British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RPNY

Brits In Sec/pairs

Beauty of pairs is minor countries can put out a half decent (literally) pairing. Likes of Hancock, Vaculik and zagar would be capable of single handedly steering their nation to the final on a good day. And a max in the final plus the odd point chipped in by their partner could be enough for a medal.

Agree with everything there, the SEC has been more interesting than the GP, going to different venues. I've always liked the Pairs format, at least you get a chance to see team riding, unlike the World Cup. In an ideal world I would like to see it expanded to include a second division, to get the likes of Italy, Hungary, Slovenia, Slovakia, Croatia, Norway, Finland etc to see if it gives the sport in these countries a kick start.

But in real world these countries dont have the riders or backup to take part. Remember that this 2nd division sort of existed already with two qualis two fill a slot in each event. They then made the host seeded and reduced team size while some countries havent even applied to take part anymore. Only one qualy for a couple of years now.

The last few years have seen no material change to format. Final I thought always got good crowds. It is generally some of the best speedway of the season.

Just wondering why you think they would like rid?

Over the years it's gone from a 12 to 8 team tournament, moved from being a tournament to rounds held in the same 3 or 4 countries, gone from 5 rider teams down to 4 (although reserve was subsequently added back), and then having the host team seeded to Final. In other words, it's pretty much back to being the old WTC.

This is quite aside from the smaller countries hardly bothering to enter anymore.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Now turn the clock back a couple of years to when everyone on BSF was calling the SEC a Mickey Mouse competition...

I don't remember anyone calling the SEC Mickey Mouse, just the "Best Pairs" and lets be honest, hindsight says the "Best Pairs" is Mickey Mouse!

I don't remember anyone calling the SEC Mickey Mouse, just the "Best Pairs" and lets be honest, hindsight says the "Best Pairs" is Mickey Mouse!

Tbf to him there were a couple who called it mickey mouse.I think Bwitcher was one,but obviously going way ott by saying everyone :rofl:

Who cares if the SEC or SBP are Mickey Mouse or not.... these are big events with big exposure and a great opportunity for every rider imo :)

• Like 2

Who cares if the SEC or SBP are Mickey Mouse or not.... these are big events with big exposure and a great opportunity for every rider imo :)

Absolutely right and it will take quite a few years for new series to settle. Not that many years ago the Rallycross European championship series was

considered to be " a mickey mouse championship" that not many cared about. Today it has evolved into a global world championship with several

international motorsport stars in the lineup.

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • Like 1

I just dont see how random pairs in a random event is a big event. Nobody will remember the winners in a few years time, in fact I doubt if many can remember this year winners!

I just dont see how random pairs in a random event is a big event. Nobody will remember the winners in a few years time, in fact I doubt if many can remember this year winners!

Big sponsors, money, tv, proper crowds, etc etc. Need I say more?

• Like 1

Over the years it's gone from a 12 to 8 team tournament, moved from being a tournament to rounds held in the same 3 or 4 countries, gone from 5 rider teams down to 4 (although reserve was subsequently added back), and then having the host team seeded to Final. In other words, it's pretty much back to being the old WTC.

This is quite aside from the smaller countries hardly bothering to enter anymore.

I still think the SWC is a superb competition and the racing year in year out is superb. However, they need to do something to stop riders drifting away and taking it as the opportunity for a mid season week off. The fact that is essentially what Hancock and Nikki did this year and what Tai is going to do next year saddens me. Hopefully they can get this situation sorted. The big name Russians coming back this year was a huge plus, let's hope it continues in that vein.

Edited by RPNYC

I still think the SWC is a superb competition and the racing year in year out is superb.

I think it's the best and most interesting international competition. That's why it's a shame to see that it's become a pale shadow of its former self.

Big sponsors, money, tv, proper crowds, etc etc.

Which is benefitting who?

I think it's the best and most interesting international competition. That's why it's a shame to see that it's become a pale shadow of its former self.

Really? I think the format is about right, other than possibly the issue of host being sees ed to the final.

Like it a lot more than the early 80s wtc where you had two rubbish teams in the final. Or the mid 80s 3 match series.

Racing at the swc tends to be very good. How would u realistically improve it?

You mean it isn't as good as it was in the days when GB had a team capable of winning and trophies came this side of the Channell?

You mean it isn't as good as it was in the days when GB had a team capable of winning and trophies came this side of the Channell?

It's not as good as when there were upwards of 18 different countries entering from Quarter-Finals onwards.

GB's period of dominance was largely before my time.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Which is benefitting who?

The speedway sport in general. Or perhaps you mean that it's negative for the sport to receive sponsor money, TV-exposure?