British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Matt Fords Vision For The Elite League In 2017.

If thems the rules then of course MF and all other teams will stick with their original squad - subject to injury of course.

If matt ford wants more meetings why doesn't he resurrect the buccaneers. I used to enjoy the NL matches at wimborne road.

• Like 1

If matt ford wants more meetings why doesn't he resurrect the buccaneers. I used to enjoy the NL matches at wimborne road.

It never paid its way mate. Thats why it was stopped. But it did produce riders Kyle Newman and Kyle Howarth to name two.

The easiest answer is to bring back the K O Cup in the first instance.

Edited by Starman2006

It never paid its way mate. Thats why it was stopped. But it did produce riders Kyle Newman and Kyle Howarth to name two.

The easiest answer is to bring back the K O Cup in the first instance.

Did the Buccaneers ride in the same week as Poole? I can see why fans wouldn't go to watch two meetings in the same week, due to time and money constraints, but a meeting on the weeks where Poole don't have a home meeting? For the fans who want to go to a meeting every week? You mentioned the riders that the Buccaneers produced, I just wonder how many more would have come through given another couple of seasons. I just wish promoters would take a longer term view with these projects. That being said, if you are losing money it must be difficult to keep going.

Other alternatives, a K O Cup, a League Cup, Four Team tournaments? The drawback being that you would still be facing the same teams.

Did the Buccaneers ride in the same week as Poole? I can see why fans wouldn't go to watch two meetings in the same week, due to time and money constraints, but a meeting on the weeks where Poole don't have a home meeting? For the fans who want to go to a meeting every week? You mentioned the riders that the Buccaneers produced, I just wonder how many more would have come through given another couple of seasons. I just wish promoters would take a longer term view with these projects. That being said, if you are losing money it must be difficult to keep going.

Other alternatives, a K O Cup, a League Cup, Four Team tournaments? The drawback being that you would still be facing the same teams.

You have a far point about the Buccaneers, but it just didn't pay so Matt deamed it not viable, so the main thing is the EL. A league cup was tried in 03 and again wasnt supported across the board so that was pulled, the only alturnative is as i said, bring back the K O Cup, that would plug most gaps in the league across the board, and that imo would be enough to give all clubs Speedway pretty much every week except during the World cup.

Edited by Starman2006

IF the NL was on a non EL week it should pay at Poole?

IF Poole can't sustain NL nobody can!

Edited by Trees
  • Like 1

IF the NL was on a non EL week it should pay at Poole?

IF Poole can't sustain NL nobody can!

Unfortunately its been one of those seasons where we've had the longest breaks ive known, which is not normally the case. And yes, it wasnt viable, which was a shame as look at the riders its started to produce. Newman Howarth sargeant Garrity the list goes on, so it did work. But its all down to cost, people only have so much disposable money even in Poole.

Edited by Starman2006

Unfortunately its been one of those seasons where we've had the longest breaks ive known, which is not normally the case. And yes, it wasnt viable, which was a shame as look at the riders its started to produce. Newman Howarth sargeant Garrity the list goes on, so it did work. But its all down to cost, people only have so much disposable money even in Poole.

Maybe then if the EL does go to one night, therefore one meeting each fortnight at home, then the other week could be NL or PL.

The Buccs didn't work for a number of reasons. Even admission prices as low as £5 on occasion did not attract enough fans. The gulf between EL and NL just doesn't suit many supporters - and branding them 'Bournemouth' didn't help with the identity either imo!

If it works elsewhere then great, although I am a believer in a system that having an EL and a PL-standard team with some riders appearing in both sides together with the right pricing differential could work in providing regular fixtures.

• Like 1

Edinburgh and Sheffield have organised meetings against National league sides this season, where they put out their second strings / reserves and a couple of local youngsters as trialists / guests to even up the standard of the two teams. Would this work? A couple of challenge matches against Somerset or some other Premier League team? Would this attract fans?

The meetings need to have a point to them. The occasional friendly at the start of the season might be ok. but a smattering of meaningless 'challenge' meetings during the season - unless both sides are packed out with riders not usually seen on these shores - will not attract fans in sufficient numbers!!

• Like 1

so if folk havent got any money for NL how are they going to have money for more EL matches that are more expensive

so if folk havent got any money for NL how are they going to have money for more EL matches that are more expensive

Because you'd have one meeting a week, not 2. But hey, dont concern yourself.

Because you'd have one meeting a week, not 2. But hey, dont concern yourself.

but youve now got to have 2 sometimes 3 matches a week to get your EL Fixtures in before cut off date , and if weather turns sour it could be worse so that dont figure

13 matches left to get in .....with only about a month or just over to get them in

so going june with no matches was not really a good idea, so if you'd had one a week in june it would of worked a whole lot better for fans ...

• Like 2