British Speedway Forum

Really sad to hear the news about the Bees - I really hope this isn't the end for the club. Sad, sad news for all of their fans. :sad: :sad: :sad:

I fear we are about to see a similar chain of events in regard to Coventry as those that affect already departed major tracks like Wimbledon, Oxford and Reading for example.

In the future years there will be lost lots of talk and actions to try an spark a return at Coventry as there has been at these other venues, but IMO like them never really likely to reach a happy result.

Edited by Guest

Sorry to the fans and riders this has happened. Hope it's not the end for you.

This fiasco causes the death of a great club and what will happen is a lot of land with a stadium on it not being used for many years. Scumbags the lot of them.

• Like 3

The lights are out...

The lights are out all over Europe "we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime"

How can this happen just weeks before the start of the season ?

Surely the BSPA management should be held responsible or part of the blame .

Feel sorry for the fans of Coventry .

They should considering they listed one of the reasons being we only had a 8 meetings contract. We all knew that and so did they.

yoda, on 26 Feb 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

Why would the BSPA care now they have the 8 clubs ??

• Like 1

Why would the BSPA care now they have the 8 clubs ??

Yes, this seems to have been announced once the Belle Vue situation was sorted out. If that hadn't gone well then Coventry might well have been allowed to start the season and that would have given the eight teams that the Sky contract needed. Such a shame.

• Like 3

A very sad state of affairs however many will feel this was going to be the likely outcome from the start.

• Like 1

It happened yoda simply because this is speedway management in all its categories. Very sad for Coventry speedway fans - a club with a great over they years reputation and also much respected as a race venue over the years for midget car racing (1937-39) and post-war for small oval car racing aka stock car racing since 1954. The latter not directly affected by what has happened to the speedway club but will be because the actual race venue is no more.

A very sad state of affairs however many will feel this was going to be the likely outcome from the start.

Agree,Horton should never get a licence to run Speedway again.Think we will see 1 big league in 2018.
  • Like 6

Feel gutted for the Bees followers; rather like having the carpet pulled from underneath you!! No sooner does one team (my lot, Belle Vue,) get sorted, another hits the rocks. I've felt for a while that the problem of where they would race would still raise its head again and so it has. Looking at the state of Brandon, it was hard to visualise anything taking place in the near future; such was the damage to important items; ie, the floodlight pylons, as well as various other items.

I'm sure some riders will slot in teams as the season rolls on, but it will be of scant consolation for those who have only one team, having had two until now. Speedway is damned expensive to participate in, certainly not a hobby. The outlay they will have gone to for the season requires two teams to make it pay, I sincerely hope that they can relocate ASAP. Brandon was a showpiece stadium under the Ochiltree's, everything had to be in place and was run with military precision.

I really hope that it isn't, but I fear this may well be the end for Brandon, if it is, what a sad way for a once proud club to enter the history books of closed tracks.

My personal happiness that Belle Vue seem to have been saved and have a secure future has been flattened by the news about Coventry. One of the great clubs in speedway history has potentially been lost due to the greed and ego of people who shouldn't be allowed near a track again, let alone run a club.

I feel so sorry for the fans and riders who deserve better.

A sad, sad day for the sport.

• Like 4