British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Lakeside V Poole Friday 1st July

there is no easy way to fix the problems in british speedway, hence the staggered fixture list in all three leagues. Some sports just go out of fashion, and the yearly tinkering of the rules won't bring the crowds back. Poole get healthy attendances, so have a different agenda to most of the other clubs.

But you never answered the question..

The real problem is that 'UK Speedway' is a shadow of what use to be a weekly team event that by and large you could rely upon. The conflict between riders availability and promoters desire to put on some sort of match in the face of adversity is sheer nonsense. The sport has to accept that the top names are not coming back, it is simply not convenient to ride in this country. The sooner people who run this sport start to think 'British Speedway' and basically sod the rest and start building for the future with home grown talent the better it will be. It has worked in Germany where attendances are up. So many are now getting out of the habit of going to live speedway in this country that those in charge need to do something now and not wait until the winter for more hot air and no action. It will be too late. I have never known such a poor structure to the fixture list irrespective of the weather and to have teams without a meeting for five or six weeks is p.... poor and those responsible should hang their heads in shame. You have let down every supporter in the country. I really think that the sport is on a knife edge and decisions need to be made now and stop tinkering about. Get on with change.

• Like 3

The real problem is that 'UK Speedway' is a shadow of what use to be a weekly team event that by and large you could rely upon. The conflict between riders availability and promoters desire to put on some sort of match in the face of adversity is sheer nonsense. The sport has to accept that the top names are not coming back, it is simply not convenient to ride in this country. The sooner people who run this sport start to think 'British Speedway' and basically sod the rest and start building for the future with home grown talent the better it will be. It has worked in Germany where attendances are up. So many are now getting out of the habit of going to live speedway in this country that those in charge need to do something now and not wait until the winter for more hot air and no action. It will be too late. I have never known such a poor structure to the fixture list irrespective of the weather and to have teams without a meeting for five or six weeks is p.... poor and those responsible should hang their heads in shame. You have let down every supporter in the country. I really think that the sport is on a knife edge and decisions need to be made now and stop tinkering about. Get on with change.

You've just told us what everybody has already discused..

so then how are they going to find dates for more meetings next season as what mr ford wants????

What Mr Ford wants is a wish list at the moment, nothing more. He has canvassed the opinion of his customers and there it rests for,the moment.

The key ingredients are firstly what format will the paying public support and how many meetings will top riders commit to. It's clear that the public these days don't really want to support challenge matches, test matches or KO cup type things. The legue only gets by because of Sky money. It's a tragedy that Birmingham, Peterborough and Eastbourne couldn't sustain EL racing. If those clubs had remained in the EL it wouldn't be a bad league assuming the riders would support it, but those clubs absence indicates the scale of the problem facing the EL

Let's see what the AGM brings.

If promoters think that they should quit. Why not run any meetings at all and have no losses?

i've been to fifteen tracks already this season across all three leagues. At the vast majority of the meetings the crowds have been poor. It's amazing how some clubs survive. The promoters must have deep pockets or very clever accountants!

What Mr Ford wants is a wish list at the moment, nothing more. He has canvassed the opinion of his customers and there it rests for,the moment.

Not yet he hasn't...

You've just told us what everybody has already discused..

So what!

No one is listening anyway and I was bored because no speedway again tonight in Ipswich

• Like 1

So what!

No one is listening anyway and I was bored because no speedway again tonight in Ipswich

Have a word with Gavin, he's the Ippo spokesperson... :rofl:

Edited by Starman2006

Back to tomorrow nights meeting. I don't blame lakeside for not wanting to cancel it, but if I was Jon Cook, I'd be embarrassed to promote it!

• Like 1

Maybe lakeside understand the need to get meetings raced in time before the cut off. One small crowd and a victory will be compensated if they complete their meetings in time and then have a packed house for a play off match. Need to look at the long term gain

Or maybe British Speedway is a total farce with zero credibility?

Setting off now from Manchester so I beat the queues.........

Dont want to get there too early though as I might end up riding for Poole!!!

Good thinking. Is he bored too

Well he keeps obsessing about Kyle Newman, so I would say so! :D

Complete joke that this fixture goes ahead .I can see it from both sides but the bottom line is common sense must come into play!!!!! eeeeer....maybe not,this is speedway,the fans dont matter,the inner circle of speedway works when a couple of people just have an opion to run at all costs,stuff the fans,stuff the sport,stuff everyone,if a couple of people say the meeting is on its on!!!! Dont worry we have mickey mouse and donald duck lined up if anyone else drops out.Just out of interest where are the 2 danes riding on friday night? Please dont tell me Danish league meetings which were run on a semi pro basis a few years ago,now topping any elite league meetings and uk clubs not having a say in the matter!!