British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Mildenhall -v- Cradley Off

Can somebody explain to me what the hell ACTUALLY happened?

Can somebody explain to me what the hell ACTUALLY happened?

Here goes.... Luke Chessell claimed he had no machinery after problems with the two bikes used as a guest in a couple of PL meetings. Cradley booked Matt Williamson as a guest for the meeting (quite acceptable within current rules). Kevin Jolly blew a gasket and cancelled the meeting. On reflection he changed his mind and tried to get the meeting back on, but for whatever reason that wasn't possible. Social media goes into meltdown and KJ announces he's taking a short break from speedway.

Quite a few people, unaware of the drama unfolding, turn up at West Row for the meeting and are quite rightly disappointed and angry.

That's how I understand it. Please feel free to correct any inaccuracies

Edited by Shads

Trouble is that mildenhalls second statement sounded half hearted and begrudging. Now we know the full sp I would throw the book at the promoters .

I wonder what slant The Speedway Star will put on this, and will the fact that one of their main advertisers is part of the Promotion at West Row have any impact ?

Trouble is that mildenhalls second statement sounded half hearted and begrudging. Now we know the full sp I would throw the book at the promoters .

...and possibly see another track lost to the sport? :unsure:

Edited by Guest

If needs be, yes ! Be it temporary or for good , that would depend on whether or not anyone else would want to take up the promotion. A strong message needs to be sent out to promoters of this mentality that they cannot hold the sport to ransom if things don't go their way !!! As I said in a previous comment Jolly should loose his license to demonstrate that the sport is wagging the tail not the promoters !!! Rules is rules whether you like them or not !!! Get on with it and abide by them !!!

PS. I wonder what would have happened if the boot had been on the other foot !!!

Edited by Aroundtheboards

I understand Kevin Jolly's issue regarding Williamson replacing Chessell but what does he really want? Cradley are working within the permitted rules. Also, does he want the fans to turn up and watch Mildenhall race against Clegg and Morris and then, with no disrepect to Basford, Andrews and Cupitt but three three pointers and then another one that would have to be bought in. Speedway is still an entertainment sport and without a third heat leader, the meeting would've been over after ten or eleven heats. He's messed up terribly here and it'll be very interesting to see what happens. Excuse my ignorance, but is he in sole charge of Mildenhall speedway?

Theres no escaping the fact that Kevin Jolly got it horribly wrong and will have to pay the penalty for his actions. Cradley are not the first team to exploit the rules and they won't be the last (Mildenhall included). However the deed has now been done, Kevin has impacted his own business and let down his own fans who in my mind should make a goodwill gesture to them.

However hounding the man out of the sport is ludicrous. He is a passionate Speedway Promoter who puts everything into his club and sometimes over steps the mark. Surely the best way forward is for the SCB to levy the appropriate fines, inflict a stern slap on the wrist and use it as a lesson for everyone for the future that whether you agree with the rules or not they need to be followed.

Driving a promoter out of the sport & placing a club in jeopardy cannot in any way to coin a well used phrase be "in the best interests of Bristish Speedway".

• Like 5

Theres no escaping the fact that Kevin Jolly got it horribly wrong and will have to pay the penalty for his actions. Cradley are not the first team to exploit the rules and they won't be the last (Mildenhall included). However the deed has now been done, Kevin has impacted his own business and let down his own fans who in my mind should make a goodwill gesture to them.

However hounding the man out of the sport is ludicrous. He is a passionate Speedway Promoter who puts everything into his club and sometimes over steps the mark. Surely the best way forward is for the SCB to levy the appropriate fines, inflict a stern slap on the wrist and use it as a lesson for everyone for the future that whether you agree with the rules or not they need to be followed.

Driving a promoter out of the sport & placing a club in jeopardy cannot in any way to coin a well used phrase be "in the best interests of Bristish Speedway".

I endorse what you say Sigs4Kings but let's remember - we are talking about British speedway and the possible way its top administrators like to react.

I endorse what you say Sigs4Kings but let's remember - we are talking about British speedway and the possible way its top administrators like to react.

Should react or we have promtions pulling the plug on meetings because they get a bit pissy, ask yourself if Speedway was helped or embarrassed by what happened then ask if someone should be reprimanded for it to try and stop it happening again. He should have his licence removed thanked for his services and told he wont be allowed to return

Should react or we have promtions pulling the plug on meetings because they get a bit pissy, ask yourself if Speedway was helped or embarrassed by what happened then ask if someone should be reprimanded for it to try and stop it happening again. He should have his licence removed thanked for his services and told he wont be allowed to return

It should follow the precedent set in the Belle Vue/Poole burst pipe meeting. A fine, a deduction of 3 league points and Mildenhall not allowed to call off any meetings without the agreement of the SCB for 2 years.

• Like 9

It should follow the precedent set in the Belle Vue/Poole burst pipe meeting. A fine, a deduction of 3 league points and Mildenhall not allowed to call off any meetings without the agreement of the SCB for 2 years.

​The second response (above) looks the ideal punishment for Mildenhall - especially as a possible precedent for a happening with similarities has been dealt with by the sport's administrators.

If fans who spent time and money going to this match, decide not to go to any more, may get closed due to reducing income.

If fans who spent time and money going to this match, decide not to go to any more, may get closed due to reducing income.

​Obviously I feel sorry for those supporters who did travel to see the match but how many was that? The cancellation was on view on websites from mid-morning Sunday onwards, and I am sure that other would-be supporters made a check before travelling in view of the weekend's weather conditions. I do not dispute that action should note taken against Kevin Jolly/Mildenhall speedway but not to the extent that there is an enforced closure on the track! Punishment as outlined by John Leslie looks most adequate to me.

Here goes.... Luke Chessell claimed he had no machinery after problems with the two bikes used as a guest in a couple of PL meetings. Cradley booked Matt Williamson as a guest for the meeting (quite acceptable within current rules). Kevin Jolly blew a gasket and cancelled the meeting. On reflection he changed his mind and tried to get the meeting back on, but for whatever reason that wasn't possible. Social media goes into meltdown and KJ announces he's taking a short break from speedway.

Quite a few people, unaware of the drama unfolding, turn up at West Row for the meeting and are quite rightly disappointed and angry.

That's how I understand it. Please feel free to correct any inaccuracies

I see, thank you :) Seems like a weird situation, I didn't know any of this was going on until last night, I hope it gets sorted out and Mildenhall speedway remains :(