British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2017

Let's all stop bitching and moaning and look forward to next season. If there is speedway at Lynn next season we can hope it's a team that entertains , and wins, and finally and hopefully wins the top flight speedway league.

Let's all stop bitching and moaning and look forward to next season. If there is speedway at Lynn next season we can hope it's a team that entertains , and wins, and finally and hopefully wins the top flight speedway league.

you can call it bitching and moaning if u like but if certain things off track isn't sorted it's all going to end in tears for the club surely we all must agree we can't afford another season like this one and I mean more off track than on .

No we can't afford another season like this one. Things do need to change off track. And the team we have at the minute isn't good enough. But all the moaning in the world won't turn the clock back.

No we can't afford another season like this one. Things do need to change off track. And the team we have at the minute isn't good enough. But all the moaning in the world won't turn the clock back.

What you call moaning, is what I call discussing an opinion. There are two ways to make the promoters know how you, the supporter, feels,

1, is to voice your opinion publically, and the second is to not go to matches any more. Now if Buster don't adhere to the criticism he is receiving, then when we get to No2 its too late....

Recently, after 52 years of going to speedway at Kings Lynn, has seen me, for the first time ever, miss meetings because I couldn't be bothered to go...... Now if somebody as die-hard and long standing as I feels this way, what chance has the sport got of surviving ??? Yes the Stars have had a terrible year, but as an elder supporter I can see the bigger picture. Each club is struggling to make it pay and crowd figures are dropping. We are all fed up with guests and replacements, We go weeks without a meeting then we have 6 in one week.. but nobody cares....

The biggest problem we have within the sport , is that the BSPA don't even want listen to us.....

• Like 3

The bottom line is, there are too many 'Promoters' that haven't got the first idea of what the term promoting actually means; coupled with far too many people who have become stale by being at clubs for too long. They haven't got the passion any more; and under their stagnant leadership, things will only continue to spiral into the abyss.

Worryingly, many appear devoid of new ideas; nor do they have the business nouse to successfully change things. Their way is the only way; as each season stagnates into an even bigger car crash than the previous one.

Look no further than two neighbouring teams - Lakeside and Rye House. Jon Cook has taken Lakeside into semi-pro, amateur racing. Rye House, with a new injection of management and ideas, have transformed the club unbelievably successfully - and lets remember, in their first season within the top flight. Improved spectator facilities; team changes where necessary - leading to improved gates. From what I am led to understand, Lakeside now only get a sprinkling of fans at some meetings. If it was an animal, you'd just call a vet to put it out of its misery.

Like a football manager that loses the dressing room, it appears in the case of Lakeside and Kings Lynn, supporters are voting with their feet. To get them back basically needs a change of management and fresh ideas. It needs a display of commitment and confidence; a demonstration of passion and enthusiasm - all attributes of which are infectious to others.

The alternative is to limp into yet another year of false promises and failed commitments. Another year of Reserve Rides, Guests and a fixture list that, to be perfectly honest, is a complete and utter bloody disgrace for a professional sport.

As alluded to earlier, no meetings for weeks then a raft of them within a fortnight. Is it any surprise numbers are down? What family, with limited disposable income, can afford to attend such a backlog even if they wanted to? They are obviously going go pick and choose. So terrace numbers are down; newbies attending won't get any atmosphere to embrace; and the 15 minutes worth of entertainment spread over 2 hours, is hardly a recipie for future success.

Speaking of which, that's my biggest gripe. Having just 15 heats of racing, with never-ending re-starts, riders gardening and going back for mechanics to waste even more time sodding around with a bike that's raced around 5 yards. These things don't personally inspire me to attend local tracks too often these days. Staying still at the start was supposed to stop time-wasting wasn't it? Seriously? There is more time wasted these days than I ever remember in the days of tape pushing. But you'll never get promoters complaining because the time it kills means that they don't have to pay for a second half event. But so what. Forget about the fans standing there in the cold or wet; not being served up any bang for their buck. They'll still be here again next time. Won't they?

Sorry to fly off at tangents. Suffice to say that I truly wish the Kings Lynn Stars every future success. And I'm sure that if you get a new Commander to steer the direction of the ship, you'll have your well-deserved success.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 5

The sport has to move forward, we can't afford another 2017. Proposed change should be tested by asking does it restore credibility and integrity, does it help or hinder restoring team building that will create teams fans can call their own and identity with for more than one season and does it enable a continuity of fixtures. Promoters must now give priority to what is good for the sport as a whole and not just what benefits them.

I hope changes for the better can be made at Kings Lyn but the present promotion give no cause for optimism if the current idea to increase guests to cover any absence is an example. That is exactly what most of us don't want

Can't see that happeneing.So you are trying to say something like a rider saying "can't be bothered tonight you will have to get a guest".I would think they will probably go down the Championship route and say teams can have guests if riders 2-5 are out injured or on other duties ie World qualifiers etc.So we don't have the difficulties experienced by Lynn and Somerset over the last couple of weeks.

Can't see that happeneing.So you are trying to say something like a rider saying "can't be bothered tonight you will have to get a guest".I would think they will probably go down the Championship route and say teams can have guests if riders 2-5 are out injured or on other duties ie World qualifiers etc.So we don't have the difficulties experienced by Lynn and Somerset over the last couple of weeks.

I was simply paraphrasing what Chapman said in this weeks Speedway Star, his words not mine " clubs should be able to have a guest for any missing riders that are on official duty elsewhere, or for whatever reason ".

If you haven't already, have a read of this topic http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=85183 there are some comments there on his latest words of wisdom.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

What you call moaning, is what I call discussing an opinion. There are two ways to make the promoters know how you, the supporter, feels,

1, is to voice your opinion publically, and the second is to not go to matches any more. Now if Buster don't adhere to the criticism he is receiving, then when we get to No2 its too late....

Recently, after 52 years of going to speedway at Kings Lynn, has seen me, for the first time ever, miss meetings because I couldn't be bothered to go...... Now if somebody as die-hard and long standing as I feels this way, what chance has the sport got of surviving ??? Yes the Stars have had a terrible year, but as an elder supporter I can see the bigger picture. Each club is struggling to make it pay and crowd figures are dropping. We are all fed up with guests and replacements, We go weeks without a meeting then we have 6 in one week.. but nobody cares....

The biggest problem we have within the sport , is that the BSPA don't even want listen to us.....

I'm also a long standing fan back to 1972 was the first season I went as a boy over the years I've missed only a handful of meetings my life was more or less planed around speedway and KL speedway mainly - our last meeting was the World Cup this season so when the Poole meeting came around even though we'd won away the night before we made the decision not to go mainly because of being fed up being what I felt taken for granted by the promotion it felt that they expected fans to turn up form an orderly que and hand over £17 well I'd had enough of that and being kept in the dark the lack of promoting by the club various reasons- then of course the events of the home Poole meeting boy was I pleased I'd missed that Rob Lyons walking and the announcer and Holder refusing to ride Batch with his wrist injury but then riding the next night Buster refusing to listen to anyone - and then the team changes right or wrong but to deliberately stop two riders from earning a living I thought was spite full and vindictive by the promotion but if you make changes bring in like for like replacements but no we went down the cheap road did admission prices fall did heck as like -then ridiculous double headers nothing has made we want to return since July 1st that's it until someone listens at the club I won't be returning.If that's moaning or negative comments so be it those are my reasons for not attending.
  • Like 1

Even though it is likely to be the final meeting of the season V RH. I will be surprised is there is much of a crowd turnout for it. Equally so, the lost confidence of many fans this season, will mean even if there were to be relegation match after that, I don't think that would tempt many to the terraces, following such a debacle of a season. KLS has truly lost it's way.

• Like 1

If there is a relegation match I'll be cheering the opposition but via live updates.

I can't bear ever entering the gates of the AFA again while in the Premiership.

Go back to the league where we belong and rider show they care a bit more

If there is a relegation match I'll be cheering the opposition but via live updates.

yet few weeks ago you was praising the riders and management now all of a sudden you slating the club buster and everyone! Need to make your mind up! You would be the first to say back your team through good and bad times
  • Like 1

yet few weeks ago you was praising the riders and management now all of a sudden you slating the club buster and everyone! Need to make your mind up! You would be the first to say back your team through good and bad times

I've nothing against the team at all.

I like the team and enjoyed watching them.

The stance Buster took with Batchelor and Holder I agree with.

As a season ticket holder though I've been mugged and the contempt that Buster has for loyal supporters is unbelievable.

By the sounds of it many fans feel the same and didn't attend against Poole on Thursday too.

No doubt there'll be even less for the Rye House meeting.

I take it you're very happy with how things are then?

really can't see it would make much difference you are basically watching the same riders I'd guess 60-65% ride in both leagues the Championship is a very different league to the old PL we last raced in the differences between the Premiership and Championship is minimal guests and R/R is just as bad , so what would be gained I'm not sure - and dropping a league isn't going to sort the more deep rooted problems out at the club either .

Buster needs to get the backroom staff sorted, we never want That Thursday to happen again in any way, shape or form...

• Like 1

Buster needs to get the backroom staff sorted, we never want That Thursday to happen again in any way, shape or form...

new ideas and enthusiasm is needed and someone who can stand up to Buster .