track conditions, Kylmakorpi was spot on.

Positives:

It actually wasn't to bad racing in the end, the best Lakeside meeting on Sky ever I'd say

Have you ever raced there ?

• Like 1

Another match I found on TiVo. Which I quite enjoyed but I can't help feeling watching Speedway riders at Purfleet is like watching a boxer fight with one hand tied behind their backs. I guess due to setup, you have to commit to hogging the inside or going very wide, which no rider from Wolves was committed to doing, although most paid lip service to that line.

I didn't think Lindgren was as bad as people some mooted, great first ride albeit defensive then went backwards, then went outside for a win and the committed to inside for final two rides with Kylmakorpi. Who I thought did a reasonable job, obviously doesn't like visiting Lakeside any more, I remember him riding wider than anyone there during his Hammers years. Impressed with Clegg. Howarth, Masters & Thorsell probably deserved more points than they scored. Bech was rubbish considering he has done many laps of the Arena Essex Raceway.

Jonsson was special, don't know how he can find grip inside or out no matter how he sets his bike up. Kennett & Bridger were dirt chasing entertaining, but my god the management need to find away so they don't have to ride together often, against a rider willing to fully commit to the outside they will take each other out. Pairing them with Lawson or Nilsson would be fine because they can ride the inside, both of whom had solid but unspectacular nights. Kerr & Mear did very little, Lakeside wont make the play offs with them in the team.

Think heat 15 showed the limitations of Bridger.

Well done to Lakeside on denying Wolves a point on there travels for only the second time this year. Is gate 1 always that advantageous at Purfleet?

Cracking match on SKY featuring 2 quality teams.

Who said racing at Lakeside was always boring?

2 great meetings this week on the box, doubt the PL matches will top those.

Clegg rode excellent the rest were average at best.

Bech, time must be running out surely?

• Like 2

One minute to midnight.

Arena-Essex can be a much maligned track at times; would be interested to know what regular Hammers fans think of the quality of racing this year!

I think the racing has been generally pretty good this year but you can only beat what's in front of you. I often say Wolves are usually good visitors and so it proved last night. The thing about this Wolves team is that they can all gate and that gives the home side something to race against, compared with Coventry a few weeks ago who were mostly pretty slow off the gate so a lot of races were over by bend two, then you get the sour grapes brigade blaming the track.

I know Peter Adams gets a bit of stick from some fans but I think it's very rare for Wolves to come to Lakeside at not put up a fight, whoever is in the side and I can only put that down to Peter Adams. Just a thought.

It's just a bit of a disappointment that Lindgren is not as dominant as he used to be otherwise this one could have gone down to the wire.

Edited by E I Addio

The word last night was that it was his last match for Wolves. Won't be that easy to replace though, IMO

Another match I found on TiVo. Which I quite enjoyed but I can't help feeling watching Speedway riders at Purfleet is like watching a boxer fight with one hand tied behind their backs. I guess due to setup, you have to commit to hogging the inside or going very wide, which no rider from Wolves was committed to doing, although most paid lip service to that line.

I didn't think Lindgren was as bad as people some mooted, great first ride albeit defensive then went backwards, then went outside for a win and the committed to inside for final two rides with Kylmakorpi. Who I thought did a reasonable job, obviously doesn't like visiting Lakeside any more, I remember him riding wider than anyone there during his Hammers years. Impressed with Clegg. Howarth, Masters & Thorsell probably deserved more points than they scored. Bech was rubbish considering he has done many laps of the Arena Essex Raceway.

Jonsson was special, don't know how he can find grip inside or out no matter how he sets his bike up. Kennett & Bridger were dirt chasing entertaining, but my god the management need to find away so they don't have to ride together often, against a rider willing to fully commit to the outside they will take each other out. Pairing them with Lawson or Nilsson would be fine because they can ride the inside, both of whom had solid but unspectacular nights. Kerr & Mear did very little, Lakeside wont make the play offs with them in the team.

Think heat 15 showed the limitations of Bridger.

He had to shut off when baulked by AJ and lost a lot of ground.

Well done to Lakeside on denying Wolves a point on there travels for only the second time this year. Is gate 1 always that advantageous at Purfleet?

Gate stats: Gate 1 = 5 wins, Gate 2 = 3 wins, Gate 3 = 3 wins and Gate 4 = 4 wins - so not that advantageous!

Negatives:

I can't stand Lakeside's circuit, it's a training track I value AJ's opinion above yours - he has actually ridden it - I doubt you have.

Regardless of the days weather conditions it's was still rubbish track conditions, Kylmakorpi was spot on.All praise to the track staff for even giving us a meeting at all - regardless of the weather conditions indeed.

Positives:

It actually wasn't too bad racing in the end, the best Lakeside meeting on Sky ever I'd say

Edited by TonyE

[

Edited by Daytripper

Now lets get this right.

I am NOT a Hammer fan.

I used to go a lot to see Arena Essex/Lakeside as it is not far from Kent.

I go to some meetings now.

I go to see Kent Kings.

I still think it is a BAD advert for Speedway these Live meetings that hardly anyone goes and when I have gone before are so spread out with delays.

OK . :nono:

Edited by AJ is King