British Speedway Forum

If the BSPA had actually bought the stadium instead of Sandhu then none of this would have happened,

Some questions cross my mind:

• Would Sandhu have wanted to sell to the BSPA? Can't buy what's not on offer.
  • How much of a war chest does the BSPA have to buy stadiums?
  • If the BSPA bought Coventry, would they be setting a precident for any other failing team?
  • If the BSPA had bought Brandon, what would have been the point in getting involved with the NSS at Belle Vue? Brandon would have become the new NSS instead. Then where would we be with Belle Vue now?
  • Is it the duty of the BSPA to bail out failing promotions in any case? And if they do / don't shouldn't the same standards apply to ALL clubs in their association? Fat lot they did for Plymouth, and fat lot they are doing for Mildenhall. Why do Leicester, Belle Vue and Coventry get better treatment?
Edited by uk martin
  • Like 1

If the BSPA had actually bought the stadium instead of Sandhu then none of this would have happened, and they would have had something approaching a National Speedway Stadium years before they actually did!

And it would have been central, having a national stadium in the north of England is a stupid idea . BSPA might as well have declared all stadiums as national stadiums and they could have all had a share out of the BSPA coffers just like Belle Vue have done.

Edited by New era Panthers

• If the BSPA bought Coventry, would they be setting a precident for any other failing team?
  • If the BSPA had bought Brandon, what would have been the point in getting involved with the NSS at Belle Vue? Brandon would have become the new NSS instead. Then where would we be with Belle Vue now?
  • Is it the duty of the BSPA to bail out failing promotions in any case? And if they do / don't shouldn't the same standards apply to ALL clubs in their association? Fat lot they did for Plymouth, and fat lot they are doing for Mildenhall. Why do Leicester, Belle Vue and Coventry get better treatment?

I actually meant bought it from the Ochiltrees.

One of the fundamental issues with the sport in this country, that sees the death of many teams, is the stadium being shut down.

The BSPA should have a policy of acquiring when the opportunity exists. It's not about bailing out failing promotions, it's about securing the future of the sport. The same principles apply to getting involved at Belle Vue, i.e. securing the sport.

• Like 4

I couldnt do it when I'm on a Friday day shift.

This post is completely wrong in all aspects. Sandhu took his stuff because of Brandon Estates not Horton, Horton doesn't own the stadium ffs!

sandhu took his stuff cuz horton offered him a quid for the fixtures and fittings playing a game of bluff with sandhu

, i never said horton owned the stadium , horton owns sod all he rented off sandhu... and was late with the rent many times, asked fans to chip in and pay fines , had a go in the press when fans didnt turn up .. and still owes kenni larsen money....

• Like 1

The BSPA could not afford the market value of the land for housing. Has anybody actually seen any representatives of Brandon estates in the flesh, or have all negotiations been by email or phone? Why do Brandon estates need to be anonymous? what do they have to lose or hide by remaining in the shadows, Maybe Sandhu just wanted to sell Horton down the river. If you were interested in promoting speedway long term, and an opportunity arose at Leicester or Belle Vue, just before you were due to sign up for the Coventry lease, surely you would back out.

Just googled: Coventry to Birmingham = 30 minutes

Coventry to Leicester = 45 minutes

I see that Birmingham Speedway is up for sale with much better facilities that Leicester, and one of the best racing tracks in the country.

So why does Mr Horton do a deal with Mr Mole?

Edited by Argos
  • Like 3

screm, on 26 Jan 2017 - 6:00 PM, said:

If the vast majority of those 1000 correspondents turned up at Brandon each race night then the Bees might not be in the pickle they find themselves.

Don't think its the Bees attendances are an issue , always been healthy when weve gone there.

Just googled: Coventry to Birmingham = 30 minutes

Coventry to Leicester = 45 minutes

I see that Birmingham Speedway is up for sale with much better facilities that Leicester, and one of the best racing tracks in the country.

So why does Mr Horton do a deal with Mr Mole?

With what monkey nuts

And it would have been central, having a national stadium in the north of England is a stupid idea . BSPA might as well have declared all stadiums as national stadiums and they could have all had a share out of the BSPA coffers just like Belle Vue have done.

NSS means,National Speedway Stadium, since when have Glasgow, Edinburgh, Berwick ect not had speedway fans that would want to travel to Manchester for an international meeting ie WTC.

I think you will find Manchester is more central than Coventry. ie Poole-Manchester 263 miles. Glasgow-Manchester 219 miles Coventry-Poole 189 miles Coventry Glasgow 315 miles.

• Like 1

Just to remind Argos that his times are ridiculous unless he travels by helicopter. We do have some stupid posts on this forum.

If the vast majority of those 1000 correspondents turned up at Brandon each race night then the Bees might not be in the pickle they find themselves.

More than 1,000 turn up at Brandon every weeks. If Coventrys crowds are an issue then so are everyone else's.

Speedway Star - Due Vigour? Oxymoron. Frightened of their own shadow / printed page in recent years. As much to lose as the BSPA if / when the whole house of cards comes tumbling down.

sandhu took his stuff cuz horton offered him a quid for the fixtures and fittings playing a game of bluff with sandhu

, i never said horton owned the stadium , horton owns sod all he rented off sandhu... and was late with the rent many times, asked fans to chip in and pay fines , had a go in the press when fans didnt turn up .. and still owes kenni larsen money....

So why is this situation Hortons fault as you claimed? He hasn't the finance to pay 200k+ for Sandhu's fixture and fittings and why would he pay for it when Brandon Estates says it's their fixture and fittings and not Sandhu's?

• Like 2

from the northernmost track Edinburgh to Plymouth in the south Belle Vue is actually slightly to the south of the middle

Kids nowadays would rather be sat behind there Ipads that go to speedway.

That may well be true, but Wasps have demonstrated that if you supply the right product, in the right environment, with the right promotion, kids can be dragged away from their electronic devices.