British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe V Rye House Pl 19-06-2k16

Shadders are you not there? as Steve Ribbons has just text that hes the only Rye fan there. If you are, meet up with him and you can form the Independent Rye Army

There were well over a dozen of us there Rayleigh. Mostly sheltering from the rain close to the first bend.

Just spoken to Steve R for the first time in ages. Seems he'd describe his presence at Scunny as being "a cynical observer".

Wonder how many others who still care deeply about the Rockets (despite that flippancy) will feel able to return now the poison's gone from the place?

Just spoken to Steve R for the first time in ages. Seems he'd describe his presence at Scunny as being "a cynical observer".

Wonder how many others who still care deeply about the Rockets (despite that flippancy) will feel able to return now the poison's gone from the place?

Crowds seem up from last year. I've spoken to people I haven't seen there for years. The team isn't the strongest and the stadium is in the process of regeneration, but it's all looking positive.

• Like 1

THE MANAGEMENT of the Henderson Insurance Scunthorpe Scorpions have made a terrific goodwill gesture to supporters – by allowing them free re-admission to a future single-header meeting at the Eddie Wright Raceway this season on production of their re-admission tickets from Sunday’s abandoned clash with Rye House Rockets.

The meeting was abandoned after just two races due to heavy rain, with the scores standing at 6-6.

Some fans, in particular those from further afield, already collected a full refund on the day when leaving the stadium by surrendering their re-admission tickets. Those who didn’t collect this refund are now entitled to the re-admission offer.

Standard re-admission policy in British Speedway sees fans paying per completed heat, with the rate of re-admission worked out on the number of races to go until Heat 10. But that will not be applied in this case.

Promoter Rob Godfrey explains: “I believe it’s about looking after the fans, and I hope they will appreciate this gesture.

“We were a bit embarrassed at Sunday’s events. The rain arrived slightly before we expected, and the supporters only got to see two rain-affected heats. I don’t feel I can charge them anything for that.

“We did incur a number of costs by getting as far as we did. But Scunthorpe Speedway never have and never will be about ripping off the fans.

“On the production of the re-admission ticket from Sunday’s abandoned meeting, supporters will be able to gain full admission to any single-header Scorpions’ meeting at the Eddie Wright Raceway this season.”

Godfrey also praised Scunthorpe skipper Josh Auty for offering to forsake his earnings from his Heat 1 victory in the abandoned meeting.

“It was a lovely offer from Josh Auty, it really was, not to take his earnings from his Heat 1 win. But it’s not something we are going to follow through; he will be paid for that race.

“It’s proof that Josh is Scunthorpe through-and-through.”

EDIT: Just to clarify, you either got a refund on the day or you are now entitled to full re-admission to a future single-header this season. It's not both. Effectively it's saving (adult) ticket holders £7, as opposed to if standard re-admission policy was applied, i.e. on the production and surrender of the Rye House re-admission ticket you get in free, rather than having to pay an additional £7.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 2

Very surprised at getting a full refund. Never happened before. Full marks to Mr Godfrey for this brilliant gesture

• Like 2

I speak as I find which doesn't always please folk, but hey-hoe, 2 quick points:

1. I attended the amateur race-fest ran in postitvely tropical conditions the day before and though I couldn't make the Rye match anyway, I never saw the forcast and wouldn't have dreamt of the rain that arrived on Sunday.

2. Full refund + 1 free meet - now THAT's what i call promoting, very well done to Rob & Scunny....

2. Full refund + 1 free meet - now THAT's what i call promoting, very well done to Rob & Scunny....

Full refund or a free meeting surely. Anyone that got a refund would have been relieved of their ticket I would assume.

• Like 2

Full refund or a free meeting surely. Anyone that got a refund would have been relieved of their ticket I would assume.

Yes, we were given a full refund on return of the tickets on our way out Edited by Shads

Ah, prob got it but that was how I read it. That is what happens when supposed to be working and looking into the monitor, as opposed to at it, to ensure no-one is standing behind me :lol: ....

It's definitely only one or the other (I'm sure that's how it reads as well, but I will change the wording of a couple of sentences just to make it absolutely clear).

Either you had your full refund on the day, or you can now use the ticket to get into any single header this year.

All the best

Rob

Ah, prob got it but that was how I read it. That is what happens when supposed to be working and looking into the monitor, as opposed to at it, to ensure no-one is standing behind me :lol: ....

No problem, if you've read it that way, there's a chance that others may as well. I've now changed the wording so it definitely can't be read like that.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

All righty then, no probs. Still a good gesture from Rob & Scunny....