British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Belle Vue V King's Lynn Wed 24th Aug

Easy to get a full house at Poole as it's an area where people have plenty of disposable income and which is crawling with holidaymakers this time of year. Of course he still has to promote but it's much easier there than plenty of other places.

• Like 1

It was a poor crowd last night but there were several factors. It was a Wednesday off night, Manchester City were playing one mile down the road, we have 4 home meetings in 10 days, a lot of people maybe saving their money for bank holiday Monday and last weeks late call off may have put off some people

• Like 1

Saw the crowd myself watching heat 15. Place looked almosr deserted. If there were 1000 there most left before then last race.

Yes you have to market the product. Poole was packed last night against no hopers Leicester. Guess Ford knows how to market a meeting.

Do Poole have to compete with 42,000 people being at M/C City last night 2 miles down the road.I would think a few Aces fans might have been there instead.Big Euro game v speedway meeting against a lower order team (no offence Lynn fans you well deserved to win on the night).If a fan of both which would you choose.

Hyde Road would probably have been gridlocked between the M60 and Eastland's last night with all the people from Stockport who pick that route to drive to watch the gravy stainers. If you're stuck half a mile from the track at 730pm you'd be lucky to get there before 755pm.

I wouldn't be surprised if more than a few turned round especially as Belle Vue have pretty much qualified for the cup anyway.

If your stuck half a mile from the track wouldn't you just park and walk.

• Like 1

Well obviously you could but I wouldn't want to leave my car unattended by the side of the road on a side street off Hyde Road.

No fair point!

Steve wind your neck in the crowd was over a 1000 at least last night stop this 200 nonsense, i dont care how you watched heat 15, i was there. The back straight was very busy and always has more fans than the home straight. Poole have great crowds but they dont have much to compete against, can you imagine if poole football played in the champions league on the same night?

As for the meeting itself the racing was excellent and Kings Lynn were deserved winners and deserved the 4 point win. Not sure why Belle Vue were so bad im hoping it was just complacency. As for the race for top spot i think the Aces have to win all remaining home matches and possibly pick up a point away at poole.

Monday is key, lose to poole and we wont finish top.

Saw the crowd myself watching heat 15. Place looked almosr deserted. If there were 1000 there most left before then last race.

Yes you have to market the product. Poole was packed last night against no hopers Leicester. Guess Ford knows how to market a meeting.

He does Steve, however last night was very much aimed I would say at the local dignitaries in attendance...

Reading between the lines re the stadium usage going forwards I would suggest it was a good time to send a message out to the local community what an important part of the local area the Poole Pirates are..

And of course having hundreds of kids making loads of noise with their free 'der ders' in attendance will also focus minds on the benefits to the town of the Speedway being there..

I do have to say that I sometimes wonder what Matt would have done with the NSS..

Certainly a policy alone of 'build it and they will come' (as seems to be the BV promotions way) would not have been Ford's way I am sure..

To be fair Belle Vue have always had the competition of United, City, Salford RL, and numerous other lower league teams to compete with when we were at Hyde Road. The crowds there for speedway were like many other tracks in those days excellent but there again the product was far better than the dysfunctional EL that we have today. Our promotion could learn from the nearby velodrome, another modern purpose built stadium but that is far better promoted. A night out at the cycling is always a sell out, its reasonable to get in, the food/drink is more fairly priced and you can also take in your own if need be, good racing and a fast moving programme of around 3-31/2 hours so you actually feel you've had value for money. Rider availability throught the night for the kids and no gestapo spoiling the enjoyment for people. If we can start to also produce speedway riders for GB at a fraction of what is coming through cyclings stars of the future programme that would be a big boost for the sport. It would be a travesty if having delivered a magnificent stadium/track a lack of promoting meant the club failed to capitalize on this chance of a bright new start. I get what Steves saying but perhaps a better example than Poole would be whats Happening up at Glasgow, another major city with alternate attractions that is going from strength to strength thanks to the canny business acumen of the Faccena brothers.

• Like 2

He does Steve, however last night was very much aimed I would say at the local dignitaries in attendance...

Reading between the lines re the stadium usage going forwards I would suggest it was a good time to send a message out to the local community what an important part of the local area the Poole Pirates are..

And of course having hundreds of kids making loads of noise with their free 'der ders' in attendance will also focus minds on the benefits to the town of the Speedway being there..

I do have to say that I sometimes wonder what Matt would have done with the NSS..

Certainly a policy alone of 'build it and they will come' (as seems to be the BV promotions way) would not have been Ford's way I am sure..

Matt would have made a total success of it, im very sure... But then again, it cannot be a whole lot of fun in your case being governed by the council..

I should add that the only time I've ever had a car stolen was on Redgate Lane while I was at speedway, mk2 Cortina 1600E my first car, got it back with no engine.

You were doing well to afford one of those. Nice car in it's day.

Promotors don't think ahead in my opinion, it's all now, now, me, me, and now, now..

They don't generally think about next week, let alone next year and beyond!

How many of the BSPA promoters do it full-time? I bet there's not many, if any?? They mostly have other interests outside the speedway fraternity, and cannot devote as much time, money into speedway as they would like...

So, why don't promotors hire in someone full time to run it for them? Well, again it's down to money..

If a promotor, hired someone in to run there club a a business, they would need to pay them, and they would want paying well, but chicken/egg rules in speedway..

If someone came into a club, that could generate £100,000 in sponsoreship, build a succesful team, and generated regular crowds of around over 3,500 Inc a minimum of 2,900 full paying adults every week, he would probably want a min of 35k + car + expenses, would that be unreasonable as a minimum??

Just wondered.......

What do you reckon someone should gain out of what is a full time position?

Obviously you have the off season to take into account, but just what could be achieved if clubs were ran in this sort of vein?

Edited by Shale Searcher

To be fair Belle Vue have always had the competition of United, City, Salford RL, and numerous other lower league teams to compete with when we were at Hyde Road. The crowds there for speedway were like many other tracks in those days excellent but there again the product was far better than the dysfunctional EL that we have today. Our promotion could learn from the nearby velodrome, another modern purpose built stadium but that is far better promoted. A night out at the cycling is always a sell out, its reasonable to get in, the food/drink is more fairly priced and you can also take in your own if need be, good racing and a fast moving programme of around 3-31/2 hours so you actually feel you've had value for money. Rider availability throught the night for the kids and no gestapo spoiling the enjoyment for people. If we can start to also produce speedway riders for GB at a fraction of what is coming through cyclings stars of the future programme that would be a big boost for the sport. It would be a travesty if having delivered a magnificent stadium/track a lack of promoting meant the club failed to capitalize on this chance of a bright new start. I get what Steves saying but perhaps a better example than Poole would be whats Happening up at Glasgow, another major city with alternate attractions that is going from strength to strength thanks to the canny business acumen of the Faccena brothers.

To be fair back then i could easily afford go to both speedway and football and have a good few nights in the pub now i can' i have to pick and choose.Leasure seems to cost a lot lot more these days.At the moment i choose speedway above all others but the way it is going i may just turn to drink. :unsure:

• Like 2

Someone hired to run the club as a business, develop the business, build the team and promote with the proviso of 100k worth of sponsorship and a MINIMUM 2,900 paying adults a week.

Sounds closer to a CEO of which the average wage is £98k a year before throwing in commission and expenses…..even as someone who isn’t running a club that sounds an absurdly excessive wage for what isn’t a guaranteed return.

Edited by The Mockingjay

£250 although I did spend £200 on a respray.

Have you been reading about Stockport County?

I don't know what the brief was regarding sponsorship but they employed a 'ceo' who met the attendance criteria and was reportedly paid the figure you suggested.

I think he went to port vale on a similar deal?

No, not read that, just a bit of a common sense way to make speedway a bit more of a business, and not a hobby or charity.... (Although, you don't see poor charity bosses)

Speedway has become overly reliant on volunteers and doners.....

Makes it difficult when jobs need doing that need professional personnel, they get paid, as they should, but it can upset volunteers...

Edited by Shale Searcher