British Speedway Forum

True but it just fully illustrates how totally stupid it is putting a major event on which results in a clash with a GP event and causes riders to missout. Another demonstration of why British speedway is on the decline.

I take your point but I think the crowd is significantly boosted by having the meeting staged the day before the GP.

I do think the qualification should not include the riders who are going to be at Cardiff.

True but it just fully illustrates how totally stupid it is putting a major event on which results in a clash with a GP event and causes riders to missout. Another demonstration of why British speedway is on the decline.

However I do have to agree with this, maybe have it after Cardiff? Riders can still ride without fear of missing Cardiff and crowds will still be boosted by the crowds of Cardiff, because most people hang around after the GP, Couldn't the pairs be on the Sunday or Monday?

That's a touch harsh. Staging the meeting the night before Cardiff boosts the attendance and gives supporters the chance to see two excellent meetings in two days.

It worked for years but it's only recently with the huge increase in doubling-up that the chances of more than one rider being eligible for both events has greatly increased.

It's so easy for people to condemn the sport as being stupid without actually checking why a situation exists. It's a straight choice: accept that some riders will now have to miss the Pairs for the GP or give up what is a very successful and popular curtain raiser for Cardiff.

• Like 3

Ridiculous statement. Holding the Pairs on the same weekend as the Grand Prix makes the crowd much bigger than it otherwise would be. It adds to the whole weekend. You're bitter because two of your riders are missing out. Holding the Pairs on the same weekend as the Grand Prix is one of the things the sport gets right.

• Like 2

That's a touch harsh. Staging the meeting the night before Cardiff boosts the attendance and gives supporters the chance to see two excellent meetings in two days.

It worked for years but it's only recently with the huge increase in doubling-up that the chances of more than one rider being eligible for both events has greatly increased.

It's so easy for people to condemn the sport as being stupid without actually checking why a situation exists. It's a straight choice: accept that some riders will now have to miss the Pairs for the GP or give up what is a very successful and popular curtain raiser for Cardiff.

Ridiculous statement. Holding the Pairs on the same weekend as the Grand Prix makes the crowd much bigger than it otherwise would be. It adds to the whole weekend. You're bitter because two of your riders are missing out. Holding the Pairs on the same weekend as the Grand Prix is one of the things the sport gets right.

However I do have to agree with this, maybe have it after Cardiff? Riders can still ride without fear of missing Cardiff and crowds will still be boosted by the crowds of Cardiff, because most people hang around after the GP, Couldn't the pairs be on the Sunday or Monday?

As Dandelion points out, run it on the Sunday and then everyone wins.

can we not just have guests ? ;)

Maybe you can guest for this too? As well as the tractor ;)

Did I just say something right for once? :o lol, I am not saying this because I watch Newcastle most weeks, I am saying this in the interest of the event, I'd like to see Danny King riding too, but he won't be either :( (Presumably???)

Edited by Dandelion

But I might be guesting at Cardiff, lol :)
  • Like 1

Did I just say something right for once? :o lol, I am not saying this because I watch Newcastle most weeks, I am saying this in the interest of the event, I'd like to see Danny King riding too, but he won't be either :( (Presumably???)

The only thing about running it on the Sunday, I guess, is a possible clash with Poland, which might scupper it.

Edited by Steve Park

The only thing about running it on the Sunday, I guess, is a possible clash with Poland, which might scupper it.

Sad but true.

This is perhaps another example of where an over-reliance on doubling-up riders by the Diamonds can backfire.

Sad but true.

This is perhaps another example of where an over-reliance on doubling-up riders by the Diamonds can backfire.

Or a reminder of where we are. PL / EL double uppers as our only choice of GP reserve Wild cards.

Exactly surely something can be worked.

How's it a ridculous statement as by not having those riders present not only totally devalues the meeting but will also knock the attendence down. Also with the point a couple have mentioned concerning the PL/EL doubling up argument It has nothing to do with the qualification for the GP event.

Edited by acclennell