British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Bcmma Cook

Future Of British Speedway?

crowd at Cradley was good , last time I went

That must have been a good few years ago? I don't think the stadium is there any more?

A plea to the good people of Penge....lock him up in the stocks again and pelt him with rotten fruit and vegetables for another couple of months.Pleeeeeze :rolleyes:

• Like 3

That must have been a good few years ago? I don't think the stadium is there any more?

They ride at Wolverhampton, as they lost their home some time ago

The Heathens will be getting bigger crowds than some of the PL clubs

They will, once a year for a GP. Think why all of those big individuals disappeared.

Perhaps one of the crippling aspects strangling British speedway is so many supporters can't see the bigger picture and think there's always a simple answer to a complex problem.

Rejecting NL, or PL for that matter out of ridiculous false pride is the height of stupidity. Sadly the sport seems riddled with it and that is what is driving it to the brink of oblivion. "I don't do PL or NL" - the curse of British speedway.

Not really the height of stupidity is thinking that we should run something on a model like the pl that has clearly not worked ..the snobbery in speedway it's quite odd it tends to be from the pl and nl towards the El in some cases it almost hate and wanting it to fail .

What is driving speedway to oblivion is the mindless my league is better than your league mind set and fans not understanding that speedway has problems all round in every league.

Edited by orion
  • Like 6

good, great, fantastic, good on them!!....what other answer you want?

• Like 1

The promotions at most clubs need to up the game, they want to attract people to the sport but do no or very little advertising. I know it was before the days of the Internet but in the Coventry evening telegraph we always used to have an advert for the speedway, then on a Saturday in the pink there was the captains column.

In some ways the word promotion is as false as calling it an elite league.

"Promotion refers to raising customer awareness of a product or brand, generating sales, and creating brand loyalty. It is one of the four basic elements of the market mix, which includes the four P's: price, product, promotion, and place."

Edited by Coventry_Bee
  • Like 1

Racing at all levels can be good or poor. The NL meetings at Belle Vue have been excellent.

However, it is a fact of life that more people, particularly newcomers and casual supporters are more likely to be attracted to the highest level available in their locality. That is why the Aces draw much bigger crowds than the Colts and why Poole drew much bigger crowds than Bournemouth. That is why this idea of a super EL with only a few teams and the top riders, meeting home and away once and then those clubs running a PL level team to fill the majority of weeks of the season will not work. The small hardcore of fans will attend meetings at both levels but the casuals and newcomers will only turn up for what they will see as the first team, not for the reserves.

We know the sport was in serious decline when the top riders were racing here and that crowd levels were such that we couldn't offer anything approaching the money on offer elsewhere. Why do people seem to think that their return now would increase crowds to a level where they would, at the very least, pay for themselves. It is time to accept the financial realities and to cut our cloth accordingly. The sport has to live within its means to survive. Many changes and improvements need to be made. Promoters need to ensure that the sport is run more professionally. Chapman's new rule book has to be clear and concise, rules have to be interpreted fairly and consistently, teams have to retain riders from year to year, riders committed to the UK so fans can identify with them and the presentation at meetings has to be slicker and more attractive to the younger generation.

A combined league at a slightly higher level than the PL, either run as one league or, if necessary, divided into those who can afford the costs at that level and the rest at a lower level. A league which would involve only one match home and away with each other team plus a KO Cup would soon produce is own stars and the standard would improve over time hopefully, with mainly British talent. The casuals and newcomers, who have probably never heard of Woffinden, Janowski or even Hancock, would simply see it as the best league in the UK and that is sufficient to attract them.

Some point to the failure of a combined league in the 1990's but that was down in part to the failure of the EL clubs to share the top riders. It worked in the 1960's when there was a fairer distribution of riders and almost overnight a lot of top second division riders, Mauger, Brown and Monk to name but a few had developed into stars of the new league, more than able to compete with the stars of the old first division.

• Like 3

In some ways the word promotion is as false as calling it an elite league.

Nothing false about calling it the Elite at all ..it's the top division (elite ) in the uk unless you know a league that is stronger . This another one of those odd mind set again that happens speedway when is comes to PL and El ..people for some odd reason have a problem with El name thou quite clearly the Pl name if look at it is far more false .

Edited by orion
  • Like 2

You miss the point iris123! The Poster should have clarified they were watching Cradley inaction at Wolverhampton. They gave the impression the match actually took place at Cradley - read it carefully - and my comment was to try and emphasise that fact. I knew the match was not at Cradley Heath but being specific is all-important in my opinion. As usual, there was a chance for a dig at me and out came the old iris123 big spade again.

No reference to Wolverhampton there!

Yes,thanks.I am sure until you clarified the situation no-one else had a clue what the poster was getting at

It is good that you are back after your long absence as there is so much that needs to be clarified

For instance on the "Andre Compton...has he retired?" thread someone has posted

I heard that because his business is doing well, he doesn't want to commit to too much travelling, although he has had offers. Don't know if that's true or not.

Now I am sure we are all absolutely clueless as to who this poster is commenting about as there is no name mentioned.Please help us out on this one first

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

You miss the point iris123! The Poster should have clarified they were watching Cradley inaction at Wolverhampton. They gave the impression the match actually took place at Cradley - read it carefully - and my comment was to try and emphasise that fact. I knew the match was not at Cradley Heath but being specific is all-important in my opinion. As usual, there was a chance for a dig at me and out came the old iris123 big spade again.

No reference to Wolverhampton there!

Yes,thanks.I am sure until you clarified the situation no-one else had a clue what the poster was getting at

I am sure that ALL current speedway fans know that Cradley race home matches at Wolverhampton. But would a non-speedway fan who might see the reference but was becoming interested in the sport not wonder where Cradley were based in the Dudley Wood area?

A plea to the good people of Penge....lock him up in the stocks again and pelt him with rotten fruit and vegetables for another couple of months.Pleeeeeze :rolleyes:

Obviously they don't make strait-jackets as good as they used. :sad:

• Like 3

The difference between the elite and premier is closer than it has ever been , quite obvious when you consider most of the premier league guys ride in the Elite league.

With the exception of a few, its all about the standard of opposition that provides the entertainment not what league it is.

It's you who misses the point...as always.

Why would they need to clarify anything which is already perfectly clear? Where else do you think Cradley stage their matches?

If they were spreading their home matches across 2 tracks (say half at Wolves, half at Birmingham) they would need to clarify which one they went to and saw a good crowd.....but since they have only one base, there's nothing to clarify.

You really do come across as a real halfwit.

It's always been Cradley to me, first went there in '64 and it was fantastic, large very friendly crowd, loads a girls, couldn't have been much better. As for non speedway people reading this forum, blimey that ought to frighten off!

It's always been Cradley to me, first went there in '64 and it was fantastic, large very friendly crowd, loads a girls, couldn't have been much better. As for non speedway people reading this forum, blimey that ought to frighten off!

Not to Wolverhampton though but their 'traditional home' at Dudley Wood? But, as ever, the usual gang are on parade - the 'nutters brigade' as a friend who has a thriving Facebook calls them - iris123, pugwash, Darcys Onion and a few more. It really is a waste of time on this Forum. Too much of the mentality that is "attack the Poster and not the Post' is allowed to prevail on the group. But it has sadly always been that way as I see things.