British Speedway Forum

Sponge is also an amateur and crude way of getting additive (nitro or similar) into the fuel system when the fuel is supplied by a regulated source

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

Sponge is also an amateur and crude way of getting additive (nitro or similar) into the fuel system when the fuel is supplied by a regulated source

thats a damn good point.. at GP's the fuel is taken out and replaced every time before they go into a race.. and the fuel is topped up by officials on the track if there is a stoppage..

hmm the plot thickens...

So we have the How, now we need to discover When :wink: then we can move on to Who :o

Seriously Danny I agree it makes no sense targeting NKI unless it was a dummy run. Maybe security in the pits of future GPs will be tighter.

It was me !! I had a bet on NKI getting less than 5 . got 50-1 with ladbrokes . worked out well and it only cost me 40p for the washing up sponges

• Like 2

thats a damn good point.. at GP's the fuel is taken out and replaced every time before they go into a race.. and the fuel is topped up by officials on the track if there is a stoppage..

hmm the plot thickens...

hmm the plot thickens...

used to be . I dont think they do that anymore

used to be . I dont think they do that anymore

i think they do mate.. but ready to be corrected.

a sponge is a cheap filter , just there to stop bits getting into the system

the only way youll find out if it hampers fuel flow is testing in the workshop

It's all reminiscent of the 1978 British Final scandal when Peter Collins found, after being eliminated from the World Championship that someone had put sugar in his fuel tank.

Or any other "bad" additive also then?

Have genuinley missed all of this as i'm currently back in Belfast for our yearly celebrations - any links kicking around ?

Or any other "bad" additive also then?

yes water would be OK to slow a bike down without engine damage , what I want to know is who found these sponges at Coventry , his team or the machine examiner ? , if it was the latter then the "I don't know how they got in there" sounds like the plea of a guilty man but if it was his team then it's got to be sabatage in some way

Years ago with up right motors you could soak a sponge with an additive,place it on top of your throttle slide.Crawl around to the start line.And when you open the throttle wide it would squeeze the sponge realising the additive.Giving u a better riide to the first corner.If the fuel was tested after the race it would be clean.

In NKI case it can only hinder fuel flow.

Edited by Bald Bloke

Think to get close enough in an enclosed pit area is a bit far fetched, performance enhancing would be more logical imo, i hope its investigated fully.

Was it to 2 bikes??

Edited by Arson fire

If it was performance inhancing it didn't work had would'nt of been brought up

A lot of people are assuming that the sponges were "planted" in the pits at Cardiff.

If I'm right, Neils said that the sponges were found before the meeting at Coventry on Monday.

How often do mechanics check the fuel tanks?

Unless you have a timeline of who had access to his equipment, before, during and after the GP and someone can say his fuel tank was sponge free at the critical time, you'll struggle to identify a culprit, if indeed there is one...

Years ago with up right motors you could soak a sponge with an additive,place it on top of your throttle slide.Crawl around to the start line.And when you open the throttle wide it would squeeze the sponge realising the additive.Giving u a better riide to the first corner.If the fuel was tested after the race it would be clean.

In NKI case it can only hinder fuel flow.

it would only hinder fuel flow on direct injection fuel system , speedway uses carbs so the tank fills the float chamber , a float chamber is enough to run a bike for 1/2 lap with fuel supply completely cut off , so even a reduced flow would still fill the float chamber faster than the engine can use it , so imo the sponge was used for fuel additive or water depending on who put it in and also iversen would of noticed the bike hesitating if it was fuel starvation , water in fuel would just make it feel slow Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE