British Speedway Forum
phillipsr

Tai Quits Team Gb

I disagree with all your comment of course! But the waster part is the most pertinent. Funny how I don't hear people slating the likes of Beckham et al for having loads of tattoos etc because talent and ability is the most important thing. :t:

You won't tell names because you make things up.

You failed to mention I was Tai's biggest critic when he choose Europe over racing here in 2015, and I said he was wrong to not ride for GB. As usual only pick things that suit you.

And yes he is a great role model for kids as to what they can achieve with dedication and hard work.

Thankfully not everyone agrees with you either.

I'm aware he has lost some fans due to his GB withdrawal however you know and I know that Tai will get the biggest cheer at Cardiff this year, which tells everyone all we need to know about his popularity.

You really do believe he is a great all round role model for kids and are convinced in your head that others agree with you.

Yes he is a great rider but you need more than that to be a role model, When you let your country down you are No Way a Role Model.

...and illustrate why British speedway is continuing with some rapidity a dangerous downward spiral. Many of them will cheer because they are TOLD what a 'great' rider he is. Most attending the GP at Cardiff will not be 'in the know' about how Tai Woffinden is regarded to the extent that members of this forum do.

so only the opinion of the tiny minority of speedway fans on here count? People don't have to be TOLD how great he is. The evidence proves he is! Are you actually trying to say he ISNT a great rider??? A percentage of people on here don't like him and a vast percentage of people who attend Cardiff have probably never read the BSF. If they cheer him (and they will) they do so because they support him and like him and dare I say recognise that he is one if the greatest British riders of all time. Facts I'm afraid.

You really do believe he is a great all round role model for kids and are convinced in your head that others agree with you.

Yes he is a great rider but you need more than that to be a role model, When you let your country down you are No Way a Role Model.

He IS a great role model for kids. You only have to look at the umpteen posts and pictures of kids and families with Tai during the British GP and world cup to see he is by far the most respected.

As I've said people at Cardiff will blow your theory apart.

As I've said Tai has his haters, however In the scheme of things it's still a small minority.

I assume you feel the same way about Scott Nicholls and Lee Richardson who wouldn't ride for GB for exactly the same reason then???

• Like 1

I disagree with all your comment of course! But the waster part is the most pertinent. Funny how I don't hear people slating the likes of Beckham et al for having loads of tattoos etc because talent and ability is the most important thing. :t:

You won't tell names because you make things up.

You failed to mention I was Tai's biggest critic when he choose Europe over racing here in 2015, and I said he was wrong to not ride for GB. As usual only pick things that suit you.

And yes he is a great role model for kids as to what they can achieve with dedication and hard work.

Thankfully not everyone agrees with you either.

I'm aware he has lost some fans due to his GB withdrawal however you know and I know that Tai will get the biggest cheer at Cardiff this year, which tells everyone all we need to know about his popularity.

I was like you Brum i was never a fan for me he looked out of his depth in his first year in the GPS.I thought he was lucky to get an invite without qualifying but boy has he turned his career around bigtime.I admire him so much for that hard work and graft dedication and TALENT has bagged him two titles.Maybe losing his dad really made him change spurred him on and he for me will win more titles i hope so anyway.
  • Like 1

Agree regarding football but footballers are paid millions per year for there team and that's based on talent. But in other sports, IPL and Big Bash Cricket for two, bigger the star bigger the salary. I think it happens in rugby and captains get paid more in Test Cricket too. In all walks of life the better you are the more you get paid. Nothing wrong with that.

Didn't Tai get about 75% of our points in the Final ? Why shouldn't he get paid more than Cook & King who as hard as they tried they just ain't anywhere near as good.

Ipl and big bash are nothing to with representing your nation ....lets be honest money should not even come into it anyhow he should be about pride etc . There no 100 % correct way of getting the best out your side and the bottom line is we have come second our best result in a long time .

The biggest problem is cause is the reasons that Tai has put forward and he may have a point but of what he forgets to put in that the main reason is that he was not paid enough money

I was like you Brum i was never a fan for me he looked out of his depth in his first year in the GPS.I thought he was lucky to get an invite without qualifying but boy has he turned his career around bigtime.I admire him so much for that hard work and graft dedication and TALENT has bagged him two titles.Maybe losing his dad really made him change spurred him on and he for me will win more titles i hope so anyway.

It was clear he was a talent when he signed his Wolves contract when he first came back to his birth country however I don't think anyone believed he would have achieved what he has so far.

And all that thru professionalism, determination and hard work and may i also add single mindedness.

No one has to like the guy or like how he looks but to suggest he isn't a British talent to be proud of is just plain crazy!

It's easy to see why kids in the sport look up to him as to what you can achieve. I'd love him to buy the rights to team GB. It's the only way we are ever likely to even match 2nd place again in a very long time without him and his vision.

I find it laughable that some think it's arrogant he wants his birth country to win gold and he can help achieve it. Sometimes you just can't make this stuff up. :rofl:

• Like 2

We came a false second last year with Tai carrying the England team. Also the crappy double points rule helped us cover over our limitations as a speedway nation.If nothing changes soon we will slip down even further down the rankings. There is hope though with the right guidance Bates,Ellis,Bewley,Smith,Parkinson Blackburn,Hume,Wood,Jenkins,Bickley,Brennan we have the talent there one or two of those could push on only with change though i hope so anyway.

• Like 1

...and illustrate why British speedway is continuing with some rapidity a dangerous downward spiral. Many of them will cheer because they are TOLD what a 'great' rider he is. Most attending the GP at Cardiff will not be 'in the know' about how Tai Woffinden is regarded to the extent that members of this forum do.

Even by your standards this post is a load of crap..the 40000 that attend Cardiff don't know how well regarded tAi is. .by whom? More people attend Cardiff than are members of this forum, so if they cheer surely that indicates tai is well regarded?

...or just caught up in the euphoria that takes place at major events. And how many of that 40,000 are British speedway fans and how many are followers of the non-British riders competing?

Edited by Guest

...or just caught up in the euphoria that takes place at major events. And how many of that 40,000 are British speedway fans and how many are followers of the non-British riders competing?

And? Speedway fans attend from all over the UK and worldwide for the Cardiff GP, one would assume supporting their favourite rider.

Funny how Britain's number one gets the biggest cheer tho isn't it.

There is hype about Cardiff because it's the biggest speedway event in the UK.

If he was that unpopular he wouldn't get cheers as big as he does.

Nicki P is loved and hated in equal amounts and the only time I have heard him get any decent reception is in Denmark. You don't hear boos for Tai in other countries, because he is universally liked.

You don't hear boos for Tai in other countries, because he is universally liked.

There's an old saying something like "...innocents abroad..." :icon_smile_clown:

There's an old saying something like "...innocents abroad..." :icon_smile_clown:

There is another old saying going back to the old days at the Frying Pan,i think....."that gustix is a ......." :icon_smile_clown:

• Like 2

Even by your standards this post is a load of crap..the 40000 that attend Cardiff don't know how well regarded tAi is. .by whom? More people attend Cardiff than are members of this forum, so if they cheer surely that indicates tai is well regarded?

I have further reflected on my original comment waihekeaces1 which was rather hasty in its judgement. There is some reasoning in your response that does indeed merit consideration in regard to how Tai Woffinden is received at Cardiff. You have put across your views in a manner that will win merit among other BSF members who are following this - for want perhaps of a better word - controversial thread.

Edited by Guest

I simply cannot agree with this.

Tai cannot be considered as part of the reason for Speedway's "downward spiral" in this Country. Indeed he could conceivably be part of the reason that Speedway retains the limited support it already has. Tai, for me is a brilliant Rider who likes to be Number One in all things and, on a Speedway Track he has the ability to back it up.

His tattoos, piercings are not my thing - but that does not add or detract from anything he does on the Track so I'm not really bothered about that.

What I am bothered about is the state of British Speedway these days. It seems to me that, like it or not, Woffinden is the only British Rider to dedicate himself totally to his professionalism.

He wants to be top dog and more importantly, he wants his Country to be the same. He, believes he can to paraphrase Donald Trump make Great Britain Speedway Team Great again. He may be right, of course he could be wrong.

Personally I think he has a chance of doing it provided he gets the support of the Riders, Management, BSPA, Promoters and Supporters.

• Like 6

And? Speedway fans attend from all over the UK and worldwide for the Cardiff GP, one would assume supporting their favourite rider.

Funny how Britain's number one gets the biggest cheer tho isn't it.

There is hype about Cardiff because it's the biggest speedway event in the UK.

If he was that unpopular he wouldn't get cheers as big as he does.

Nicki P is loved and hated in equal amounts and the only time I have heard him get any decent reception is in Denmark. You don't hear boos for Tai in other countries, because he is universally liked.

There is another old saying going back to the old days at the Frying Pan,i think....."that gustix is a ......." :icon_smile_clown:

While I don't ever think the name gustix was known at the Frying Pan - presumably New Cross?- recapping on my 'innocents abroad' remark iris123 it was rather abrasive and I appreciate that you have taken the time to draw my attention to a comment that possibly was not within the context of the actual thread. :unsure:

We came a false second last year with Tai carrying the England team. Also the crappy double points rule helped us cover over our limitations as a speedway nation.If nothing changes soon we will slip down even further down the rankings. There is hope though with the right guidance Bates,Ellis,Bewley,Smith,Parkinson Blackburn,Hume,Wood,Jenkins,Bickley,Brennan we have the talent there one or two of those could push on only with change though i hope so anyway.

No such thing as a false second Sidney. We got less than the winners and more than the third. Unlike Tai, I thought, and think, 2nd was a marvellous result for TeamGB and worth celebrating.

No such thing as a false second Sidney. We got less than the winners and more than the third. Unlike Tai, I thought, and think, 2nd was a marvellous result for TeamGB and worth celebrating.

• Like 1

Yeah, Rosco had it in a kebab shop in Swindon.

It wasn't. I think it was organised by Rosco and Poultec Training somewhere Norwich way.

My point was Tai thinks that being fitter helped him and he wanted the team to adopt this approach. Well it seems the team have done that although possibly not with his fitness trainer. I think he also said the riders need to spend more time on European tracks and have a training/ practice session abroad. I thought that had happened as well.

So it seems to me some of his ideas are being used. Now maybe not fast enough for him and there may be other things which aren't. It jis just a shame he has decided to leave rather than try to influence things from within.