British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Matt Fords Vision For The Elite League In 2017.

So what would hou suggest? Ban Holder, Zagar, Iversen, Jonsson, Lindgren, Doyle etc? Good servants to British speedway.

Drop the standard across the board to PL level so Britain never again produces top class riders. Or if one comes through he is banned from riding here because he has got too good?

We need to raise the standard not dilute it to PL level.

Squad system is the way ahead. Ten riders in a squad. Still have a team 'points' limit of some form. Riders who are not used by their club are automatically available for all other clubs to sign.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 3

All this talk of a merger or amalgamation is BS in my opinion!! There will not be one big league (+NL), there will always be a senior league/division as there is in every other country.

Whether there can be controls - and/or incentives - in place on team building to make promotion/relegation effective - I'm not sure?

My preference would be for 6-man teams from a squad of 8 or 9 riders plus a cup competition given full credibility by the powers that be to generate more fixtures.

Edited by Skidder1

So what would hou suggest? Ban Holder, Zagar, Iversen, Jonsson, Lindgren, Doyle etc? Good servants to British speedway.

Drop the standard across the board to PL level so Britain never again produces top class riders. Or if one comes through he is banned from riding here because he has got too good?

We need to raise the standard not dilute it to PL level.

Squad system is the way ahead. Ten riders in a squad. Still have a team 'points' limit of some form. Riders who are not used by their club are automatically available for all other clubs to sign.

NOT sure you would have to ban the riders you mention. It's not as though they, unlike the Maugers and Nielsens of their day, are unbeatable. Didn't Adam Ellis beat Andreas Jonsson round Lakeside on Friday.

Of course some teams might have a superior No. 1 to others. That is the case right now. These days it seems it is the Nos 6/7 who actually win meetings. Again, look at Paul Stark at Lakeside.

I agree re there ever being one big league again, it won’t happen – a top league of comparable structure to the BLC a few years ago seems a decent option. I think the BLC was almost a good idea with a bit of alterations.

The rest could then battle it out in a high value development league with “top flight teams” dipping into that league for squad picks to supplement the likes of Doyle.

Obv we are not like football where each league finds it's natural level. The EL is a concept, not the pinnacle. EG were C oventry to drop down to the PL with the exact same team (impossible, but just say) they culdn't win it. But the point is that you have the likes of Bomber, KK,C Holder, Zagar etc...

That seems fair enough to me, I'm glad to see these guys in British speedway. Squads is to me a good idea but not 10 - too much imo. 6 rider EL with squad of 8 would be about right.

All this talk of a merger or amalgamation is BS in my opinion!! There will not be one big league (+NL), there will always be a senior league/division as there is in every other country.

I'm sure Peter Oakes who reported on this in the Speedway Star will be greatly impressed by your informed comment.

I'm sure Peter Oakes who reported on this in the Speedway Star will be greatly impressed by your informed comment.

So pleased he is keeping up with informed opinion then!! I guess he's not a follower of yours?!

Most talk I have heard lately seems to suggest 2 larger leagues (of 6 man teams) with all riders guaranteed to have 5 rides.

Probably with an additional but smaller National/Development League.

If that does not come to fruition, is there anything in the rule book to prevent a team like Poole, who want more meetings, to run in the PL aswell?

(would not be easy to fit the fixtures all in, of course)

NL didn't work for them, but maybe PL would, since they could use a few EL riders + some other assets.

• Like 1

Most talk I have heard lately seems to suggest 2 larger leagues (of 6 man teams) with all riders guaranteed to have 5 rides.

Probably with an additional but smaller National/Development League.

If that does not come to fruition, is there anything in the rule book to prevent a team like Poole, who want more meetings, to run in the PL aswell?

(would not be easy to fit the fixtures all in, of course)

NL didn't work for them, but maybe PL would, since they could use a few EL riders + some other assets.

Posibly not, but like most tracks in this country we are governed by dogs.

Edited by Starman2006

Obviously something has to be done to stabilise the sport, that much is obvious.

But it's vital we keep the divisions separate to maintain an level of credibility.

Obviously something has to be done to stabilise the sport, that much is obvious.

But it's vital we keep the divisions separate to maintain an level of credibility.

Unless something dramatically changes you will have no choice but to make it one league or a North South divide and a play off system at the end of the season where you take 4 from the South and 4 from the North and a grand final., But still keeping the NDL separate to bring on BRITISH riders. Every single year we have this discusion, and clearly somewhere down the line its being lost...

Edited by Starman2006

Personally I think an El with two set race nights ala the polish/swedish model. If clubs want more meetings, allow them to run a Pl side also minus the top riders. Would give an expanded Pl, possibly needing to drop to 6 man teams to accommodate the extra clubs. Pl could run any night of the week, but El clubs would always have priority on riders in case of a clash. Sensible fixture planning should ensure this isn't an issue.

• Like 1

Personally I think an El with two set race nights ala the polish/swedish model. If clubs want more meetings, allow them to run a Pl side also minus the top riders. Would give an expanded Pl, possibly needing to drop to 6 man teams to accommodate the extra clubs. Pl could run any night of the week, but El clubs would always have priority on riders in case of a clash. Sensible fixture planning should ensure this isn't an issue.

We've all talked about set race nights for years now but its just not happening. You have to ask the question why ?

Edited by Starman2006

We've all talked about set race nights for years now but its just not happening. You have to ask the question why ?

You know why!!! Only work if you give clubs an option of two days like weds/thurs.
  • Like 1

You know why!!! Only work if you give clubs an option of two days like weds/thurs.

Then why hasn't it been done ?

Edited by Starman2006