British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Paul Gachet

Anybody know what Paul Gachet is now doing?

I remember Paul riding in second halves (great source for novices and/or juniors to ply their trade) at both Eastbourne and Oxford in the early seventies.

Progressed to number one at Arlington and doubled up as cover at Oxford in the absence of Hasse Holmqvist at Cowley.

Then transferred with the whole Oxford team to White City in 1976 and became a dependable rider for 'The Rebels'. Unfortunately badly broke his ankle early during the 1977 season and was replaced by 'Rebels' assets Dave Kennett and Mike Sampson as White City went on to win the league that year. Paul, however, did assist behind the scenes that year helping out in the pits and assisting team mates.

On his return to action in 1978 he put in a solid, if unspectacular, season but due to White City's unfortunate early closure he saw out the remainder of the season at Mildenhall where a badly broken leg finished his career.

He must qualify as one of the smallest riders at the time and was christened 'The Mini-Maestro!'

Edited by steve roberts

His brother Paul was a shorty too

But his name was a little longer

Didn't know that he had a brother?

Think he was referring to the fact that your thread title is " Pau Gachet " ;)

Oh I see! The irony was lost on me. I have corrected same.

• Like 1

Paul Gachet was one of my favourite riders at Eastbourne.

Always battled from the back. I remember a World Championship Qualifier in perhaps 1974 where he scored 14 against a field stacked with 1st Division riders.

• Like 1

IIRC Paul Gachet was one of two riders who featured in an action shot of practice racing at White City in an episode of The Sweeney

• Like 1

Think he used to live near the A3 Kingston bypass. Can remember my Dad pointing out his house and van

IIRC Paul Gachet was one of two riders who featured in an action shot of practice racing at White City in an episode of The Sweeney

I think Trevor Geer was the rider who doubled as the actor in that episode?

• Like 1

Paul Gachet Is one of my favourite riders along with Steve weatherly & Joe Owen. All three were very talented riders.

• Like 1