British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Time For Teamgb To Move On Without Woffinden.

What's the point of all this? Does it really matter? SWC is a total joke: Home nation seeded to final, double point jokers, same couple teams winning it.

Needs a complete new brush with cash input from BSI/TV companies/Sponsors placed for the betterment of overall team improvement. These people want to capitalise on the competition so make 'em cough up.

No point looking for BSPA to fund it, they haven't got a pot to piss in, sold their rights to cash in on it for a bag of gold years ago.

• Like 3

I think you are missing the point. BSPA treat their riders like sht, even Bomber was fuming this year that he was made to ride in a qualifier which left him with no travel time for the GP. If they continue to do this no top rider will ride in Britain or want to compete in the SWC. Lamberts already had a lot of run ins with them and he's 18!

Adam missed out on winning the euro U21 by 1 point last year and was keen to do it again this year, especially as the final is here in France, less than 10kms from where he was born. No British riders were entered !!! just when our young riders need overseas experience this seems baffling.

• Like 5

Don`t think any rider is bigger than the BSPA. Riders like Woffenden and Nicholls who withhold there services and want to come into the team when THEY want to shouldn`t be chosen again for Team GB. stick with the riders who really want to be in the team theres no room for Prima Donnas in a team.

Edited by dornier
  • Like 4

Tai Woffinden has today issued a press release stating he will not be riding for TeamGB in 2017. After snubbing the EL this season, and only returning due to a lack of fixtures abroad, questions need to be asked.

Does British Speedway need Tai Woffinden?

Does TeamGB need Woffinden?

Does Woffinden think he is bigger than British Speedway?

Personally, I believe it's time we moved on without him. Just like Kevin Pietersen and English Cricket, he might be the best, but the game still continues with others taking his place.

From what I have been told from various and reliable sources, it was not harmonious in the TeamGB camp, even though Rosco did his absolute best. Trying to get the team to go out together was a problem, as well as pizza for the mechanics.

Yes he is currently World Champion and our best rider. But in his statement he says he is not riding in 2017 and may consider a return the following season. Excuse me? Is he the team manager now?

I know this is a difficult situation for Rosco but I would say enough is enough. Bring in young British riders who are desperate to represent their country. Bates, Ellis, Garrity, Worrall would have done anything to have ridden in Manchester. Sure we will fail. So what? Learning from failure brings success. We should not be dictated to by a rider not bothered to ride in this country anyway!

Does TeamGB need Woffinden? Hell no, blood the youngsters. The support from the fans will be there regardless.

So does British Speedway need Tai Woffinden? Not in my opinion. Shame he is coming back to mess up what has been quite an exciting season ( and I mean this with no disrespect whatsoever to Wolverhampton who have done nothing wrong)

Does he think he is bigger than British Speedway? Clearly by his statement, with a might be back, might not.

It is utterly frustrating when Britain has a two times world champion and there have been zero benefits for our Speedway nation.

cuckoo cuckoo cuckoo cuckoo cuckoo :rofl:

does british speedway need tai woffinden is the best bit....... bless ya steve, what days do they let you go out mate :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don't understand any of you saying we don't need TW, or words to that effect, course we do, hes one of the if not, the best rider in the world!! Why not get behind him?

Whats he done wrong?

Not ride in the uk "elite" league, that frankly is anything but "elite"

Why would you if you can earn bucket loads without? I wouldn't, not for peanuts, no chance would I

And why do some of you suggest he dosnt caree or want to ride for teamGB? Have you not listened or read what Tai has said?

Clearly not

This country has dropped so so far behind the rest of the speedway nations its unbelievable, only in british speedway would the sports governing body stick 2 fingers up to its best riders!!!

tinpot

don't bother replying cos I don't come on much, and I doubt il be on to see you cry at my message

I'm not arsed tbh what your opinions are, similar to Tai, no wonder hes given up, half of you cant support british speedway, even though you are british.

like iv said

only in speedway

• Like 4

At the end of the day if we need to move on without Woffinden then so be it, Nobody can force him to ride.Lets hope the BSPA can continue to implement plans,and make changes to support Team GB.in the future. Sure we may not be as potent force without Tai ,but felt next year we will struggle anyway Woffinden or not , having to go through qualifiers and an overseas round. Hopefully the remainder of this years squad and the young riders we have will see it as an incentive to represent GB in the World Cup. I will support them whatever the side Rosco picks. Yes not having Tai Woffinden is a big loss, for GB and the World Cup as a whole, but what can you do ?

Edited by New Science

So we move on without Woffinden. Maybe in the future Robert Lambert or Steve Worrall becomes the top Brit.

What then? Maybe the same will happen with them. This is not a new thing.

We've had Lee Richardson, Scott Nicholls, Rob Lyon and now Tai all quit out of frustration.

I don't know what the problem is, but it's clearly a big one.

• Like 6

So we move on without Woffinden. Maybe in the future Robert Lambert or Steve Worrall becomes the top Brit.

What then? Maybe the same will happen with them. This is not a new thing.

We've had Lee Richardson, Scott Nicholls, Rob Lyon and now Tai all quit out of frustration.

I don't know what the problem is, but it's clearly a big one.

Agree, this is what I have been saying, it is no good continuing as they have if the next group of riders do not want to ride for them.

Adam missed out on winning the euro U21 by 1 point last year and was keen to do it again this year, especially as the final is here in France, less than 10kms from where he was born. No British riders were entered !!! just when our young riders need overseas experience this seems baffling.

Did you enquire as to why, didn't Adam inform Matt Ford and Middlo that he wanted to ride in it, couldn't they act on his behalf?

I think its down to money, the BSPA are pretty much skint. Things that TW wanted to have cost money and its just not there..

Speedway in the UK is, in the views of most councils a hinderence, noisey, a cause for complaints wherever a track is within 100 miles of anything representing residential.. It pollutes the water table, pollutes the atmosphere and blocks up A & E..

In Poland, that's a completely different kettle of fish, tracks/stadia are built by the govt, the running costs are subsidised by govt and rider wages part govt funded. Tracks are accessible pretty much 24/7/365.. it's also near as damn it on the schools curriculum!!

If TW is only asking for a tiny bit of money from the BSPA, they just don't have it to give.....

IN MY OPINION..

• Like 1

(...)

In Poland, (...), tracks/stadia are built by the govt, the running costs are subsidised by govt and rider wages part govt funded. Tracks are accessible pretty much 24/7/365..

I'm wondering where did you get all these info about Polish govt. subsidising speedway ?

If you prove me that what you're saying is true then I'll be asking you what's stoping British govt to do the same ?

Swc without Tai at least the americans will make the playoffs..

Sorry we dont have anyone who can replace him.. bspa have obviously decided to not work with him to better the teams chances for glory.. so why should he continue all he wants to do is win.. nothing wrong with that..

Although i cannot see the point for another topic..

I'm wondering where did you get all these info about Polish govt. subsidising speedway ?

If you prove me that what you're saying is true then I'll be asking you what's stoping British govt to do the same ?

The British Government gave Uk Cycling 30+ million quid to win these medals we are currently gaining at the olympics. The British Govt gave zip, nadda, nil to British Speedway.

speedway is a far bigger sport in the uk than velodrome racing, but it is not an olympic sport with mass media coverage. Non of our speedway riders will have a sir before their name even if Woffinden wins it for the next ten years.

• Like 2

You know, editing someone else's posts is against forum rules.

Non of our speedway riders will have a sir before their name even if Woffinden wins it for the next ten years.

And if he did win it for the next 10 years and was awarded a knighthood you would be the first to start the thread " Should Tai Woffinden be stripped of his Knighthood for not telling me in 2016 why he wouldn't ride for team GB in 2017"
  • Like 2

The British Government gave Uk Cycling 30+ million quid to win these medals we are currently gaining at the olympics. The British Govt gave zip, nadda, nil to British Speedway.

speedway is a far bigger sport in the uk than velodrome racing, but it is not an olympic sport with mass media coverage. Non of our speedway riders will have a sir before their name even if Woffinden wins it for the next ten years.

The reason sports grants have been given to Olympic type activities is to influence and motivate some of GB's youth into participating in "everyday" activities that promote good health, excercise and begin to tackle childhood obesity. This is all part of a very long term strategy put together by the ministries of health and sport/recreation under the last two previous Governments when the dramatic increase in Diabetes became known. The medals are a means to an end in this context but in simple terms if a sport is accessible to children/young adults and participation benefits health and well being then the Government has a duty to promote it.

• Like 2