British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Bcmma Cook

Future Of British Speedway?

We got pl speedway at weekends and the crowds are poor ..so quite clearly that not going to help save British speedway ...just anything else in sport etc the bigger the names the better the crowd .

I really can't see once a fortnight meetings on a Thursday being the answer. Just one more step on the road to oblivion.

Clubs should run on a night that suits them, but let's not get too hung up on 'big names'. It's not worth it.

• Like 1

Cardiff, in fact all gps, shows what people will turn out in force to watch, as did the big indiviuals in our heyday, olympique, blue ribbon etc. the golden helmet match race. public see a watered down product, and they are choosing not to attend

Nos. 5 and 6 are reserves, taking 4 programmed rides. Nos. 1-4 take 5 programmed rides.

The reserves meet each other twice, and the other riders once. The Nos. 1-4 meet each other twice, and the reserves only once.

The reserves have a protected heat (Heat 3), but ride against a reserve in two other heats, and both second-strings in their other heat. The second-strings also have a protected heat (Heat 12).

1: 1 & 2 v 1 & 2

2: 3 & 3 v 3 & 4

3: 5 & 6 v 5 & 6

4: 1 & 2 v 3 & 4

5: 3 & 4 v 1 & 2

6: 1 & 5 v 3 & 6

7: 2 & 4 v 1 v 5

8: 3 & 6 v 2 & 4

9: 2 & 4 v 3 & 6

10: 1 & 5 v 2 & 4

11: 3 & 6 v 1 & 5

12: 2 & 4 v 2 & 4

13: 3 & 6 v 3 & 6

14: 1 & 5 v 1 & 5

15: Nominated (optional)

16: Top Scorer (optional)

Or just run the 14 heats and have second half with 4 juniors thrown-in:

15: Juniors

16: Third-highest averaged home rider, Lowest averaged home reserve, Second-highest averaged away rider, 4th Heat 15

17: Second-highest averaged home rider, 3rd Heat 15, Third-highest averaged away rider, Lowest averaged away reserve

18: Four-highest averaged home rider, Highest averaged home reserve, Highest averaged away rider, 2nd Heat 15

19: Highest averaged home rider, 1st of Heat 15, Four-highest averaged away rider, Highest averaged away reserve

20: Final - Winner of Heats 16-19

(Highest scorers in Final over the course of the season qualify for ELRC and British Championship)

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

It seems to now be a fact that a lot of people are only interested in watching the top riders over here, if that is the case they should put the money up to pay thier wages. How many people are actual speedway fans who would go along to watch teams of any standard, rather than watching no speedway at all. Because if all the clubs brought in the top riders, there would be a lot of EL or what ever top flight of British speedway there is in the next few years, that would be closing down, if they want to ride over here than I am afraid they would have to ride for the sort of money that the clubs could actually afford to pay. After watching the Lakeside meeting on Sky this week, I think it would have been very hard to even pay the tea boy, they where lucky from what I saw if there was 200 people there. You just can't carry on running a club with numbers turning up for meeting like that. What a soory state of affairs we are in now. For a sport that 20 years ago wa standing room and packed like sardines standing room only.

It is now a matter of picking where you want to stand or sit.

• Like 1

It seems to now be a fact that a lot of people are only interested in watching the top riders over here, if that is the case they should put the money up to pay thier wages. How many people are actual speedway fans who would go along to watch teams of any standard, rather than watching no speedway at all. Because if all the clubs brought in the top riders, there would be a lot of EL or what ever top flight of British speedway there is in the next few years, that would be closing down, if they want to ride over here than I am afraid they would have to ride for the sort of money that the clubs could actually afford to pay. After watching the Lakeside meeting on Sky this week, I think it would have been very hard to even pay the tea boy, they where lucky from what I saw if there was 200 people there. You just can't carry on running a club with numbers turning up for meeting like that. What a soory state of affairs we are in now. For a sport that 20 years ago wa standing room and packed like sardines standing room only.

It is now a matter of picking where you want to stand or sit.

guilty....I wouldn't watch NL speedway..Honest answer

• Like 1

Cardiff, in fact all gps, shows what people will turn out in force to watch, as did the big indiviuals in our heyday, olympique, blue ribbon etc. the golden helmet match race. public see a watered down product, and they are choosing not to attend

And yet in the leagues where the stars are plying their trade, they are also struggling to some degree.

Rather than nothing?

The sounds smells and spectacle are still the same. The differences almost imperceptible.

My preference is EL but having watched NL meetings this year, I'd take that over nothing. As would Cradley, Eastie and Brummie fans.

Personal choice I suppose.

• Like 2

afraid so, it does nothing for me. yet a england vs australia test match, everytime!....

It seems to now be a fact that a lot of people are only interested in watching the top riders over here, if that is the case they should put the money up to pay thier wages.

I'd be happy to. Provide me a league with top stars and I'd pay £20 easy and even £25 isn't too steep when you compare PL at 16/17 pounds they are the league that is grossly exaggerated. Plus also compare those costs against Football top flight racing is worth £20+ with the top boys here.

You could argue that to stop the top PL boys riding in the EL PL supporters should put the money up to pay their wages also.

• Like 1

tasser

Edited by JOS50

And yet in the leagues where the stars are plying their trade, they are also struggling to some degree.

Rather than nothing?

The sounds smells and spectacle are still the same. The differences almost imperceptible.

My preference is EL but having watched NL meetings this year, I'd take that over nothing. As would Cradley, Eastie and Brummie fans.

Personal choice I suppose.

Sorry but the sounds and smells are not the same any more : sadly

Edited by New Science

tasser

really? And whys that? if YOU are intelligent enough to answer?

are 90% of british speedway fans "tassers" because they wont watch NL speedway? yet another poster that resorts to idiotic comments when they don't like a post

Cardiff, in fact all gps, shows what people will turn out in force to watch, as did the big indiviuals in our heyday,

They will, once a year for a GP. Think why all of those big individuals disappeared.

Perhaps one of the crippling aspects strangling British speedway is so many supporters can't see the bigger picture and think there's always a simple answer to a complex problem.

Rejecting NL, or PL for that matter out of ridiculous false pride is the height of stupidity. Sadly the sport seems riddled with it and that is what is driving it to the brink of oblivion. "I don't do PL or NL" - the curse of British speedway.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 2

really? And whys that? if YOU are intelligent enough to answer?

are 90% of british speedway fans "tassers" because they wont watch NL speedway? yet another poster that resorts to idiotic comments when they don't like a post

crowd at Cradley was good , last time I went

Edited by JOS50

PL Is my limit. Watched a season of NL racing and won't go back to it.