British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

What Changes Have To Be Made In 2017?

I need to stress this isn’t in anyway “having a go at you” just a question given you have consciously chosen to post your thoughts on a forum…

How would that race format save the sport, because I genuinely don't know..

Two extra races means added costs.. not forgetting the so-called superstars who are in heat 15. How many fans does it need in the stadium to pay for this race alone? Saving this outlay may even persuade some promoters to reduce admission prices a squidge or hold them back for the next few years. If I was trying to save my outlay, this would be one avenue I'd explore. People say it's two less races, but nobody complains when matches are called at heat 12. Reducing the heats by even two may be a way of giving the fans something more attune to £10 speedway than the wad they pay now. The sport needs to cut corners. Next would be engine tuning for domestic speedway, which I question that it needs or can afford. Needless money going out of the sport, It isn't formula one, and there must be a way to halt money swilling out of the sport that it can barely afford.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

Two extra races means added costs.. not forgetting the so-called superstar who are in heat 15. Saving this outlay may even persuade some promoters to reduce admission prices a squidge or hold them back for the next few years. If I was trying to save my outlay, this would be one avenue I'd explore. People say it's two less races, but nobody complains when matches are called at heat 12.

Emm yes they do, it generally boils peoples piss when meetings are called off after 12 races when they have paid for 15.

Does it not slightly negate reducing the cost paid to riders if you are also reducing the cost of admission? Could argue it also cheapens the perception of value for money in most peoples psyche that they are now seeing less of what they have been used to for a long time now.

Edited by The Mockingjay
  • Like 1

I too would like sensible rules. It is what any sport thrives on. I churn when I see riders slowing down near the flag to allow an opponent passed because they don't want their side to use double points farce. It happened as recent as in the World Cup last week. If a supporter of 40 years doesn't like it, why do you expect the media to suddenly cotton on that this speedway lark is the real deal.

Speedway will only be saved by 13 heats and tac-sub for being six in arrears. We all know it...

Another thing to help it move towards being taken more seriously by this man of sense, is ban bloody riders from multi-tasking and riding all over the place. It is team speedway that the sport thrives on, and that importance has evaporated over the past 10 years or so. I saw it start in the mid-90s, when a four-team meet at Belle Vue had to be delayed while some riders got delayed on their way back from the Swedish League or something. Nothing like staring at your programme for upto an hour while the boys booked to appear manage to drop by. I knew then we were just a day-in-the-week for many. They spread themselves much to fine, some of them do.

Like somebody else mentioned, I couldn't give two doodles if riders decide to take their greed elsewhere. The main thing is that a fan, like me, can believe the blokes in their side are doing their best for his club. I mean, how many believe that superstar singer who greets his audience with the line "the best audience I've had." I'm amazed he knows where he even is... as I am about today's riders. When you ply your trade here, there and everywhere, it is just a job. When a rider in your team has a bad meeting, you want to know it's because he isn't saving himself or perhaps arranged with his boss to drop his average and allow for another signing for the Play-Offs.

It makes me cringe, it does... when that Nige Pearson constantly tells the audience "he (whoever he may be)

races here, in Sweden, Denmark, sometimes Poland and Russia, over here, over there....

Speedway riders have become agency workers and clubs are being used like company rep cars.

Now... let's all have a go at moxey... Then again, I know whiteknight will give me a "like."

Spot on moxey63. :t:

You and I have very similar views on Speedway.

So ideally you would run a meeting in about 30 minutes and would encourage tactical tape touching?

Yes.

No.

Don't change anything, then things won't get worse than they now.

Don't kid yourself.

Thirteen Heats is the way to go.

Second Halves were a great Training Ground for young, up and coming Riders. I think that there has been a reduction in young Riders coming through the system since the advent of fifteen Heats and scrapping the Second Halves.

I have no doubt at all that people will say that I am looking backwards with those rose coloured spectacles again - but to me, he proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I know a number of people went home straight after the Meeting - but I enjoyed watching the youngsters.

Emm yes they do, it generally boils peoples piss when meetings are called off after 12 races when they have paid for 15.

Does it not slightly negate reducing the cost paid to riders if you are also reducing the cost of admission? Could argue it also cheapens the perception of value for money in most peoples psyche that they are now seeing less of what they have been used to for a long time now.

Not if you get more people coming in to see more 'value for money' Racing.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

So it is about keeping riders happy, is it, or actually trying to keep fans coming through the turnstiles that I do genuinely believe help to pay the riders.

Speedway needs a total rethink. It is supposed to be a family sport. Always sold itself on that. So by cutting two heats, cutting admission, it possibly wouldn't make a fan on his own dance at the saving, but what about the family of four. They could save a tenner even.

Let us stop trying to put the future of the sport at risk because of the riders. We need to get back to maintaining a sport that its public can afford. The riders have too much power now. If they don't wish to race here for a lower wage, then what do you do - keep placing the future of speedway at risk, even one more track, just so it can keep its top boys.

Now is the time to trim. I mean, we have no world champion riding over here... but is he missed? Now is the chance to put a plan together. To do it when there were real stars - Crump, Rickardsson, Hamill, Adams - would have been more noticeable. But we have never been so low on star performers, and I mean globally and not just in Britain.

I am just trying to discuss ways to save the sport, that's all.

Only my views.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 4

Not if you get more people coming in to see more 'value for money' Racing.

The vast majority of people wouldn’t know they were getting “value for money racing” because they aren’t familiar enough with the product to know it or that there had been a change.

I am also curios to know how 13 heats at £14 is better value than £15 for 15 heats, for example

In addition to that it is a 13 heat meeting that should be run in about 25 minutes?

So it is about keeping riders happy, is it, or actually trying to keep fans coming through the turnstiles that I do genuinely believe help to pay the riders.

Speedway needs a total rethink. It is supposed to be a family sport. Always sold itself on that. So by cutting two heats, cutting admission, it possibly wouldn't make a fan on his own dance at the saving, but what about the family of four. They could save a tenner even.

I appreciate they are your views but you have said we all know, which means you are sort of imposing your views on everyone else and to be honest you aren't really clarifying this much, if anything it is getting a bit muddled.

So, you think the removal of two races merits the reduction in price of £10.00 for a family?

I am sorry I still don't see how this is either saving the sport or making massive savings for promotions.

Edited by The Mockingjay

The vast majority of people wouldn’t know they were getting “value for money racing” because they aren’t familiar enough with the product to know it or that there had been a change.

I am also curios to know how 13 heats at £14 is better value than £15 for 15 heats.

In addition to that it is a 13 heat meeting that should be run in about 25 minutes.

I appreciate they are your views but you have said we all know, which means you are sort of imposing your views on everyone else and to be honest you aren't really clarifying this much, if anything it is getting a bit muddled.

So, you think the removal of two races merits the reduction in price of £10.00?

I am sorry I still don't see how this is either saving the sport or making massive savings for promotions.

So, please tell, we're sitting beside campfire with eyes open and ears wide... do you have a sure way of saving speedway from the grim reaper. You're keeping us in suspense... and on purpose too.

Or are you simply admitting... we're all doomed?

Edited by moxey63

I am also curios to know how 13 heats at £14 is better value than £15 for 15 heats.

In addition to that it is a 13 heat meeting that should be run in about 25 minutes.

Those who have left the Sport for one reason or another could be tempted back and they would know. Perhaps they might return because they can afford it. As for new Supporters - they could learn the ropes like the rest of us did.

................... and yes - if that is how long it takes - fine. People would have more time to do other things afterwards.

Leaving it as it is is really working well isn't it? Falling Gates and possible closing Tracks - yes Mockingjay things are really rosey at the moment.

A radical rethink is required. Will it happen? To be honest I don't think there is a hope in hell.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

Don't change anything, then things won't get worse than they now.

The mad person doesn't think he's mad... I feel it's the same with fans who can't see no wrong with 2016 speedway.

I must be mad... as I'm trying to argue about saving something that has already driven me away. I am trying to give ideas for saving a sport that, like a motor-vehicle awaiting the tow-truck for knackers' yard heaven.. and yet there are still some people on the roadway saying it'll start with a bit of a push!

It is all but clinically dead, sir.

Edited by moxey63

The introduction of sensible and fair Rules and Regulations would be a start.

Bikes, Engines and Tracks should also be looked at with a view to make Racing safer too.

Oh how I yearn for the days when four Riders were hurtling around the Tracks of this Country throwing up dirt/shale. I went home covered in it many a time and I loved it.

I don't suppose that nowadays, because of 'Health and Safety' and modern engines we could get back the smell of good old Castrol 'R'. Too much to hope for I suppose but all of this was part of what encouraged me to attend Speedway.

Regarding my first point - I believe that it is essential that some changes are made.

My last points are pure nostalgia and will never return. :sad: :sad: :sad:

The introduction of sensible and fair Rules and Regulations would be a start.

Bikes, Engines and Tracks should also be looked at with a view to make Racing safer too.

Oh how I yearn for the days when four Riders were hurtling around the Tracks of this Country throwing up dirt/shale. I went home covered in it many a time and I loved it.

I don't suppose that nowadays, because of 'Health and Safety' and modern engines we could get back the smell of good old Castrol 'R'. Too much to hope for I suppose but all of this was part of what encouraged me to attend Speedway.

Regarding my first point - I believe that it is essential that some changes are made.

My last points are pure nostalgia and will never return. :sad: :sad: :sad:

we are still using Castrol " R" dont know why its doesn't smell the same

So, please tell, we're sitting beside campfire with eyes open and ears wide... do you have a sure way of saving speedway from the grim reaper. You're keeping us in suspense... and on purpose too.

I find claims such as “saving speedway from the grim reaper” quite hyperbolic in all honesty, it is the kind of phrase often used by some on here as some sort of way to add validity to their point when they attempt to impose the sports ills on others.

I also wouldn’t attempt to try and know the ways to “save the sport” and claim that changing the race format if the way to do it and we “all know it” because I don’t believe that to be true.

I do find it slightly fascinating when people attempt to impose such strong views and then get slightly uppity when questioned on them given they feel it is the kind of thing we should all know.

I do think the sport has probably managed to find its place in the market and mostly sustained it for about 20 years now living on attendances in the 600/2,000 range on average most weeks and most tracks generally survive on that, it is a while now since we have had closures for things other than idiocies surrounding stadium locations/owners of stadia.

In an ideal world attendances would increase but I doubt that a sport like speedway is ever going to see a huge shift in its core audience and I honestly flat out refuse to think things like the number of heats in a meeting or tape exclusions are the kind of things the vast majority of people who aren’t attending either know or care about, why would they?

I do accept there might be a niche “older” audience who feel these changes would reignite the sport or bring back a generation of fans, in my opinion though that’s an audience that shouldn’t be pandered to now as they have either shown little loyalty to the sport or simply aged to the point they aren’t the target audience any more.

I feel the “rules” that need fixed are teething oddities such as FTR in both EL and PL that generally only bother hard-core fans rather than the kind of things likely to save the sport.

The best thing the sport could do is enforce more stringent rules re how clubs promote and portray themselves on social media and interact with their audience, the actual product is speedway that’s what it will always be, has been for years and will continue to be, the main changes should be around presentation and image the rest such as rules and regulations is allowed of humpty that doesn’t really impact people.

I would also say I find it pretty fairly prices as it is, speedway is cheap and isn’t IMO, in anything like the position to take the decision that charging a family £10 less will shift the audience to make up for that of loss over the course of a season, if anything I think that probably would lead to serious issues re clubs short term future let alone long, it has been proven many times now charging less doesn’t instantly mean more people attend in the long term, and that doesn’t just apply to speedway.

Those who have left the Sport for one reason or another could be tempted back and they would know. Perhaps they might return because they can afford it. As for new Supporters - they could learn the ropes like the rest of us did.

................... and yes - if that is how long it takes - fine. People would have more time to do other things afterwards.

Leaving it as it is is really working well isn't it? Falling Gates and possible closing Tracks - yes Mockingjay things a really rosey at the moment.

A radical rethink is required. Will it happen? To be honest I don't think there is a hope in hell.

The key word re the people you are imposing the sport panders to is “left” they have “left” the sport and the sport has actually done ok without them, in the last month the general vibe has been healthy attendances up and down the country, thriving meetings well attended such as the PL4s, Pairs, GP and SWC, it might not fit narrative but that’s not the activity of a sport on it’s arse.

People would have more time to do things after….what family is going to travel to a meeting that ends at 8 and then go and do something after it, what are they going to do? Go to the Cinema as well…..they have already consciously chosen to attend their evenings entertainment.

You reference tracks might be closing, the tracks that might be closing are generally in bother because of stadia issues rather than as a result of dwindling crowds

Do I think things are perfect, no, do I find some of this a bit doommongerish, yes.

Edited by The Mockingjay
  • Like 1

I worry, looking at the crowds, many fans are in the autumn of their lives. They are the hardcore, and when they pop their clogs... I guess admission prices will go up even more.

Resolving speedway's issues will never happen. It is a bit like completing every level of Fifa 2016. Everyone has an idea but are all pulling different ways. There is no quick fix.

Edited by moxey63

Bring back 13 heats, happiness is 40-38, monkey masks, world finals, sticking plasters for grips, jumpers for goalposts, chips for 20p and 'two-wheeling' slow racing on deep tracks because that wor 'proper speedway'.

Edited by no-brakes-uk
  • Like 2

The bond between teams and their fans , for various reasons like doubling up/down , over use of guests and the mercenary attitude of some rides the bond has been lost and without it team speedway is pointless

Strict regulations of engines with the ultimate goal of a stock engine and the elimination of the tuner dictating the sport. The reduction of admission for fans , make any excuse you like about the reason you can't drop the price but the fact is it's too expensive and there are some folk who can't afford it every week and there are some newbies who are put off by the price , it can happen and it must happen to move forward but it won't

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 6

Spot on moxey63. :t:

You and I have very similar views on Speedway.

Yes very similar views, namely that neither of you go anymore and are never likely to ever again.

The way forward is not by turning the clock back.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 3