British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

Anyone Else Considering Walking Away From Speedway?

Because it probably doesn't cost you a bean...That would work for you, wouldn't it Steve... :o

What on earth are you on about?

It costs money to enter amateur meetings , not to attend. It costs me more money than it does to go watch.

The point I was making is that no one needs to be starved of lack of speedway in the winter when there is an amateur series taking part.

Did you miss that part?

• Like 1

The league set-up in the UK may be creaking but the Grand Prix series is as good as ever

The problems in the sport have been rife for so long now, but I've always said that the infamous 2010/2011 winter saga bankrupted British Speedway's remaining credibility.

It is things like this that finally makes us bite the bullet and, even though we don't want it, makes our belief in speedway finally waver. Mine occurred in the mid-2000s, the Golden Doubles, trashing of the old tactical-subs and the night Reading came to Belle Vue chasing Play-Off glory and couldn't have cared less if they had tried. My piece in the Retro Speedway Speedway Memories book explains: Reading were chasing Elite League glory when they arrived in Manchester for a mid-September match in 2006. They needed just the aggregate bonus point to clinch top spot in the table on arrival in Manchester.

But it was irrelevant to them. When the Bulldogs unloaded their machines that night, their main intention was steering as far away as possible from the aggregate bonus point, giving them second in the table and an easier semi-final passage.

I had seen stunts like this before – Bruce Penhall, 1982 Overseas Final, for one. But the latest one came when I was at the end of my tether with the sport.

Reading had a cosmopolitan and attractive line-up, and I had honestly looked forward to a keenly fought encounter, hopefully good speedway with the best side winning.

Events of that night left a lousy taste. Reading folded like a cheap Christmas card. I couldn’t be bothered anymore, standing for hours on often-chilly terraces when stunts like that were happening.

Perhaps I am wrong and maybe my cynicism really does call for medical attention, but the damage of that night is irreparable

Reading, and who can blame them, had no stomach for the fight. The lackadaisical attitude was all too evident from the off. Their intentions reeked.

Imagine how others felt, people who paid good money. I wasn’t one of them but was disappointed. Speedway had turned into something resembling Professional Wrestling.

It was the final straw. My days on the terraces were nearing a conclusion.

You could say with hindsight, justice was done in the Play-Off Final weeks later, when the Bulldogs were robbed against Peterborough, who played perfectly the Golden Double rule and overhauled Reading’s lead at the death.

Reading were much the better team over two legs but, unlike the Belle Vue fiasco, their mistake this time was that they were deadly serious about amassing as many points as possible… and it turned sour on them.

Peterborough sufficiently went enough behind to play a couple of Golden Doubles and overhaul Reading right at the death of the second leg. Great TV, even for the neutral, but for me it was a cheap method of providing some for-the-moment thrill-factor and wasn’t in the best interest of the sport’s credibility.

The World Cup a few years ago, when Crump and Pedersen slowed going over the line so that both countries could make a tactical move, I really thought the sport’s authorities would finally ditch Golden Double and Jokers. But what do I know? There were a few instances of play-acting in the 2013 World Cup, and moves like this make me question just what races are or aren’t real.

• Like 2

It is things like this that finally makes us bite the bullet and, even though we don't want it, makes our belief in speedway finally waver. Mine occurred in the mid-2000s, the Golden Doubles, trashing of the old tactical-subs and the night Reading came to Belle Vue chasing Play-Off glory and couldn't have cared less if they had tried. My piece in the Retro Speedway Speedway Memories book explains: Reading were chasing Elite League glory when they arrived in Manchester for a mid-September match in 2006. They needed just the aggregate bonus point to clinch top spot in the table on arrival in Manchester.

But it was irrelevant to them. When the Bulldogs unloaded their machines that night, their main intention was steering as far away as possible from the aggregate bonus point, giving them second in the table and an easier semi-final passage.

I had seen stunts like this before – Bruce Penhall, 1982 Overseas Final, for one. But the latest one came when I was at the end of my tether with the sport.

Reading had a cosmopolitan and attractive line-up, and I had honestly looked forward to a keenly fought encounter, hopefully good speedway with the best side winning.

Events of that night left a lousy taste. Reading folded like a cheap Christmas card. I couldn’t be bothered anymore, standing for hours on often-chilly terraces when stunts like that were happening.

Perhaps I am wrong and maybe my cynicism really does call for medical attention, but the damage of that night is irreparable

Reading, and who can blame them, had no stomach for the fight. The lackadaisical attitude was all too evident from the off. Their intentions reeked.

Imagine how others felt, people who paid good money. I wasn’t one of them but was disappointed. Speedway had turned into something resembling Professional Wrestling.

It was the final straw. My days on the terraces were nearing a conclusion.

You could say with hindsight, justice was done in the Play-Off Final weeks later, when the Bulldogs were robbed against Peterborough, who played perfectly the Golden Double rule and overhauled Reading’s lead at the death.

Reading were much the better team over two legs but, unlike the Belle Vue fiasco, their mistake this time was that they were deadly serious about amassing as many points as possible… and it turned sour on them.

Peterborough sufficiently went enough behind to play a couple of Golden Doubles and overhaul Reading right at the death of the second leg. Great TV, even for the neutral, but for me it was a cheap method of providing some for-the-moment thrill-factor and wasn’t in the best interest of the sport’s credibility.

The World Cup a few years ago, when Crump and Pedersen slowed going over the line so that both countries could make a tactical move, I really thought the sport’s authorities would finally ditch Golden Double and Jokers. But what do I know? There were a few instances of play-acting in the 2013 World Cup, and moves like this make me question just what races are or aren’t real.

More rubbish and made up stuff ..how do make out that Reading taking on a in form Swindon was a easier semi final ? Belle Vue finished a close up 5th that year with a great home record and were also were the bookies fav to win that night ..I remember because I backed Belle vue who were -8 to win .. so no reason or shock that Belle vue won that night . I might be wrong but also think they beat reading in the first match at Belle vue as well

As for the ts under the old rules Boro would not doubt have scored more than the six extra points they did with the old tac sub rule in place ...it's same the old story a old speedway fan who does not care about logic or reason or the good of the sport but just wants the rules to go back in time to when he went

Edited by orion

Speedway isn't for me anymore, so I should move on... I accept that.

Yep. Off you go.

The league set-up in the UK may be creaking but the Grand Prix series is as good as ever

So? That's no good for UK speedway

Edited by Midland Red

I walk away from speedway every week. Across the car park, into my van and then home.

Shame you can't keep going

• Like 1

More rubbish and made up stuff ..how do make out that Reading taking on a in form Swindon was a easier semi final ? Belle Vue finished a close up 5th that year with a great home record and were also were the bookies fav to win that night ..I remember because I backed Belle vue who were -8 to win .. so no reason or shock that Belle vue won that night . I might be wrong but also think they beat reading in the first match at Belle vue as well

As for the ts under the old rules Boro would not doubt have scored more than the six extra points they did with the old tac sub rule in place ...it's same the old story a old speedway fan who does not care about logic or reason or the good of the sport but just wants the rules to go back in time to when he went

It isn't made up... it was witnessed by my eyes. Reading had won the match at Smallmead 55-40 against the Aces three weeks earlier and were expected to secure the aggregate bonus point in the return at Belle Vue, especially having lost by only 12 there earlier. But the return at BV saw Bulldogs losing 59-34 and they lost the agg. bonus. the chance of winning the table to Peterborough, winners on race points. They then beat Swindon in the one-legged semi, their chosen opponents, remembering they had lost both home matches to Coventry that season but won both vs Swindon. That made me feel at the time, that the match at Belle Vue, the one I highlight, was one Reading were not interested in performing. They didn't want the bonus point and the potential semi against Coventry, who finished fourth in the table but had beaten Reading at Smallmead twice.

Does it make sense now?

As for the 2006 Reading v Peterborough Final

The Joker, Golden Joker, Golden Double or Tactical Double – whatever it’s been called down the years, it is a rule that is detested by the vast majority of speedway traditionalists.

First initiated in Knock-Out Cup matches in 1997, golden double races were introduced across the board for all matches in 1999. From now, a side falling eight points or more behind could utilize the golden points rule, allowing it to introducing one rider off a 15-yard handicap, where any points he scored would be doubled.

The 15-metre golden double race has been available for sluggish sides since its 1997 inception.

The conventional Tactical Substitute rule was phased out after the 2003 season. In its place for 2004 came a rule allowing a team to nominate (from the grid) a maximum of two programmed riders to try to gain double points - as long as the side was at least eight points behind (nine points in 2005).

In 2006 the rule was slightly changed – from now a nominated rider had to beat at least one opponent to secure double points.

Then, in 2007, the rule was again altered. Now a team could nominate a rider for double points just the once a meeting from the grid... and even then, that team had to be 10-points behind and not nine, as was the case in 2006.

The 2007 change was brought about after the 2006 Elite Final play-off final between Peterborough and Reading had highlighted the problem with the 2006 rule, where a team could potentially claw back a staggering 14-points from two races and drastically turn a meeting in its favour.

Now, I loved speedway for the sport itself, the spectacle... not as a form of past time, to have a wee bet and make a few quid out of, as you suggest you do. The sport is more important than making me a few quid, but there you are...

I want a serious sport.... and the examples above, I wasn't getting that.

Edited by moxey63

It isn't made up... it was witnessed by my eyes. Reading had won the match at Smallmead 55-40 against the Aces three weeks earlier and were expected to secure the aggregate bonus point in the return at Belle Vue, especially having lost by only 12 there earlier. But the return at BV saw Bulldogs losing 59-34 and they lost the agg. bonus. the chance of winning the table to Peterborough, winners on race points. They then beat Swindon in the one-legged semi, their chosen opponents, remembering they had lost both home matches to Coventry that season but won both vs Swindon. That made me feel at the time, that the match at Belle Vue, the one I highlight, was one Reading were not interested in performing. They didn't want the bonus point and the potential semi against Coventry, who finished fourth in the table but had beaten Reading at Smallmead twice.

Does it make sense now.

Nothing makes sense to Orion mate, As i said, put some of these clowns on ignore you'l feel so much better..

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

Yes many times !!!!. Having spent my whole life as a motor bike nut, speedway enabled me to continue this adolescent pastime even now when I've reached that retiring age. As the years go past your priorities change. Where once, everything in life was important and had be done in the correct way, now you except the sub-standard ways as normal and just enjoy the parts that triggers the memories of the 'Good ole Times'..

The smell lingers, but its not as strong now, and the meetings take forever. Where once we would start at half 7 and finish by 10, now we start a half 7 and hope to be done by 10. but now we only have 15 heats where we always had a full second half. The ways that time is wasted is unbelievable.....

The speedway of yesteryear was a different animal altogether. The crowds were 5 fold better, the atmosphere was electric, The riders connected with the fans. The Promoters promoted the sport. The fans were treated with respect and looked upon as the most important part.. Nothing was too much trouble..... Not any more. The BSPA, the Rules and the contempt has all but destroyed all the fans. There's not many left.

If I was to think about the short term way the sport is run, or the integrity shown by the sports governing bodies or the way the meetings are drawn out I would never go near a meeting again. But the fact that I don't give a damn anymore, and go just to enjoy the concept of 4 riders racing with go brakes. That is enough to keep me on board, knowing when I had enough I can always go home......

For a speedway Promoter to read that, must make him feel real sad ....

• Like 1

I don't feel that 'buzz' about speedway like I used to, I'd feel excited upon waking on speedway day and wouldn't miss a home fixture all year as well as going to several away matches. Probably go to half a dozen meetings per season now and its difficult to put it down to one particular reason. Several come to mind such as cost (too expensive), dull racing, too much R/R & guests, dodgy weather and the 'heat 10' rule, poor governance and cheating, lack of time to get to meetings and the fact that meetings can drag on for up to three hours. I really hope I don't walk away completely but I feel my enthusiasm fading away a little bit more each year.

• Like 2

Apart from a brief 4 yr stint supporting Long Eaton during the Leicesterless years, I have always believed that the top division in the UK was where I wanted to be..

You should have learned at Station Road, not having plush surroundings and top league does not mean you can't have fantastic racing. You were spoiled on the great racing at Station Road ;)

• Like 2

Does it make sense now?

As for the 2006 Reading v Peterborough Final

The Joker, Golden Joker, Golden Double or Tactical Double – whatever it’s been called down the years, it is a rule that is detested by the vast majority of speedway traditionalists.

First initiated in Knock-Out Cup matches in 1997, golden double races were introduced across the board for all matches in 1999. From now, a side falling eight points or more behind could utilize the golden points rule, allowing it to introducing one rider off a 15-yard handicap, where any points he scored would be doubled.

The 15-metre golden double race has been available for sluggish sides since its 1997 inception.

The conventional Tactical Substitute rule was phased out after the 2003 season. In its place for 2004 came a rule allowing a team to nominate (from the grid) a maximum of two programmed riders to try to gain double points - as long as the side was at least eight points behind (nine points in 2005).

In 2006 the rule was slightly changed – from now a nominated rider had to beat at least one opponent to secure double points.

Then, in 2007, the rule was again altered. Now a team could nominate a rider for double points just the once a meeting from the grid... and even then, that team had to be 10-points behind and not nine, as was the case in 2006.

The 2007 change was brought about after the 2006 Elite Final play-off final between Peterborough and Reading had highlighted the problem with the 2006 rule, where a team could potentially claw back a staggering 14-points from two races and drastically turn a meeting in its favour.

Now, I loved speedway for the sport itself, the spectacle... not as a form of past time, to have a wee bet and make a few quid out of, as you suggest you do. The sport is more important than making me a few quid, but there you are...

I want a serious sport.... and the examples above, I wasn't getting that.

First of all Boro would have claw back a lot more points under the old tac sub rule ...as we know you have always been favour of that rule so that does not suggest you want a serious sport it suggests that you only care about sticking to old rules no matter what ..the facts are quite clear the old tac sub brought false results than the new rule ever has .

Yet again your not giving all the facts ...When the teams first meant over Two legs Belle Vue had won the Bonus point so not really a shock that a team that was super strong at home and had beaten this team by 12 points in the first match as well as being in the Ko final went on to beat reading and claim the bonus point ...as I said all ever do is go on about the days and want old rules back ...if care that much about a serious sport you would not have gone when the old tac sub rule was in place or when riders were all paying each other to drop points to each other ...but somehow you did .

• Like 1

It becomes a struggle to think of a good reason to go to a live meeting these days. Poor presentation, generally a lack of close racing, plenty of times where six plus the guaranteed r/r turn out with more guests that the average Jonthan Ross talk show, more gardening than then the local garden centre can shake a hoe at, meetings that drag on where only fifteen minutes or so of speedway can take up to three hours and that is with just fifteen heats. No wonder so few entertain the idea of second halves or additional forms of racing. Add to this little in the way of atmosphere and few who will watch anything other than a league meeting which means that some lower order riders rarely get the chance to test themselves because of the lack of individual or inter league challenge matches involving more experienced riders. No promotion will take a gamble and put these events on because of the apathy then is it an wonder that British riders are making up the numbers rather than being taken as a serious force to reckon with. Having already been castigated for having views on the current state of the sport, I await more abuse for having a opinion on this thread. Still it makes better entertainment then the average league meeting and it has not cost an entry fee

• Like 2

What a nasty piece of work you are a cock . !! of the highest order.

He's been unnecessarily abusive but I know what he means. It seems to me sometimes that half the membership of this forum consists of people who never go, have no intention of ever going and just stay here to slag the sport off.

If they have no interest, what are they still doing here ?

To the matter in hand : crap tracks, poor presentation, rubbish racing and surly, aggressive promotions on the odd occasion make me wonder why I bother and leave me feeling that I am being taken for granted. The appalling, biased, inconsistent and corrupt decision making at the heart of the sport leaves me frustrated and angry, and I can't help wondering how those who are directly affected by it (I have no team)feel.

Then I go to Isle of Wight and see a determined promotion backed up by a hard core of supporters doing everything they can to make a speedway meeting an enjoyable and value night out. I go to Ipswich and see a group of supporters creating the BSF Massif and restoring enthusiasm for Thursday nights by adding to the actual meeting itself. I get to see friends and acquaintances right across the land, and travel through some wonderful country to do it.

Most of all, though, I still see some brilliant racing - heat 13 at Lakeside on Friday, as an example, was just superb. When speedway is good, its very, very good.

I still have a few left this year but, after that, March 2017 can't come round quick enough.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 6