British Speedway Forum

People keep saying about it not being too expensive at 25 quid. No. It isn't. That's what I paid and those areas are pretty full.

A lot of the tickets are over 25 quid and those areas are a lot less full, and my comment on price was based on that rather than the 25 quid tickets.

People keep saying about it not being too expensive at 25 quid. No. It isn't. That's what I paid and those areas are pretty full.

A lot of the tickets are over 25 quid and those areas are a lot less full, and my comment on price was based on that rather than the 25 quid tickets.

People moan about anything. £25 for a SGP is amazing value. Hardly any football matches in the Premier League or Championship comes so cheap. These days you seem to pay bloody £25 in booking fees if you order gig tickets too.

People moan about anything. £25 for a SGP is amazing value. Hardly any football matches in the Premier League or Championship comes so cheap. These days you seem to pay bloody £25 in booking fees if you order gig tickets too.

I just said 25 quid is not too expensive so why quote me and say what you said?

Everyone is going on about 25 quid tickets, but it is the more expensive ones that don't seem to sell so well.

Prices? It cost £25 for a ticket yesterday. £25 for a speedway GP, £25 for an event in one of the best stadiums in Europe. How much do you think they should charge?

Speedway is a £10 sport according to the British Scrooge Forum. Haven't you been reading?

Previous years have been 35-45k depending on your source. I thought this year was quite full compared to other years so would put it slightly in the higher end. So I'd guess 42k

A half empty 72k stadium is still 36k and I think it was over half.

I know some people moan about Cardiff but for me it's brilliant. I love it, I've loved them all. It's just magic to turn up at a speedway meeting with 40000 others, see a reasonable meeting that is guaranteed to be on (we'll gloss over it bearly being off about 4 years ago).

I just couldn't imagine not going. It's brilliant. It has its faults, it has things that can be improved but the argueembt that it's too expensive baffles me. I've never paid more than £30 for a ticket and for me, that's great value for money. I've paid that for almost every event I've attended in the stadium - the exception being a very early football game that they FAW heavily subsidised.

As for cost, what do people want? Move it to London but I work in London 1 week a month and I pay £150-190 a night for hotels, so is it really expensive paying £100 in Cardiff? Bear in mind if you move it to London then you're also not getting a £3 pint but you're paying £5 and every meal is 20-30% more expensive too.

Maybe I'm a little biased as I don't have to pay for a hotel for Cardiff (just £80 with of taxis over two days) but I don't get this, "expensive" thing at all.

If you want cheap drive down on the day, pay £25 for a ticket, enjoy the speedway and drive home. It's cost you about £8 more than standing in a gloried field in grass banking at 80% of UK stadia. And how often when you go to an way meeting anywhere do you stay over?

32 year old Shawn wakes up on GP day and gets as excited as 10 year old Shawn did xmas day. It's bloody brilliant.

All that and the rest of the weekend too, which is just brilliant, next year will be our 14th year. We go for the weekend spend it with our friends, who these days, we don't get to see too often, if only once a year at the big Cardiff meet up. I couldn't imagine not going either and how people can moan at the price of a ticket cheapest £25 say it's not what it's cracked up to be.....We paid more than that and it's and we still consider it brilliant value for money!

Well, it is Starman and it's not Poole.

The only downside is that it's exhausting we need a holiday now and I went back to bed when we got home :oops:

Not so exhausting that we're not planning on doing Prague next year too....... ;):P

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 1

According to your 'Steward Source.' Between reading your obvious disdain for the event & looking at the crowd I'll decline to believe you

Back in 2004, the crowd was significantly smaller than yesterday. The upper tiers has only the first 6 rows filled on the third and fourth bends. In comparison yesterday had people all the way around to the top. Yes there were plent of empty seats, there always are. But to compare 2004 to 2017, there is quite a difference upwards. And comparing from last year, and I am using photographic evidence, shows a small improvement.

• Like 2

Enjoyed Cardiff last night but agree the atmosphere isn't what it was in previous years.

Acoustics in stadium were awful, could barely hear lap times etc & none of Greg Hancock's interview was audible.

I 100% agree but unlike SCB I thought the attendance was lower this year. I had a row of Polish fans right behind me -- the airhorns never stopped, their Polish flagged covered me after nearly every race and I got beer splattered all over me -- I honestly did not care a bit as they apologised and added to the atmosphere which was a tad diluted this year but I confess to feeling a bit deflated after Greg had to withdraw. I have already booked my hotel for our group of four in 2018 and already looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Those stating £25 isn't much are clearly wealthy baby boomers who benefited from cheap house prices.

Working class families can't afford to spend £100+ on a day out.

• Like 1

Back in 2004, the crowd was significantly smaller than yesterday. The upper tiers has only the first 6 rows filled on the third and fourth bends. In comparison yesterday had people all the way around to the top. Yes there were plent of empty seats, there always are. But to compare 2004 to 2017, there is quite a difference upwards. And comparing from last year, and I am using photographic evidence, shows a small improvement.

I thought it was slightly less this year, but that may have been down to there being some seats behind us being empty and it skews your view, but nowhere near as significant as 10,000 drop. It's good to see it's maintaining it's level though, proves that some people think it's worth it....

• Like 1

There was an entire section on the back straight upper tier that was completely empty. I've not seen that before.

our steward told us that they had been told to expect 32000

Those stating £25 isn't much are clearly wealthy baby boomers who benefited from cheap house prices.

Working class families can't afford to spend £100+ on a day out.

Blimey , it's £17 to stand on a bit of grass at Swindon!

Edited by kluson

I thought Tai's lap was a farewell lap, similar to the last great TW, Todd Wiltshire.

Tai is always banging the drum about team GB saying why enter something if you have no chance of winning. If he managed to get a spot next year (a third wildcard gift?) he has no chance of winning so I'm assuming he will pull out.

Happy to post the pics of the crowd from last year and this for people who wish to compare.

As for the cost of the day.

Fuel to Cardiff. £20

Parking £2.60 for the day.

Lunch. £10

Costa 2.50

Ticket £25

Total cost inc lunch which I would have had no matter where I was, is just £60.10

Everyone can afford to go. Cut out the costa and buy a sandwich and bottle of water from Asda and even Jeremy Corbyns dole scroungers and spongers could afford to go. There's no excuse not to be there. Cheap as chips day out.

I 100% agree but unlike SCB I thought the attendance was lower this year. I had a row of Polish fans right behind me -- the airhorns never stopped, their Polish flagged covered me after nearly every race and I got beer splattered all over me -- I honestly did not care a bit as they apologised and added to the atmosphere which was a tad diluted this year but I confess to feeling a bit deflated after Greg had to withdraw. I have already booked my hotel for our group of four in 2018 and already looking forward to it.

Which hotel you booked and can anyone recommend one, could only get in the Ibis because I booked so late,not good. Plus looks like I'm having trouble with them charging my c/c for breakfast even though I paid cash

Happy to post the pics of the crowd from last year and this for people who wish to compare.

As for the cost of the day.

Fuel to Cardiff. £20

Parking £2.60 for the day.

Lunch. £10

Costa 2.50

Ticket £25

Total cost inc lunch which I would have had no matter where I was, is just £60.10

Everyone can afford to go. Cut out the costa and buy a sandwich and bottle of water from Asda and even Jeremy Corbyns dole scroungers and spongers could afford to go. There's no excuse not to be there. Cheap as chips day out.

I was (unusually) enjoying your post until your patronising comment about scroungers. BTW I post as a member of the forum of as someone a little younger than you with my own fully paid up property having paid my mortgage off as an ex professional working person having worked in a DECENT environment.

OMG I have just realised that I've given you the oxygen of publicity by responding to your inane comment.

Which hotel you booked and can anyone recommend one, could only get in the Ibis because I booked so late,not good. Plus looks like I'm having trouble with them charging my c/c for breakfast even though I paid cash

How many rooms do you require and for how many people? I have 2 bookings and will be cancelling one of them but perhaps I could help?

Edited by fliss44
  • Like 1