British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Odds On

Move Over The Elite League.

What was the attendance?

Do you honestly expect the club to give away that sort of imformation ..

It is becoming more and more evident that the Elite league is fast approaching its sell by date, how refreshing to see overtaking and close racing last night in the Premier League and also how enjoyable and interesting to have no boring and tedious interviews with the likes of Rossiter, Middleditch and co.

Surely the time has come for the BSPA to do a deal with Sky to take the so called Elite league off of our tv's and replace it with mainly the Premier League and even the odd meeting from the National League.

The Premier league is far from perfect but in terms of entertainment and excitement it is almost like a different product to the Elite league.

The programme has a real future the only problem is that it is stale with the same teams, same team managers being interviewed year in year out.

Let the programme promote our sport and show people it is exciting, riders can pass and we have different characters in the sport.

I've seen just as good matches in the EL. Balance your comments with the dross that we watched on Monday evening. The top level will always attract the media, you don't watch pub darts matches or England B or C teams in anything (no matter how bad the top lot get).

This season more than any other confirms how hostage some fans are to their league…..take away Doyle and NKI being miles in front now and then in the EL, or Castagna and Karger being miles behind in the PL then both leagues are two cheeks of the same arse.

• Like 1

You can watch any meeting in any league and the spped the bikes go at now, will always give the same result in most races. The riders who have the best gating abalities are the ones who usually win the race. Even the EL has now turned into a dick follow the leader.

It was actually good last night to watch something you don't see enough of these days and that is some good team riding. I know it was done to make sure the weakest rider made it to the tapes first, but it was very well done on more than one occasion. It was a regualr feature on our tracks at one time, you would not see that many overtaking manovers, because the two lads in front, who had the skill to do it controled the race from the front. A lot of people fail to realise that which ever league it is, it is a team sport, but most people ar not happy unless they see riders passing each other every race. I would rather see two riders work together as they should do and get the 5-1, than see one rider blaze away miles infront, not giving a sod what is happening to his team mate, All they want to do is get the win and make sure they can get all the points money they can bag on the night.

The stars of the EL are made to look a little second rate at times when the are betten badley by one of the draft riders, good for them though, because they are the future of British speedway, there are some good lads coming through now, it is nice to see after the way there has been no riders from this country, for over 10 years or so that have been up there with the big boys.

I would not have said the meeting last night was bad, there were a few good races later in the meeting.

There is usually plenty of overtaking at Glasgow. Masters just doesn't like us very much. I look forward to next weeks EL meetings as well tbh.

• Like 1

Yet another crazy topic ...why is it that people who watch and comment about the Pl have such bias ...let's be honest whatever league or for what ever the reason the two matches on tv this week have been garbage, the only good thing was the crowd at Glasgow last night ..but somehow it's being used as a stick to beat the El up witch to be fair this year has had good match after good match ..as someone said the only snobbery comes from pl fans who for some reason have to keep saying there league is better all the time and make out that there matches are better than they are ,

I said it million times any meeting at any time can be good ...to used the two matches this weeks as examples of why we should have a pl level speedway is laughable ..surely it's some kind of joke ?

• Like 1

There is no answer to speedways ills, its dead in the water.

Glasgow, however have at least breathed a bit of life into the corpse and fair play to them.

Ok it was a derby but theyre crowd last night was twice as big as any elite league match televised this year.

Maybe north and south leagues arent as bad a move as some think.

• Like 1

Until this week every Sky meeting has been ok to great. Then we have Berwick, a complete borefest and that was followed up by Glasgow that was made good by the fact Berwick was so bad that Glasgow looked OK but frankly, Glasgow wasn't up to much.

It always amuses me that a meeting that is anything better than bad in the PL is seen as brilliant, any EL meeting thats less than good is the end of the EL.

You get good bad and indifferent in both leagues.

I thought both PL meetings shown by Sky this week were absolute guff. Worse possible meeting on Monday, followed by similar, though fractionally better last night. The only saving grace was the work from the Glasgow promotion in doing their job in promoting the sport to bring in a good crowd sothere was an atmosphere.

I much prefer EL racing. The better riders know how to pass and will commit, where last night it was just follow the leader. Holes to drive a bus through but the riders behind did nothing to go for these gaping gaps. Of course there are good and bad meetings in any league or any sport. The quality of EL riders means that the racing is that much better the majority of the time, as has been borne out this year with not a bad meeting on Sky until they went to a PL track.

Just my opinion and some may disagree.

Most EL teams have a fair few PL riders in them anyway so are they better riders and know how to commit when they are riding EL !!

• Like 1

I've said this on another thread. Last night's el match at lakeside was basically 2 pl teams with a gp rider at no 1. Presumably there was a huge crowd as it was a el fixture and so much better than a pl match 😳

The meetings at Glasgow and Berwick were pretty awful. Especially the Berwick one.

Having said that, both looked to have had better crowds than Lakeside on telly recently. And Leicester.

Ok it was a derby but theyre crowd last night was twice as big as any elite league match televised this year.

Someone else who can tell the size of the crowd without even being there. I don't know how people do it. Nearly is good as Briggo managing to calculate the height of a dirt deflector from his TV screen.

As a matter of interest how big was the crowd, and how big was the next biggest EL meeting.

Lakesides crowds look so small because the "arena" is so big and open

Look its simple. Speedway is like most sports. If you don't support a particular team or individual it can be boring. Seeing the unexpected for example Garcia beating fisher or beating your fiercest rivals or having a good time with 1000s of others is what most ordinary, new, young fans want and Glasgow delivers. There has also been good racing for the purest.

• Like 1