British Speedway Forum

I keep saying it and keep getting told off by the oldies for it but a sport pandering to Ernie and Maud who have sat in the same folding chairs on the 3rd bend every week since 1962 is NOT going to grow. Just listen to the music, they don't dare play anything even moderately upbeat in case Maud complains about, "that incessant noise the young people call music". But it's nice that every year on their wedding anniversary they wish Maud and Ernie a nice day and then play Cliff Richards "Congratulations".

Meanwhile, the kids starman refers to are bored fecking senseless and refuse to come back next week. What happens when Ernie and Maud become just Maud as Ernie has died? And then when Maud dies? The kids who got bored listening to music aimed at Ernie and Maud have decided to go and watch the rugby in stead with their mates, too late to attract them then. And people wonder why crowds are dropping.

Long live Ernie and Maud because once they (and their mates) are dead so is speedway. Or maybe it'll be the making of speedway, once the sport is on it's knees, about to keel over maybe, just may be at that point they'll stop playing rubbish 60s music and wishing a happy golden wedding anniversary to half the crowd and focus on the kids who are the future (and the present frankly) of the sport!

And it's not just rubbish 60s music. It's rubbish 60s style presenters. How the hell does Peter York still have a job?

I'm not sure there is anything 'upbeat' nowadays. How far back could you go ???

Ohh 20 years tops. :D

I have the answer ...... stage managing.

Hate the sound of it but if it works?

No, no, no, and a thousand nos more. Aside from anything else these guys want to be racers, not actors.

Theres decent enough music from the 60s, don't think I'm knocking 60s music! But some clubs really just don't grasp how music works.

It's as if they think when Steven Spielberg is making his latest master piece he just takes the latest CD off the shelf and plays some random songs. I'm not saying they have to put as much effort in as Spielberg and his team do but make some effort! Just sticking the same CD in on repeat doesn't work!

The song you were playing five minutes ago during the interval is not the same song you want after just watching the race of the season in heat 13!

Theres decent enough music from the 60s, don't think I'm knocking 60s music! But some clubs really just don't grasp how music works.

Who the hell do you think you are. Pete Tong..

I keep saying it and keep getting told off by the oldies for it but a sport pandering to Ernie and Maud who have sat in the same folding chairs on the 3rd bend every week since 1962 is NOT going to grow. Just listen to the music, they don't dare play anything even moderately upbeat in case Maud complains about, "that incessant noise the young people call music". But it's nice that every year on their wedding anniversary they wish Maud and Ernie a nice day and then play Cliff Richards "Congratulations".

Meanwhile, the kids starman refers to are bored fecking senseless and refuse to come back next week. What happens when Ernie and Maud become just Maud as Ernie has died? And then when Maud dies? The kids who got bored listening to music aimed at Ernie and Maud have decided to go and watch the rugby in stead with their mates, too late to attract them then. And people wonder why crowds are dropping.

Long live Ernie and Maud because once they (and their mates) are dead so is speedway. Or maybe it'll be the making of speedway, once the sport is on it's knees, about to keel over maybe, just may be at that point they'll stop playing rubbish 60s music and wishing a happy golden wedding anniversary to half the crowd and focus on the kids who are the future (and the present frankly) of the sport!

And it's not just rubbish 60s music. It's rubbish 60s style presenters. How the hell does Peter York still have a job?

Kids are bored senseless because it's 15 mins of a poor product spread over 2 hours or more. Presentation is a problem I agree, but isn't the main one. Everything seems to be the problem of the old people these days: pensioners too wealthy, can be bothered to attend things and can be arsed to vote, but we need to pander to who dont know their arse from their elbow. They are the future but will turn into Ernie and Maud when life's reality hits home.

Edited by Crump99

Im someone who job it is to make sure the right music and sounds are fired at the right time on TV shows. I understand how light and sound can make a monumental difference.

I've stood on the set in Pointless without and sound and light and see the tower count down from 100 to 0 and it does nothing. Then turn the lights on, crank up the sound and watch/listen as the tower starts at the top and then hits the bottom and the noise and lights make it. The tower hitting zero on its own does nothing.

Speedway is the same, a great speedway race is nothing if you're not surrounded by others getting excited to loud, fast paced music. Lighting is harder to control due to stadiums being outdoors.

.......SCB.......Im someone who job it is to make sure the right music and sounds are fired at the right time on TV shows. I understand how light and sound can make a monumental difference.

Yes music does make a monumental difference ~ it's bloody annoying in a quiz show. Why does Eggheads for instance need background music when there is always someone talking. Personally I'd give you the sack because you're not needed ~ a bit like all your old people at Speedway matches. :lol:

• Like 4

Do you think, just for once, it may be possible for you to add just one iota of intellectual input into a thread?

I'll put my head on the block and suggest it's not possible..........the ball is now in your court...........prove me wrong.......prove that you aren't the thickest moron (by a country mile) on this forum.

No, no, no, and a thousand nos more. Aside from anything else these guys want to be racers, not actors.

I know, I hate the thought but ... handicapping?

The riders walk out at Brandon for example is/was pathetic. Riders just walk on, no introductions, no guard of honour (get the kids to do it) or any music that could get a crowd going. Get some flags for people to wave, make it look like fans are involved. A simple thing with simple solutions to get some crowd interaction. The start of a night of racing can set the tone of the night.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 2

STAGE MANAGEMENT!!!! ?

Thats what the circus is for.

4 guys racing on a good track! Integrity. if its follow the leader then so be it! 42-42 going into a last heat decider that matters. My tummy is turning with nerves just thinking about it! it doesn't have to have been exciting racing for that to be a good night out. but it has to be honest. Price is the most important thing. £10 with a free race card el, £8 with a free race card pl, and £5 with a race card cl.

I think often some tracks fall behind on the presenters as well. that guy is the equivalent to a heat leader because it sets the vibe. There is a line between dull and informative and there is a line between funny and cringey.

The sport is great as it is and people like to dump on it because at times its an easy target. Change what we love too much then the 1s that are already there will walk away an become alienated!

• Like 1

Just wondered if anyone noticed that although it does say "can be amended" the Poole sites fixture list does not contain any matches with Leicester or Coventry .

Poole have no doubt already awarded themselves the inaugural premiership championship so have no need to fulfill all their fixtures

• Like 3

Just wondered if anyone noticed that although it does say "can be amended" the Poole sites fixture list does not contain any matches with Leicester or Coventry .

your not looking In the right place they are their with dates as well but they have got tbc by the side of them

pricing keeps so many away I think .. I keep offering to take people, but then give them the price and it doesn't happen.

the sport needs to cut costs and the GTR engine etc is hopefully going to help, but that means nothing to the supporter, only the rider.

costs need to be cut for the supporter too, the price of fuel stops so many travelling to away meetings, and people so much more now are just picking and choosing what home meetings to go to. all of that is lost revenue when someone says I'm not going it's only so and so there.

all the hierarchy seem to be looking at is reducing the cost for the riders, there's nothing there for the supporters. by the time the riders have cheaper servicing etc there won't be any supporters left!

doing special offers because England are playing football and it's on tv means absolutely nothing

• Like 2