British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2017

With you on that & that's why I think King's Lynn are taking their time over the No7 position.

Whoever it is will have done their job if they can maintain or add ½ a point on their average.

Think it will be the same for the majority of the teams that if they wish to change a No7 rider they'll end up having to replace 2 riders to do that.

if that is the case I can't see who we are going to sign . We will be extremely lucky to sign a no7 on the points we have available that's going to do little more than make the numbers up

I don't disagree with most of that, except the knowledge of the sport part as a requirement.

Someone who's never been very easily pick up the basics i.e. 7 per team, 4 riders per heat, 15 heats etc etc.

Would the man in the middle hold a crowd at King's Lynn v Belle Vue and starts blabbering on about Glasgow's history?

Or standing there reciting the rule book etc?

For me, what's important is the man in the middle does basic research on a meeting by meeting basis, talk to & about the both teams current riders rather than what that team did in 1973.

If what happened in 1973 with King's Lynn or the away side is important, well I couldn't tell you but a couple of taps into Google and you'd believe I have a vast knowledge.

Knowledge is unimportant, research is important, they're not the same thing.

We will never agree on this one You seem to interpretate the comments to suit your argument. To me knowledge of the sport is a fundamental requirement, that's knowing what is going on, knowing the recent scores, knowing of important happenings, knowing of future meetings and important dates, knowing of bad crashes and current injuries, and knowing the relevance of the league positions and the importance of the points at stake. Coupled with the basic rules of the sport, that is what I refer to as ' Knowledge of the Sport'. I don't see the relevance of what happened in 1973 as an argument in this situation, or that of the whole Speedway History. It's nice to know a few facts but its not so important

To me 'Knowledge' in far more beneficial than 'Research'. 'Knowledge' is something that has been acquired and is inbreed, whereas 'Research' is a get-out of jail card for somebody who doesn't know...... Two totally different applications....

Do you need knowledge of the sport to be a Speedway presenter? NO

Tend to disagree with that. We have all witnessed some none speedway people trying to comment on TV and failing miserably to be replaced very soon.

I remember Charlie Webster asking Peter Adams and other team managers if they can "still pull this back" before heat 15 with the result already known. Absolutely clueless if there knowledge is that poor.

Tend to disagree with that. We have all witnessed some none speedway people trying to comment on TV and failing miserably to be replaced very soon.

I remember Charlie Webster asking Peter Adams and other team managers if they can "still pull this back" before heat 15 with the result already known. Absolutely clueless if there knowledge is that poor.

Yeah I remember a that and a few other classics but tbh stevebrum lets face it there not employed for there brains.

Yeah I remember a that and a few other classics but tbh stevebrum lets face it there not employed for there brains.

Plenty of corkers out there in TV land. However I'd rather they employ knowledgeable people instead of vacuous beauties, no matter how good they look.

Plenty of corkers out there in TV land. However I'd rather they employ knowledgeable people instead of vacuous beauties, no matter how good they look.

Have to admit I was however impressed with Natalie Quirk at Bt sport thought she knew her stuff

It all poses the big Question Danny and GRW....What did happen in 1973 ??? lol

Have to admit I was however impressed with Natalie Quirk at Bt sport thought she knew her stuff

True, wasn't she the announcer at Belle Vue as well? Sure I read that somewhere.

True, wasn't she the announcer at Belle Vue as well? Sure I read that somewhere.

Didn't know that but I am sure she would of been good at it, she seems quite natural when it comes to speedway, do you watch any of the Polish feeds at all?

And so she should bearing in mind her responsibilities at Belle Vue, which also helped with the on-screen repartee with Scott Nicholls.

Best for pit interviews is still Sophie Nicholls for me.

• Like 1

Didn't know that but I am sure she would of been good at it, she seems quite natural when it comes to speedway, do you watch any of the Polish feeds at all?

Often. No idea what they are saying but they have an infectious way of presenting.

But then I'm a fan of Nigel and Kelvin presenting too.

• Like 1

Depends what you want to know. We won the Spring Gold Cup a preseason comp, We knocked Poole out of the KO Cup with Betts and Simmo getting 15pt Max, before losing to Reading the Semi-final. Anders Michanek beat Ole Olsen in the Pride of the East Run-Off; Simmo finished the season with a 10.26 aver; and John Louis equalled Bettsy's track record at 68.8sec..

:rofl: Just for you

King's Lynn finished 3rd in that season missing out on top spot by 8 points but won the Spring Gold Cup heading local rivals Ipswich by 2 points.

Malcolm Simmons was the Stars leading rider in 1973 with an average of 10.26

Terry Betts achieved a very respectable 9.95

Bob Humphreys had a very respectful 6.13 & Ian 'Tiddler' Turner 6.11

Terry Betts & Malcolm Simmons were part of the winning World Team Cup team with Betts scoring 9 points only headed in the scoring charts by Peter Collins (12) & Anders Michanek (11). Simmons scored 8 points

All googled

Although I assume Bailey would have been announced by now if he was the number 7, it would be a little ironic that Holder's average was supposedly too high for Poole but you could fit him into what would be a strong side with over a point to spare.

Edited by The Cheese

We will never agree on this one You seem to interpretate the comments to suit your argument. To me knowledge of the sport is a fundamental requirement, that's knowing what is going on, knowing the recent scores, knowing of important happenings, knowing of future meetings and important dates, knowing of bad crashes and current injuries, and knowing the relevance of the league positions and the importance of the points at stake. Coupled with the basic rules of the sport, that is what I refer to as ' Knowledge of the Sport'. I don't see the relevance of what happened in 1973 as an argument in this situation, or that of the whole Speedway History. It's nice to know a few facts but its not so important

To me 'Knowledge' in far more beneficial than 'Research'. 'Knowledge' is something that has been acquired and is inbreed, whereas 'Research' is a get-out of jail card for somebody who doesn't know...... Two totally different applications....

You are, of course, absolutely correct. It relates to all subjects, not just speedway or other sports. You have to know what you are talking about otherwise as soon as you open your mouth you lose all credibility which can quite quickly result in the person concerned becoming a figure of fun. Supporters are not stupid and someone addressing them who hasn't got knowledge of the support will get nowhere. Seems pretty obvious to me.