British Speedway Forum
Dandelion

Newcastle 2017

What about LUDVIG

maybe he'll be there, entertaining the fans but not actually contributing anything ;)

Does anyone have the dates for P&P yet?

I'd presume the week before the Berwick matches so Sunday 19th March for Practice and 20th March for P&P.

Ask Jenga he does't know but will tell you that Glasgow have money to spend.

• Like 3

I'd presume the week before the Berwick matches so Sunday 19th March for Practice and 20th March for P&P.

Yes, and it has been previously announced.

I hadn't seen it anywhere, or at least, if I had, then I've forgotten!

There are still riders out there without a team this season, Matthew Wethers and Theo Pijper to name two. There are bound to be more. I'm all for giving young British riders the chance to ride as many meetings as possible to further their careers but there has to be some sort of limit or there will be the same situation with r/r and guests every year due to commitment clashes.

How about enforcing the use of a NL rider (Championship eligible 2 pointer) rather than allowing RR (or limit RR to a couple of uses per season to cover last minute emergencies?) that way riders looking to move up could gain experience, some teams would abuse the RR facility would not benefit, meetings would not be so drawn out & hopefully clubs would look to avoid signing riders who are doubling up.

How about enforcing the use of a NL rider (Championship eligible 2 pointer) rather than allowing RR (or limit RR to a couple of uses per season to cover last minute emergencies?) that way riders looking to move up could gain experience, some teams would abuse the RR facility would not benefit, meetings would not be so drawn out & hopefully clubs would look to avoid signing riders who are doubling up.

i agree with your sentiments and you could see something like that introduced, when the current drive to produce new young riders throughout the BSPA/SCB initiatives starts producing more kids. Weakening the team strengths in all leagues will help with it, and it will need ideas like yours to keep promotions on their toes.

• Like 1

i agree with your sentiments and you could see something like that introduced, when the current drive to produce new young riders throughout the BSPA/SCB initiatives starts producing more kids. Weakening the team strengths in all leagues will help with it, and it will need ideas like yours to keep promotions on their toes.

I am not against the idea as I am all for youngsters coming through the system but there is a danger about weakening the product too much which has to be taken into account . Perhaps all reserves should be 2 pointers only maybe a better idea . Can you imagine if for instance Robert Lambert or Steve Worrall got seriously injured early on and was out for the rest of the season would supporters be happy with a 2 pointer replacing him.

I'd agree to that if both teams were going to be using R/R.

But, under your idea (if I read it correctly, you want to scrap R/R altogether), if say the away team is missing their second in the averages it would be even more of a handicap having to put in an NL 2 pointer.

We had something similar at Newcastle last season when Connor Coles rode at number 1 for Plymouth and (no offence to Connor) it ruined it as a match.

I am not against the idea as I am all for youngsters coming through the system but there is a danger about weakening the product too much which has to be taken into account . Perhaps all reserves should be 2 pointers only maybe a better idea . Can you imagine if for instance Robert Lambert or Steve Worrall got seriously injured early on and was out for the rest of the season would supporters be happy with a 2 pointer replacing him.

Good point although would supporters be happy with RR all season?

I'd agree to that if both teams were going to be using R/R.

But, under your idea (if I read it correctly, you want to scrap R/R altogether), if say the away team is missing their second in the averages it would be even more of a handicap having to put in an NL 2 pointer.

We had something similar at Newcastle last season when Connor Coles rode at number 1 for Plymouth and (no offence to Connor) it ruined it as a match.

Again a very fair point made. Perhaps a limit on the number of times a team can use RR each season? Maybe twice home and twice away so that extreme cases can be covered but equally the facility isn't abused?

Move the team about and put the2 pointer at reserve this moving the best reserve into main body somewhere

• Like 1

Move the team about and put the2 pointer at reserve this moving the best reserve into main body somewhere

What happens when you've already got 2 2pointers at reserve, like Newcastle have?

If your team is Newcastle or Ipswich that would be a pretty raw deal .

Good point although would supporters be happy with RR all season?

In the70's if your #1 or any of the top 5 were out injured R/R was the only option unless they were on international duty then a guest was allowed.

• Like 1

I don't know to be honest - but it is just silly at present.

So is boycotting Newcastle speedway because of a rule that has been in place for a few years now and is likely to remain that way but hey ho