British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gresham

Ivan Mauger Collection...

Great rider great man, hope he keeps well anough to be comfortable in the rest of his life.That disease is horrendous my wifes dad who is now living with us has early stages of Dementia horrible to see heartbreaking.

• Like 7

His professionalism transformed the sport IMO .Great rider and a hugh crowd puller when he visited your track.

• Like 3

His professionalism transformed the sport IMO .Great rider and a hugh crowd puller when he visited your track.

Loved his White leathers such a smooth style class in everyway.
  • Like 2

IMO the greatest of all time huge influence on the sport always the ultimate pro may the rest of his days be the best they can be my own father is in the later stages of this horrendous condition

• Like 4

As above ^^.

Ivan also turned around the fortunes of every team he rode for and accelerated the careers of at least one team mate at each club he rode for: Ole Olsen (Newcastle), Peter Collins (Belle vue), Scott Autrey (Exeter) + Joe Owen & Dennis Sigalos (Hull).

Re his gold bike: Ivan himself told me he only expected messers Wenn & Bokelman to polish or maybe chrome plate parts of said machine and was more than blown away to find they had gold-plated the entire bike. Incedentally, if the frame on said bike looks a tad out of line, well it should because it is. Ivan went on to inform me that he considered such an 'altered frame' would be an advantage for the 1970 World Final in Wroclaw. So, in his own words, he, Peter Oakes and others performed the unusual set-up change by altering the frame geometry with the aid of a sweeping brush handle (!). Seemed to work as he won the 1970 World Championship with a full 15 pt maximum and he needed to as in each and every heat the other 3 riders were literally breathing down his exhaust pipe.....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 6

Great rider great man, hope he keeps well anough to be comfortable in the rest of his life.That disease is horrendous my wifes dad who is now living with us has early stages of Dementia horrible to see heartbreaking.

Horrible,my mother-in-law has dementia,is in the new Abbey House near the Abbey stadium, Richardson Road, named after Lee.

Horrible,my mother-in-law has dementia,is in the new Abbey House near the Abbey stadium, Richardson Road, named after Lee.

So sorry about that Doris, you would understand more than anyone about it then my wifes dad is like a best mate to me great company.He is still pretty good so his illness is not at an advanced stage he has not regressed terribly so hopefully they can change his medication which might help.

So sorry about that Doris, you would understand more than anyone about it then my wifes dad is like a best mate to me great company.He is still pretty good so his illness is not at an advanced stage he has not regressed terribly so hopefully they can change his medication which might help.

Yeah one guy in the home showed me his scrapbook of post-war Wembley Lions autographs plus still speaks intelligently about sport and other matters.

a

Yeah one guy in the home showed me his scrapbook of post-war Wembley Lions autographs plus still speaks intelligently about sport and other matters.

a

My wifes dad remembers Jamaica where he spent his National service like it was yesterday clear as a bell.Last week i took him to Oxford had a great day got home i had a shower came down he had fell asleep for about 15 minutes he said have you just finished work i was in shock for a bit within minutes he was fine.🙁 Edited by Sidney the robin

Wasn't being disrespectful or ignorant, I'd much prefare to remember Ivan for his sporting life and how he was the last I spoke with him, in 2010 I think it was, as he expanded stories from his book. We also discussed the dozens of photos I gave him which he was genuinely surprised to receive and was very appreciative of and he patiently answered my (hopefully not too many!) questions.

2 of my relatives suffered from similar conditions in the last cople of years; one alzheimers, one dementia and it was upsetting how their personalities changed, one was totally 180 degrees from their usual self. Mercifully both seemed completely unaware they were having such issues. Having in all liklihood having lost more relatives and friends than most over the last few years, I prefare to think of people as they were when fully well and also embrace the fact none appeared to suffer. Such is life at times....

• Like 2