British Speedway Forum

Well done Greg just hope this sport is not going like F1 he has explained what happened and Morris and the Ref know better how many titles have they won or raced at the top of the sport ,no wonder he withdrew . .

"Morris and the Ref" aren't as gullible as some.

• Like 5

Well done Greg just hope this sport is not going like F1 he has explained what happened and Morris and the Ref know better how many titles have they won or raced at the top of the sport ,no wonder he withdrew . .

Hark at Mr attention seeker.

So why didn't Hancock say that when interviewed by Brandon after the awards ceremony.

Indeed.

It’s very technical but basically there’s a lever that connects to the handlebars and the clutch and it came loose, I think it started in my first race and it kept getting worse. The clutch was getting more and more loose and in that third race it just kept slipping, I had nothing at all, and when that happens it’s easy to lose a chain and when you’re going at full speed and your chain goes, it’s pretty dangerous. I get quite nervous when it’s like that because it’s only a matter of time until something goes and you can’t just sit in the middle of the track with three guys behind you if you feel like you could fall off.

I went wider and wider to try and make sure that I would be out the way of the guys behind me if anything happened and to try and hold on to the win, it seemed to be working okay and I thought I might be okay but it just wouldn’t go any faster and Chris came by and passed me. He was the fastest guy all night and I just couldn’t keep my speed.

I have never ridden so can someone that is a former rider tell me, in this scenario is Greg saying it can only come loose when cornering? Otherwise is explanation does not make sense because if he was so worried, why was he going flat out mid track out on the straights and pulling a good few bike lengths clear each time.

Edited by TheReturn

Indeed.

I have never ridden so can someone that is a former rider tell me, in this scenario is Greg saying it can only come loose when cornering? Otherwise is explanation does not make sense because if he was so worried, why was he going flat out mid track out on the straights and pulling a good few bike lengths clear each time.

It's called 'thinking on your feet' (while he was standing in the pits presumably).

Edited by foamfence

Indeed. I have never ridden so can someone that is a former rider tell me,

Robert 72 where are you?

I've long admired Hancock's track craft, and there is no denying he's a speedway legend, but I'm not buying his excuse.

He should've just held up his hands, admitted he let Holder through, accepted the exclusion and continued his gp.

Riders have been doing 'favours' for their mates since speedway began, and will no doubt continue to do so, but withdrawing from the meeting has lost him respect from most supporters I would say.

• Like 2

End of the day Loram won the title in similar circumstances. I was there and it was totally blatant. Screen, who was much faster than Loram all night, spent the 5th ride waiving Loram through then spent 4 laps blocking every move Hampel could throw at him.

Was there outrage? Nope. Just a big well done to Screeny for helping his countryman win the wc.

Ah, the old "two wrongs make a right" argument. The more duplicity in speedway is defended the more the sport is dragged into the gutter.
  • Like 7

v

"Morris and the Ref" aren't as gullible as some.

If the Ref felt that Greg had committed this offense he should have been disqualified after the race not when a fellow competitor starts winging so it could have not been that obvious , or at least not to the Ref .As for being gullible if anyone thinks that riders were not helping others then they are the gullible ones , it smacks of the nonsense that goes on in F1 which I no longer watch for that very reason .Funny also how the rider he is accused of helping went on to win the GP but that will be ignored by the "Hancock hate brigade"sadly

v

If the Ref felt that Greg had committed this offense he should have been disqualified after the race not when a fellow competitor starts winging so it could have not been that obvious , or at least not to the Ref .As for being gullible if anyone thinks that riders were not helping others then they are the gullible ones , it smacks of the nonsense that goes on in F1 which I no longer watch for that very reason .Funny also how the rider he is accused of helping went on to win the GP but that will be ignored by the "Hancock hate brigade"sadly

Well I'm not part of any brigade but you're right, he did help Holder to win the event, well spotted.

v

What happened (after the event) was within the rules. I'm not a member of the 'Hancock hate brigade' but I do remember the amount of damage that previous cheating incidents caused, it was even used as an excuse by mainstream TV when they stopped showing Speedway. I also remember the drop in crowd numbers when a number of 'top' riders admitted fixing results, those numbers never recovered. There is also the question of taking bets on a 'fixed' meeting and riders walking out on people who have paid a lot of money to see them.

• Like 2

riders walking out on people who have paid a lot of money to see them.

Hancock showed in the SWC that he does not care about fans, he just turns up and rides when he can be bothered.

• Like 1

Hancock showed in the SWC that he does not care about fans, he just turns up and rides when he can be bothered.

I disagree. What he thinks about is....

pound-symbol-47041.png

Edited by Jacques

If a footballer is penalised incorrectly for delibarate handball, does he walk off the pitch carrying the ball? Or does he get on with it and protest his innocence after the game.

For too long the sport has indulged the likes of Middleditch, who decided Hancock was innocent and threw his toys out the pram IMMEDIATELY because the Ref had the temerity to apply the rules. What kind of attitude is that????? You have to stay firm at this point, because there is an attitude in a certain speedway clique that they can do what they like and the rules are just there for the plebs. Fair play to Hancock if he is genuinely innocent, but I choose to listen to Kelvin, another ex rider who's opinion I actually respect.