British Speedway Forum

Won't be on a 4 if we're using PL averages. Be 7 surely?

Won't be on a 4 if we're using PL averages. Be 7 surely?

Thought all new foreigners come in on a 4

Hope not, based on reports from others

Saw him last season at Somerset. He scored a big fat zero.

Can't be Grondal. Swindon team is better than Coventrys. Can only assume the person claimed his has got the wrong Emil :D

No worries if it is. He beat Brady Kurtz, Newman, Sarjeant, Bates, Kerr, Clegg, Starke, Wilson-Dean & Howarth this season & he had a few 8 point returns for Peterborough so he can do it when he's up for it & we won't have wasted a packet on reserves like Coventry! Our top five will be licking their lips!

Saw him last season at Somerset. He scored a big fat zero.

Is Rosco making a comeback :D ?

• Like 2

Did, Shov was a fanatical Robins fan. He went home and away across the country to support Swindon. He travelled on the coach with us and with another guy in a robin reliant!! He was a great laugh and very vocal at away tracks. ;)

Colin Beeney was his name. Had a real beaten up three wheeler Reliant and an old cassette machine where he played the Wurzels full blast, along with old tapes of Swindon meetings, which was before video. Used to go along with another guy who was the raker on the first bend called Dave Stoddart or Stoddard. People should remember him. Long brown hair, tall with glasses. Raked the first and second bend for years.

Remember a trip to Ipswich where Swindon got beat 55-23 (Ashby 11 from 5)and on the way back Colin was getting tired, so stopped the reliant in the 3rd lane of the m4 and started doing press ups. Motorways much quieter in those days. Then decided to empty what was left in a couple of airhorns. 20 mins later we got pulled by the old bill asking if it was us making a din and waking up half of Slough.

Funny old days..

As for deserting Swindon for Poole it was not as straight as it looked. I left Swindon in 77 to live in Bournemouth, and didn't go to speedway from then until 86, with If I recall one meeting, England v USA at Poole in 83.

Started going regularly again in 86 at Poole in the National league, at first as a neutral. Swindon were top flight so it wasn't like I had ditched Swindon for Poole. Didn't go to any away meetings until 90. Then of course Poole moved back up but by then I had been going to Poole longer than Swindon. As I was never going to return to Swindon to live the decision was made. Must say I will always have a soft spot for Swindon but only lived in the town for 9 years where I have lived in Dorset for 39 years.

However, for my sins, I am a STFC supporter.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 4

Thought all new foreigners come in on a 4

Surely to God not? So we're using PL averages, unless you're a new foreign rider who is a 4? The BSPA are no that stupid are they? If so why have clubs not be filling up with 4 point foreignors?!

Glasgow are announcing a rider tomorrow morning, with the top 3 they have they will need a low averaged rider. That said, if Grondal is at Swindon then so be it.

No Grondal at Newcastle either. Looking like Swindon.

Grondal averages over 9 at Rye House scoring 15+1 and 12+ 2 on his two visits there. We will be there 3 times at least this year. Also had heat wins at Berwick Somerset Scunthorpe Workington Sheffield ( another track he seems to like). Probably not going to like Monmore.

• Like 1

Surely to God not? So we're using PL averages, unless you're a new foreign rider who is a 4? The BSPA are no that stupid are they? If so why have clubs not be filling up with 4 point foreignors?!

I suspect this is a "rare" case of Phil the ace had it wrong!
  • Like 1

Given they are using essentially old PL averages I was assuming new riders would come in the same to either league, using the lower league rules.

As I'm sure you know, 4 point (previously 5) averages were only for riders who hadn't raced in the league in Sweden, Poland or Denmark. Anyone who raced in those leagues was given at least a 7.

Edited by HenryW

Given they are using essentially old PL averages I was assuming new riders would come in the same to either league, using the lower league rules.

As I'm sure you know, 4 point (previously 5) averages were only for riders who hadn't raced in the league in Sweden, Poland or Denmark. Anyone who raced in those leagues was given at least a 7.

4.39 is listed as his PL average on BSPA.

Colin Beeney was his name. Had a real beaten up three wheeler Reliant and an old cassette machine where he played the Wurzels full blast, along with old tapes of Swindon meetings, which was before video. Used to go along with another guy who was the raker on the first bend called Dave Stoddart or Stoddard. People should remember him. Long brown hair, tall with glasses. Raked the first and second bend for years.

Remember a trip to Ipswich where Swindon got beat 55-23 (Ashby 11 from 5)and on the way back Colin was getting tired, so stopped the reliant in the 3rd lane of the m4 and started doing press ups. Motorways much quieter in those days. Then decided to empty what was left in a couple of airhorns. 20 mins later we got pulled by the old bill asking if it was us making a din and waking up half of Slough.

Funny old days..

Started going regularly again in 86 at Poole in the National league, at first as a neutral. Swindon were top flight so it wasn't like I had ditched Swindon for Poole. Didn't go to any away meetings until 90. Then of course Poole moved back up but by then I had been going to Poole longer than Swindon. As I was never going to return to Swindon to live the decision was made. Must say I will always have a soft spot for Swindon but only lived in the town for 9 years where I have lived in Dorset for 39 years.

However, for my sins, I am a STFC supporter.

Well somebodys got to be... :rofl:

I suspect this is a "rare" case of Phil the ace had it wrong!

Exactly my thoughts.