British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCB

Why Is Speedway Great?

For me it was the fact that there was very little else in Dudley or Cradley Heath to be proud of from a sporting perspective so you went along for the entertainment.

For years were were little more than also rans but then suddenly, when McCormick and Pugh arrived, we became big players on the World stage. Something to be really proud of.

It really was amazing how the whole area got behind the speedway team and we took about 70 coaches to Wembley for the 1981 World Final (plus many others who went by train and car).

Dudley Wood, for all its faults, really was the centre of the local community for many years.

• Like 2

I love the anoraks covered in sew on patches, old people sat on fold up chairs with their flasks, the silky smooth voice of Craig Saul, wide open spaces on the terraces, 1970's music on the tannoy, track shop lucky bags, challenge matches against made up teams, the mushy peas at the Rye Fish Bar (but not the cutlery), trophies named after a motorway, but what I love most of all is being part of a family...the speedway family.

Not as good as Berwick Vs Edinburgh challenge matches named Cock of the North or the Tyne Tees/Tyne Tweed/Tweed Tees trophys

SCB as you are the stats man and know the rulebook inside out what rules would you change to better the product.?

Nothing in the rulebook. No first timer has ever turned up and gone, "R/R is rubbish, guests are rubbish, the points limit is rubbish and there not enough Brits in teams". People want an efficiently run meeting on a good track and a home win. Get that right and the rule are almost irrelevant. I bet 95% of people don't know the rules beyond the TR and the use of a reserve.

What kind of a twit turns up at Speedway and says “it is like watching racing surrounded by Train Spotters”…..

There are a small % of people who attend speedway who are old or wear dated clothing other than that most of the people in attendance are just ordinary dressed people who you wouldn’t look twice at on the street - despite being "geeky" about the workings sport I don't think there is a "geek" element to it, any regular of any sport is a "geek" by that definition eg guys cheering fat blokes chucking sticks at a board is as "geeky" as it gets if you wish to boil things down on such a simplistic level

Edited by The Mockingjay

This is a great thread. There is nothing like talking about Speedwáy with fellow fans who have the same affinity for the sport, and the fact that the rest of the world think we are completely bonkers makes it even more special.

There is something unique about the spectacle of the sport that doesn't seem to exist in other sports. The very idea of riders being identified in red, blue white and yellow has some sort of magnetism to me. Then riders being numbered 1-7, then being designated heatleaders, second strings and reserves, somehow adds to the drama, with red and blue the heroes and white and yellow the villains. I suppose all those details plus the idea of filling the programme in progressively does give a sort of trainspotter or anorak quality but there's nothing wrong with that.

As others have said, the fans are special. I love the fact you can walk round and see people you have seen for years and just nod or have a word with them even though you don't really know them and I love getting peoples opinions before the start on how they think the match will turn out. We all have a laugh about old Sid and Doris sitting in their fold up chairs with their flask of tea and sandwiches but they are the salt of the earth types and I love chatting to them as most have been going for years and are often very knowlegdeable.

I suppose most of all I think I love that moment of tension between the riders coming under starters orders and the tapes going up. Even after about 150 years of going to Speedwáy that part still sends shivers down my spine. Very rare for me to go to a Speedwáy meeting and not enjoy it.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 2

What kind of a twit turns up at Speedway and says “it is like watching racing surrounded by Train Spotters”…..

There are a small % of people who attend speedway who are old or wear dated clothing other than that most of the people in attendance are just ordinary dressed people who you wouldn’t look twice at on the street - despite being "geeky" about the workings sport I don't think there is a "geek" element to it, any regular of any sport is a "geek" by that definition eg guys cheering fat blokes chucking sticks at a board is as "geeky" as it gets if you wish to boil things down on such a simplistic level

I suppose that is addressed at me, as it was me who quoted it.

Why so aggressive? The person who said it, didn't mean it in a derogatory way. It was referring to the filling in of programmes and looking at who could possibly ride next, depending on score. The closest I can think to that is filling in a cricket scorecard whilst at a county game or standing on a station platform writing down numbers. Plus there is nothing wrong with 'Geekness'...it has it's place.

As for attire...I would have to disagree with you. I don't know where you live, but if I walked down my street, I wouldn't see people in garish coloured 'Speedway clothing' or carrying programme boards. I sat in a few bars at the Cardiff GP, and overheard many general public mention the attire of the Speedway fans. None of it was positive. I've even had people say to me...'I wouldn't bring my Girlfriend here'. Because of how people looked.

Now that maybe shallow...and I agree. I'd also say the Darts fan was very similar. Fat blokes...cheering on even fatter blokes whilst wearing silly outfits lol

Nothing to do with the older generation, who I personally think look very normal at Speedway.

This is why I mentioned in my post, that I'd find it hard to decide who to Promote the Sport too if I was a promotor.

Can't see many Rugby, Cricket, F1, Tennis, Golf types being interested...although I know a few including myself.

Burgers, chips and Garish polyester clothing is fine...but if you want to attract more money and a different clientele then you have to be aware of your product and how it is viewed by the general public.

For me...I love the oddness of it all :-)

• Like 2

I love the anoraks covered in sew on patches, old people sat on fold up chairs with their flasks, the silky smooth voice of Craig Saul, wide open spaces on the terraces, 1970's music on the tannoy, track shop lucky bags, challenge matches against made up teams, the mushy peas at the Rye Fish Bar (but not the cutlery), trophies named after a motorway, but what I love most of all is being part of a family...the speedway family.

Yep, all part of the family lol

Nothing in the rulebook. No first timer has ever turned up and gone, "R/R is rubbish, guests are rubbish, the points limit is rubbish and there not enough Brits in teams". People want an efficiently run meeting on a good track and a home win. Get that right and the rule are almost irrelevant. I bet 95% of people don't know the rules beyond the TR and the use of a reserve.

But some twits on here with 'issues' would have you believe their visitors were rolling in the ailses with laughter when they told them walking through the gates.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 2

I think we will find out what's great about Speedway on Friday and Saturday.

From what I've seen of the Belle Vue track it looks magnificent, a great size, banked and with racing lines all over it.

The World Cup should be a great advert for the sport in Britain.

Perhaps track designers will take note in future where we get opportunities to build some more e.g Coventry / Swindon and with a big slice of luck Cradley.

• Like 3

I suppose that is addressed at me, as it was me who quoted it.

Why so aggressive? The person who said it, didn't mean it in a derogatory way. It was referring to the filling in of programmes and looking at who could possibly ride next, depending on score. The closest I can think to that is filling in a cricket scorecard whilst at a county game or standing on a station platform writing down numbers. Plus there is nothing wrong with 'Geekness'...it has it's place.

As for attire...I would have to disagree with you. I don't know where you live, but if I walked down my street, I wouldn't see people in garish coloured 'Speedway clothing' or carrying programme boards. I sat in a few bars at the Cardiff GP, and overheard many general public mention the attire of the Speedway fans. None of it was positive. I've even had people say to me...'I wouldn't bring my Girlfriend here'. Because of how people looked.

Yes, that’s something we have all encountered while in Cardiff, the people of Cardiff wandering around all weekend pointing saying “ow don’t they dress funny” that definitely happened, happens all the time, it is all you hear.

Edited by The Mockingjay
  • Like 2

This is a great thread. There is nothing like talking about Speedwáy with fellow fans who have the same affinity for the sport, and the fact that the rest of the world think we are completely bonkers makes it even more special.

There is something unique about the spectacle of the sport that doesn't seem to exist in other sports. The very idea of riders being identified in red, blue white and yellow has some sort of magnetism to me. Then riders being numbered 1-7, then being designated heatleaders, second strings and reserves, somehow adds to the drama, with red and blue the heroes and white and yellow the villains. I suppose all those details plus the idea of filling the programme in progressively does give a sort of trainspotter or anorak quality but there's nothing wrong with that.

As others have said, the fans are special. I love the fact you can walk round and see people you have seen for years and just nod or have a word with them even though you don't really know them and I love getting peoples opinions before the start on how they think the match will turn out. We all have a laugh about old Sid and Doris sitting in their fold up chairs with their flask of tea and sandwiches but they are the salt of the earth types and I love chatting to them as most have been going for years and are often very knowlegdeable.

I suppose most of all I think I love that moment of tension between the riders coming under starters orders and the tapes going up. Even after about 150 years of going to Speedwáy that part still sends shivers down my spine. Very rare for me to go to a Speedwáy meeting and not enjoy it.

God Addio i am not six foot under yet a flask never,🤓speedway is a special sport and as you say i still enjoy it maybe not as much as the good old days but then you see a great race and the enthusiasm comes flooding back. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Yes, that’s something we have all encountered while in Cardiff, the people of Cardiff wandering around all weekend pointing saying “ow don’t they dress funny” that definitely happened, happens all the time, it is all you hear.

There's no need to be like that...of course, not everyone says it...but I've never heard anything positive said about Speedway and the 'attire' associated with it...and it is something that I've heard numerous times at speedway meetings from people new to the sport. The fact people wouldn't bring a Girlfriend to a meeting, because they wouldn't want her to judge, says something. whether that's shallow or right or wrong...it is what it is.

In fact, it has been noted by certain Speedway promotions. At Somerset for example, they realised it had to be changed, and brought more in line with what is considered 'normal' and less garish. They brought in someone especially to change the line of Speedway attire.

So it's not a fallacy...it's something that has been noted by others and acted on.

The point I was trying to make in my initial post, was 'who do you promote' the sport to for the future?

The Speedway and Darts fan seem very similar.

What 'Image' is speedway trying to portray?

Who are they marketing towards?

Personally, I don't think the expense and expenditure of running speedway, coincides with the fan base, and the surplus cash a great majority of fans have at their disposal.

It, imo, is a very working class sport with a very 'amateur' family feel, run like a circus event. Nothing wrong with that.

However...Speedway is trying to be something it's not. Expensive, and in line with other motor sports, with far more affluence.

The two don't go hand in hand at the moment, imo.

Small issues in the bigger picture of things...but never the less an issue worth considering.

• Like 1

There's no need to be like that...of course, not everyone says it...but I've never heard anything positive said about Speedway and the 'attire' associated with it...and it is something that I've heard numerous times at speedway meetings from people new to the sport. The fact people wouldn't bring a Girlfriend to a meeting, because they wouldn't want her to judge, says something. whether that's shallow or right or wrong...it is what it is.

So now, despite there being numerous, in fact loads of women in attendance at speedway on a weekly basis it is now “people” who won’t bring their girlfriends…as in numerous people saying it?

And yeah, every meeting you go to up and down the country it is newbies commenting on fans attire….”look at him over there in his jeans and t-shirt” and “ew look at him in his jacket”, always heard that, every meeting you go to.

• Like 1