British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crescent girl

Berwick V Peterborough (13th August: 7pm)

Honest stuff from Peter ,I'm sure his his views match a lot with fans on the terraces.There wasn't many dull moments with him around,it's in the past now though.

I can remember great times under Peter's stewardship, I can also remember some pretty grim times too.

Some of what he said makes sense, some of it was a bit below the belt.

Controversial, that's for sure.

• Like 1

I can remember great times under Peter's stewardship, I can also remember some pretty grim times too.

Some of what he said makes sense, some of it was a bit below the belt.

Controversial, that's for sure.

Below the belt stuff about your promotion?

• Like 1

I agree with some of what Peter said, in regard that the speed of the bikes is killing the sport. So much focus these days is spent looking to get every last drop of power from the bikes, especially at the top end and this just filters down to all levels of the sport. Unfortunately he chose to attend probably what was the quietest and, up until heat 13, the least entertaining meeting of the season. Maybe that clouded his judgement. The promotion have done a lot of good things this season, bring in new sponsors, track covers and social media off the top of my head, but unfortunately the team has not been successful and the track hasn't provided great racing.

What I certainly don't agree with was his comments that riders were not approachable these days. There are lots of times this season riders have gone into the crowd after meetings and spend ages speaking to fans, having photos taken. Last week I spoke at length to Kevin Doolan in hospitality. There were also a lot of riders mixing with fans in the Black and Gold afterwards. I've never heard of an occasion when a rider hasn't spoken to a fan when approached.

I look back on the Peter Waite days with mixed emotions. There were highs, such as the 4TT win, finishing runners up twice in the league, several top GP riders in various Bordernapolis meetings. There were also lots of lows, there were some very poor signings, there were some nights when tracks were almost unrideable (the cup final against Workington was an all time low for me). But you also have to remember that bikes were also very different back then. How would today's machines have reacted to some of the grippy tracks prepared back then?

• Like 1

First second half race was at the tapes for 8.55 well run meeting

I agree with some of what Peter said, in regard that the speed of the bikes is killing the sport. So much focus these days is spent looking to get every last drop of power from the bikes, especially at the top end and this just filters down to all levels of the sport. Unfortunately he chose to attend probably what was the quietest and, up until heat 13, the least entertaining meeting of the season. Maybe that clouded his judgement. The promotion have done a lot of good things this season, bring in new sponsors, track covers and social media off the top of my head, but unfortunately the team has not been successful and the track hasn't provided great racing.

What I certainly don't agree with was his comments that riders were not approachable these days. There are lots of times this season riders have gone into the crowd after meetings and spend ages speaking to fans, having photos taken. Last week I spoke at length to Kevin Doolan in hospitality. There were also a lot of riders mixing with fans in the Black and Gold afterwards. I've never heard of an occasion when a rider hasn't spoken to a fan when approached.

I look back on the Peter Waite days with mixed emotions. There were highs, such as the 4TT win, finishing runners up twice in the league, several top GP riders in various Bordernapolis meetings. There were also lots of lows, there were some very poor signings, there were some nights when tracks were almost unrideable (the cup final against Workington was an all time low for me). But you also have to remember that bikes were also very different back then. How would today's machines have reacted to some of the grippy tracks prepared back then?

I agree with you regarding his comment about the riders ,they have always been approachable and the present set are the same.Considers he says he has hardly been back in 10years he was probably over the top with that comment.The present Promotion are doing a good job on trying to lift the standard of the basics of the sport, but I feel Technology is against them in a lot of respects.The matches I have attended this season, I feel on track entertainment is the worst I have witnessed at Shielfield.Unless there is a radicle change in machinery spec to slow the sport down along with suitability prepared track I really don't know where the sport is going.Newcomers to the sport won't be impressed with a couple of good races per night.Difficult times IMO .
  • Like 2

I agree with you regarding his comment about the riders ,they have always been approachable and the present set are the same.Considers he says he has hardly been back in 10years he was probably over the top with that comment.The present Promotion are doing a good job on trying to lift the standard of the basics of the sport, but I feel Technology is against them in a lot of respects.The matches I have attended this season, I feel on track entertainment is the worst I have witnessed at Shielfield.Unless there is a radicle change in machinery spec to slow the sport down along with suitability prepared track I really don't know where the sport is going.Newcomers to the sport won't be impressed with a couple of good races per night.Difficult times IMO .

Can't argue with that

• Like 1

Don't know what the hype is about, Peter spoke from his heart and his experience in speedway. Nothing really said that was out of order, some good points, that many fans have being saying for a while now. He is absolutely right when he says the fun has gone out of the sport, if it wasn't for the people I meet weekly from our own club and the fans from away you look forward to meeting, I wonder if it would be worth it. When the riders were a rabble and a bunch of piss artists, we had better speedway, and bucket loads of fun with them, putting Stoney into his van at 2 in the morning as just an example,

• Like 1

Agree with most of what you say, especially on machinery, though there has always been the have and the have nots so right now you will always get the better riders ready and willing to pay the big money for equipment and on tuners. The market place is almost all down to GM`s, hopefully if JRM and the new GTR become successful then with a bit of competition that might help, especially the GTR engine that apparently doesn't need servicing so often.

Agree with most of what you say, especially on machinery, though there has always been the have and the have nots so right now you will always get the better riders ready and willing to pay the big money for equipment and on tuners. The market place is almost all down to GM`s, hopefully if JRM and the new GTR become successful then with a bit of competition that might help, especially the GTR engine that apparently doesn't need servicing so often.

If you standardised the equipment they would not be able to tune their bikes to a higher standard .
  • Like 1

Don't know what the hype is about, Peter spoke from his heart and his experience in speedway. Nothing really said that was out of order, some good points, that many fans have being saying for a while now. He is absolutely right when he says the fun has gone out of the sport, if it wasn't for the people I meet weekly from our own club and the fans from away you look forward to meeting, I wonder if it would be worth it. When the riders were a rabble and a bunch of piss artists, we had better speedway, and bucket loads of fun with them, putting Stoney into his van at 2 in the morning as just an example,

Not so sure I would want the Berwick team to be a rabble or a bunch of piss artists, I do think its important that the riders of all clubs interact with their fans, something that did happen back in Peter`s days though to be fair most of the Berwick team lived in Berwick so were able to meet the fans on a daily bases, Makovsky, Rymel, Aarnio, Kristiansen etc were all living here for the majority of the season during their time with Berwick.

Not so sure I would want the Berwick team to be a rabble or a bunch of piss artists, I do think its important that the riders of all clubs interact with their fans, something that did happen back in Peter`s days though to be fair most of the Berwick team lived in Berwick so were able to meet the fans on a daily bases, Makovsky, Rymel, Aarnio, Kristiansen etc were all living here for the majority of the season during their time with Berwick.

The question is, has speedway improved from when you had riders like Stoney, Sean Wilson, Banger Bentley, Paul Thorpe, our very own Rymel, and Meldrum and many many more. It is true the riders talk to the fans in the terraces, but there are times when only a few come to the B&G afterwards especially if they have lost the meeting. Perhaps we should do what Edinburgh do, give the riders their money in the bar, ensuring they all are there.

Piss artists and rabbles are just what this club needs, especially if the stories doing the rounds are true as to the reasons for the poor performance in the 4TT final. I can also remember the same Stoney turning up obviously hungover at the Welsh Open at Newport several years ago, the day after the Grand Prix and cruising round at the back of every race.

I've no problem with the riders of today interacting with fans, I've never heard of a Berwick rider not speaking to fans. We tend to look back to times in the past and think they were better, but I'm sure if you looked on the forum or went back in time we did lot of moaning back then as well.

• Like 2

Piss artists and rabbles are just what this club needs, especially if the stories doing the rounds are true as to the reasons for the poor performance in the 4TT final. I can also remember the same Stoney turning up obviously hungover at the Welsh Open at Newport several years ago, the day after the Grand Prix and cruising round at the back of every race.

I've no problem with the riders of today interacting with fans, I've never heard of a Berwick rider not speaking to fans. We tend to look back to times in the past and think they were better, but I'm sure if you looked on the forum or went back in time we did lot of moaning back then as well.

Stories ?.