British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dickie Head

Speedway Referee Numbers In Decline

Just read in this week's Speedway Star that Dale Entwhistle has quit and this follows the resignation of Dan Holt. These guys were from the younger contingent of referees. We know Dave Dowling is retiring at the seasons end having reached the upper age limit. From the official meeting scorecards we never see a trainee named. Do the SCB have a succession planning policy, enough referees already or just hoping no more guys opt out? Any thoughts?

What is the upper age limit for refs these days. I've seen a few veterans in the past Stan Green springs to mind.

Only seems a few years ago that the SCB were saying that they'd got more than enough refs.

With Graham Reeve retiring from the SCB, I guess another senior ref will be leaving the ranks and moving upstairs to replace him.

Shame to see Dave Dowling and Dale Entwistle go. They both seemed good blokes. Don't know much about Dan Holt.

The one they do need to cull is Dave Robinson.

• Like 1

Only seems a few years ago that the SCB were saying that they'd got more than enough refs.

With Graham Reeve retiring from the SCB, I guess another senior ref will be leaving the ranks and moving upstairs to replace him.

Shame to see Dave Dowling and Dale Entwistle go. They both seemed good blokes. Don't know much about Dan Holt.

The one they do need to cull is Dave Robinson.

Dont agree with you, Dave Robinson ok. Its Dan Ackroid they need to get shot of.

Edited by Starman2006

Dont agree with you, Dave Robinson ok. Its Dan Ackroid they need to get shot of.

And people wonder why referee's are stepping down! It's a really hard job and in my opinion referee's need more help, more support and more respect.

If you think referee's get it wrong is bad. Watch Sky and see some of the rubbish some of the managers come out with when their riders are excluded (I am mainly thinking about the managers of two west midlands clubs here). One of those is an ex international rider too!

Frank Ebdon was the worse I came across.

Think there has been sone well talked about moments this year with riders,TM and promoters having ago at the refs. Not sure I would do it, doubt the money is worth the hassle it brings.

Being a ref is a hobby like every other. Usually with some financial compensation and possibility to "become something". Like in ice hockey a pro that could live on it and go to KHL or NHL. Or in speedway to become a SGP ref. Not much money in speedway ref'ing though, FIM pays SGP refs and it's not actually pay, it's partial compensation for spent time of ones life. :lol:

I respect her, and I`m sure she is doing her best but you know your in for trouble when you see Barbara Horley sitting in the refs box.

• Like 1

Agreed. Brilliant in Blues Brothers and trading places....garbage in the refs box!

• Like 1

And people wonder why referee's are stepping down! It's a really hard job and in my opinion referee's need more help, more support and more respect.

If you think referee's get it wrong is bad. Watch Sky and see some of the rubbish some of the managers come out with when their riders are excluded (I am mainly thinking about the managers of two west midlands clubs here). One of those is an ex international rider too!

I cringe every time the camera or mic is pointed at Gary Havelock. Here comes another pulled face and a whine at the ref.

• Like 2

So easy to slag off a referee for some isn't it and I suspect those who do wouldn't be prepared to give up their spare time, utilise part or as has been known nigh on all of their holiday allowance from their main employment, undertake the travel involved e.g. Scotland to the Isle of Wight as has been done, do all the track checks required prior to a meeting plus paperwork required before and after, and then take on the responsibility of arbitrating on a match/meeting in a sport where those taking part could suffer like changing injuries or worse.

Have those who suggest getting rid of this that and the other ref, who all started as fans of the sport before applying to become one, not considered what would be the situation if all the current referees followed Dan Holt (who I've seen watching matches since stepping down) and Dale Entwhistle's actions and stepped down?

Referee's can only make their decisions based on what they see happen in a flash from their position in the officials box a circuits overlooking the start line. A few may be disagreed with by those standing/sitting in different positions around any circuit but my experience is the vast majority of decisions they make, including those that go against 'my' team/rider, are correct.

So who's going to look into the prospect of becoming a trainee ref then? ;)

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 2

Bore off Lord Bryn. What the hell has life changing injuries or worse got to do with being a referee?

Do they jump down from the refs box & go and treat them?

Get off your soap box.

• Like 2

Who yer gunna call ?

Edited by orion
  • Like 1