British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RPNY

Brits In Sec/pairs

I understand and appreciate your dedication to our domestic league, however the fact is the same BSPA that want succes on the international stage are also hampering the British lads by not letting them enter competitions like this.

The SEC is a perfect introduction to that level of racing. It would be a massive benefit for them.

Applications by federations for rider allocations need to be submitted by Sep 30th. And there have been absolutely no info given where the qualifiers are held.

I understand and appreciate your dedication to our domestic league, however the fact is the same BSPA that want succes on the international stage are also hampering the British lads by not letting them enter competitions like this.

I don't have any great dedication to British leagues, but a decision has to be made whether riders are allowed to go off and ride in privately promoted competitions at the expense of their main source of employment. It's all very well saying it's valuable experience (which it may or may not be), but when domestic circuits can no longer make a go of it because fans can no longer be bothered to watch makeshift teams, then success at an international level will be irrelevant because there will nowhere for British riders to ride anymore.

The British leagues leave a lot to be desired, but they do offer more meetings than any other country and are one of just 3 or 4 places where 150 or so riders can earn something approaching a living. These various OneSport promoted events are all very well, but are a handful of meetings here-and-there for a handful of riders, with only a very few top riders apparently making reasonable money.

What you also have to ask is whether success on the international stage brings an iota of extra revenue into local tracks? Are sponsors and crowds queuing up to get into local tracks because there's a British World Champion? I think the answer is most likely no, whereas it's certainly not pulling in the crowds when British teams are constantly missing riders so that a Polish company can enrich itself.

• Like 2

As far as the Pairs is concerned I agree with you, it is a Mickey Mouse event, as soon as they ditched Countries and replaced them with sponsored team names it became pointless.

The individual event less so, which is why I think some of our riders would do well to take part, of course that means missing fixtures on a Saturday night inparticular, maybe another reason for the EL to

consider a one race night each week, it is going to happen at some point.

Don't blame Onesoirt, blame BSI who demanded that OS shouldn't be allowed to usse national teams.

Don't blame Onesoirt, blame BSI who demanded that OS shouldn't be allowed to usse national teams.

Is that actually true?

Now turn the clock back a couple of years to when everyone on BSF was calling the SEC a Mickey Mouse competition...

I don't think your statement is true.In fact i know it isn't.I never called it a mickey mouse competition.The one i called mickey mouse was the Champions League thngmy..........when is that going to be held by the way? :rofl:

• Like 2

I don't have any great dedication to British leagues, but a decision has to be made whether riders are allowed to go off and ride in privately promoted competitions at the expense of their main source of employment. It's all very well saying it's valuable experience (which it may or may not be), but when domestic circuits can no longer make a go of it because fans can no longer be bothered to watch makeshift teams, then success at an international level will be irrelevant because there will nowhere for British riders to ride anymore.

The British leagues leave a lot to be desired, but they do offer more meetings than any other country and are one of just 3 or 4 places where 150 or so riders can earn something approaching a living. These various OneSport promoted events are all very well, but are a handful of meetings here-and-there for a handful of riders, with only a very few top riders apparently making reasonable money.

What you also have to ask is whether success on the international stage brings an iota of extra revenue into local tracks? Are sponsors and crowds queuing up to get into local tracks because there's a British World Champion? I think the answer is most likely no, whereas it's certainly not pulling in the crowds when British teams are constantly missing riders so that a Polish company can enrich itself.

You are right in what you say, but at absolute best we (Brits) would have 2 or 3 riders competing in the SEC/Pairs. There arent that many Saturday tracks these days and Lambert and Cook for example would not have even been affected this year as their clubs dont run on Saturdays. So with a little bit of tweaking and common sense, the riders could enter the SEC and the British fixtures wouldn't be effected

But what are the chances of common sense prevailing...

Edited by RPNYC
  • Like 1

PROBABLY because they had paid the FIM for the rights to a Pairs competition.

...I never called it a mickey mouse competition....

You might not have, but plenty of others did. Some people even today think of the SGP series as "Mickey Mouse" because they can't see beyond their own stadium car parks...opinions are varied, and as I said there were plenty who mocked the SEC in years gone by. Some have changed their minds since, others will still be of that opinion. That's people for you.

You are right in what you say, but at absolute best we (Brits) would have 2 or 3 riders competing in the SEC/Pairs. There arent that many Saturday tracks these days and Lambert and Cook for example would not have even been affected this year as their clubs dont run on Saturdays. So with a little bit of tweaking and common sense, the riders could enter the SEC and the British fixtures wouldn't be effected

Maybe many tracks don't run on Saturday because of the competition from all the other events, with the attendant consequences on their crowds and longer term viability. If it's okay for British tracks to run midweek, then why aren't the Pairs and other European rounds run in midweek (and public holidays)?

What tends to be forgotten is these European competitions were largely created to give meaningful fixtures in countries that don't really have organised competition structures, whereas there were already full league programmes in Britain. Furthermore, the creation of the SEC GP and Pairs were about the influence of one private promoter over another and some sort of power struggle within the FIM. It shouldn't be indulged.

PROBABLY because they had paid the FIM for the rights to a Pairs competition.

Although I have my criticisms of BSI, it's nothing sort of scandalous that governing bodies should be setting up effectively parallel competitions and selling the rights to different promoters. Regardless of how good or bad the SEC is or isn't, there should be no place for two GP series in Europe.

Having said that, if BSI are not exercising their rights to promote a Pairs competition, I don't see that it's unreasonable those rights are taken away if someone else is prepared to run it.

Why alternate? They aren't going to ditch the Swc being annual. The pairs could be run over three consecutive days, if you have semis, or just one Saturday if you seed the nations to a final. Or a Friday Saturday if you have only ten teams you could run both semis as one meeting.

Why alternate? They aren't going to ditch the Swc being annual.

I get the impression that BSI would like to see the back of the SWC. It's been progressively scaled back from the original ambitions, and one wonders whether it's really very profitable for them.

The last few years have seen no material change to format. Final I thought always got good crowds. It is generally some of the best speedway of the season.

Just wondering why you think they would like rid?

It is insane there aren't any British riders in either of these. I know there are fixture clashes as etc, but bigger picture is people like Cook, King, Lambert & others would benefit massively from competing in these. Madness people aren't encouraging their participation in it.

Added to that, very good series to watch.

Agree with everything there, the SEC has been more interesting than the GP, going to different venues. I've always liked the Pairs format, at least you get a chance to see team riding, unlike the World Cup. In an ideal world I would like to see it expanded to include a second division, to get the likes of Italy, Hungary, Slovenia, Slovakia, Croatia, Norway, Finland etc to see if it gives the sport in these countries a kick start.