British Speedway Forum

The devils team and manager had their eye on the 4s from the minute we got saved as a quartet we knew we had four riders that could win this and the way the lads gelled and worked together passing on information and set ups advice to each other was real teamwork also the polish mechanics for the 3 aussies were superb as was keith newman for kyle. In the grand scheme of things i know its only one event and we will struggle to make the playoffs but for the club and manager this was an immense achievement,plymouths first silverware in the pl. Thanks to all the fans whos team wasnt in the final they all seemed to be devils for a day good to catch up with paulco whist having a beer might of had a few more if they didnt turn the lights out!! Fantastic wknd👍

Edited by lewy
  • Like 5

belated congratulations to plymouth devils. the team that almost wasnt .

followed this on the updates site and it looked to be a great meeting . very posative comments from posters. well done to all concerned .

strange running the team event one after another, are the pits not big enough to get all the riders/gear in ?

maybe next year , the riders should be signed up for 2 days and not be allowed to pull out of the meeting . lost respect for all those guys that pulled out, but still watched sundays meeting . shame on you . hope the bspa can fine them and make sure it does not happen again .

it was only a one off meeting (sat/sun) so why moan about the money involved they forget all the meeting that the fans turned up , paid to see them . only one weekend out of your life . its not a deal breaker . ritchie lets the cat out of the bag . sloppy gob should keep it shut and let others sort it out . maybe needs the money for a new flux capacitor ! let himself down, big style .

again, well done the devils ,bandits , comets on the day . pity no throphies for 3rd/4th . panthers thought they just had to turn up .L.O.L.

think the earlier part of your post answers the second....

"Couldnt fit all the riders gear in"

Perhaps thats why they need to be paid properly as they have to pay for all that gear.

As for "Ritchie lets the cat out of the bag - sloppy gob"

It takes a bigger man to speak out when something is wrong even though you know you will get stick from some for it.

• Like 1

We was told camping was £20 but if you wanted to be hooked up to electric that was a staggering £50.

Camping for my tent was just £10 for the night.

An absolute bargain.

Fantastic weekend.

All the best

Rob

• Like 2

strange running the team event one after another, are the pits not big enough to get all the riders/gear in ?

To run the three semi-finals concurrently would leave too long a gap between an individual rider's heats. For example Aaron Summers (No2 in red in the first semi) raced in Heats 2 and 8, if the semis had run concurrently he would have ridden in Heats 4 & 22.

It also keeps the anticipation alive, would the excitement of the finale of the first semi been as high had Heats 11 & 12 actually been Heats 31 and 34?

• Like 5

Over from America and loved it. My 13 year old was at his first meeting and he thought it was fantastic. Said filling in a program really helped him understand what was happening. He was cheering for Workington as Ricky Wells was riding. He's already badgering me to move to California!

• Like 3

Overall I'd say the weekend was a success. Sure, there are bound to be some who will find fault in anything. I personally didn't think the individual worked very well with that format. Better to have a 16 rider, 23 heat format.

The weather was perfect and apart from the individual meeting the dust was kept to a minimum.

I couldn't make the weekend, but am interested what the camping facilities were like? Did any of you camp, and were there many fans doing the same thing? I have a touring caravan and if it was OK, may try and make it next year if it was any good. Comments anybody?

Thanks.

There were a fair few camping and we took our touring caravan on the 500 yard journey from our house which backs onto the showground :lol:

The campsite is basic but perfectly ok. £10 per night but the electric hook up at £50 was extortionate (although that is the showground not the speedway club afaik).Good atmosphere and having the facilities in the van to cook your own food and chill your own beer certainly reduced the costs of attending the event.

Hopefully see you there next year!

Re Camping -

Mixed feelings about this one. We went down with the intention of camping for 3 nights, with electric hook up. On arrival we were told we could now only camp for two nights because there was an event at the showground on Monday. Really annoying, but could have been a disaster if this was part of a main camping holiday, with the next sites booked. I booked Monday off work and was looking forward to the slightly longer break. Also the late arrival time - you could not get in until 5pm which was inconvenient. Lunchtime would be better.

The loss of the Sunday night meant camping with hook up now worked out at £35.00 a night - for that money you expect top quality, which Peterborough is not - very basic, dated facilities which did not appear to be cleaned and we had to prompt to get the loo roll refreshed. Didn't find any facilities for dish washing either. Not bad for £10.00 a night, but appalling for £35.00 (I appreciate hook up was my choice!)

Also had to pay the £2.00 parking fee for driving through the car park to get to the camp site!! If this was a donation to the Ben fund then great, but no one said anything about that to us.

Re Racing -

The racing was great. The track staff largely kept the dust down , though they seemed to struggle more with it on the Sunday for some reason. Earlier start would have been better on Saturday, followed by Big Screen TV showing the SWC round. Would have made more money than the singer I imagine. As would some decent bands.

It would have been nice to be able to pick up a printed race-sheet on Sunday rather than have to do all that writing, again a donation to the ben fund for a colour race card would have been a nice touch?

Good weekend all in all, with some niggles.

There were a fair few camping and we took our touring caravan on the 500 yard journey from our house which backs onto the showground :lol:

The campsite is basic but perfectly ok. £10 per night but the electric hook up at £50 was extortionate (although that is the showground not the speedway club afaik).Good atmosphere and having the facilities in the van to cook your own food and chill your own beer certainly reduced the costs of attending the event.

Hopefully see you there next year!

You're mental! I'd be in my own comfy bed

First and foremost I'm guessing that when the riders pay was revealed, not enough to even cover costs by the sounds of it, most of the Witches team decided it wasn't worth the effort!

out of interest how much was the pay rates? and who revealed?

Parking - £2 per day

Entrance - £20 per day, £30 for a 2 day pass (adults) Don't know children's and concessions admission

Camping - Pretty sure it was £10 per tent per night

Bargain.. !!

Bargain.. !!

And furthermore, if you're camping, you pay the £10 for that, but it saves you the £2 parking per day!! So it actually costs only £6 extra to camp. Unless you have a fancy caravan or want electric - that costs more.

Still rather impressed that I put up a tent all on my own :D

All the best

Rob

• Like 3

Post #181 revealed 1st amount of £106 but later on £160 & £163 were mentioned.

out of interest how much was the pay rates? and who revealed?

Apparently/allegedly it was a flat rate of£160 per rider. Which I'm reliably informed comes well short of the combined travel and machinery costs.

The source comes from a team manager and has apparently been confirmed by someone who talked to a rider about it, also there was an unconfirmed riders meeting to discuss the matter before the event even started.

This has been debated earlier in this thread.

Better not go any further with this as I'll no doubt get berated again about being negative.