British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Mitcham Stadium, Surrey

​I recall Frank Arnold making an application for Mitcham to be admitted to the National League, Division Three, for the 1947 speedway eason. This was obviously objected to by Wimbledon because of its proximity to Plough Lane.

However, I seem to recall another application was made on behalf of Mitcham towards the start of the 1950s, which again was objected to by Wimbledon and justifiably upheld.

The only other time that an effort was made to stage motorsport there was in early 1948 when an American midget car team came to London for a month's programme of racing. They had already secured applications to race at Stamford Bridge and Walthamstow and made an inspection of Mitcham. However, they did not proceed further as they felt the stadium was 'too isolated in regard to public transport' facilities and instead had a one meeting only appearance on a track laid round the Charlton football pitch at The Valley which attracted 50,000 spectators (a figure the midgets also attracted for one of their Stamford Bridge meetings).

So far as the efforts to stage speedway at Mitcham are concerned, the former West Ham team manager Frank Arnold was the 1947 applicant, but I am unable to find much information in regard to the possible 1950s bid. For my part, I had little time for speedway interests in this period because of National Service with the RAF. However, if any BSF members can help with information in regard to the possible second Mitcham application it would be appreciated.

As a sports venue over the years several sports were tried and failed at Mitcham Stadium - before WW2 it was rugby league and baseball, and again in the mid-1940s I think rugby league made a brief appearance there.

Edited by Guest

Was this sandy lane, the former home of tooting and Mitcham f.c

Was this sandy lane, the former home of tooting and Mitcham f.c

no it was a seperate stadium opposite the football ground.

This is new to me! I'm from Carshalton, my grandparents were from Wimbledon, and I worked in Mitcham - and I have never heard of this stadium! I just searched and found a pic of the stadium, and the footy ground. The site is now bordered by Sandy Lane, Priestley Rd, Eastfields Rd, and Fernlea Rd. Yup, I had no idea...

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw055289

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

​In the 1950s there was a cycle speedway track in what was the car park of the old Mitcham Stadium. It was home for several local teams managed by rider Jimmy Kilsby. I actually rode there in several matches as a visitor when I was with a south east London club Brockley Boomerangs.

I just wondered - does any BSF member recall the names of the teams run by Kilsby that used the Mitcham Stadium car park cycle speedway track?

Edited by Guest

Did get a few mentins some years back and i did manage to find a photo

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=42554&hl=+mitcham%20+stadium

Thanks. Actually, after I made that post, I found yours! As as said, I'm just surprised that I had never known of the stadium,seeing it was that local. I know the stadium was demolished in 1955, but still...

Steve

Edited by chunky

​In the 1950s there was a cycle speedway track in what was the car park of the old Mitcham Stadium. It was home for several local teams managed by rider Jimmy Kilsby. I actually rode there in several matches as a visitor when I was with a south east London club Brockley Boomerangs.

I just wondered - does any BSF member recall the names of the teams run by Kilsby that used the Mitcham Stadium car park cycle speedway track?

Don't know much about the history of cycle speedway but I did find these teams that seem to be connected to Mitcham. Mitcham Broadsiders, Mitcham Broadsiders Cubs, Mitcham Kiwis, Mitcham Racers, Mitcham Tigers and St Hellier Saints.

Don't know much about the history of cycle speedway but I did find these teams that seem to be connected to Mitcham. Mitcham Broadsiders, Mitcham Broadsiders Cubs, Mitcham Kiwis, Mitcham Racers, Mitcham Tigers and St Hellier Saints.

That's an interesting list of clubs for the Mitcham area HertsRacer. If they were circa 1954-1956 era they may well have used the track in the old car park at Mitcham Stadium - where yours truly (oh! modest me!) rode for several visiting teams - and that being the case the teams mentioned by HertsRacer would have been managed and organised by Jimmy Kilsby.

Edited by Guest

The Racers and St.Heliers Saints were based by Mitcham Common.The Broadsiders in Streatham.So would seem to have nothing to do with Mitcham Stadium or Jimmy Kilsby

By the time of the St.Helier Saints he league consisted of

Tooting Tigers, Wandsworth Aces, Washington Wasps, Cheam Cherokees, Chessington Aces, Battersea Broadsiders, Battersea Racers, Clapham Racers, Clapham Phantoms, Beddington Hammers, Carshalton Comets, Tolworth Tigers, Raynes Park Racers, St. Helier Saints,and Morden Stars.

http://www.heliermemories.org.uk/page_id__289.aspx