British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

Anyone Else Considering Walking Away From Speedway?

Prove that can you ?

I can, I did.

I travelled the world following speedway (Australia, USA, most GP venues and every track in Britain over several years). Had an 180 mile round trip just to watch my team whilst living in Yorkshire for nigh on twenty years (as well as regular trips to more local tracks like Sheffield, Hull, Scunny, Belle Vue, Bradford, Buxton and Redcar). But, after cottoning on to something not being right, there not being a level playing field, some teams getting things others didn't, you know the type of things I mean, my visits got less regular. Then the winter of discontent came and it sickened me how keen some were to see the end of two well run (at the time, don't know about now) clubs and the glee with which others jumped into the void despite previous declarations and I realised something was very wrong at the core of the sport. I gave it another year but, not getting the enthusiasm to go very often that year I gave it up altogether in this country other than occasional visits to Mildenhall, but even they have stopped now.

I say gave it up in this country because I still go to speedway. Being of Polish parentage I visit Poland from time to time and take in speedway meetings there and, when in New Zealand visiting my daughter, I visit Auckland's Rosebank track whenever speedway's on.

Edited by Barney Rabbit
  • Like 6

I have been involved, albeit in a small way with the track prep at Leicester since 1981, and when Leicester closed, still kept involved with Kings Lynn until around 1989, and I have loved speedway, since 1972.. Apart from a brief 4 yr stint supporting Long Eaton during the Leicesterless years, I have always believed that the top division in the UK was where I wanted to be..

When Leicester joined the Elite League 3 seasons ago, I was finally happy, or so I thought..

But things have gone from bad to worse, what a bloody shambles this league is. Promoters that don't promote, riders that well, at best, use this league for pin money, no loyalty, no team spirit, and most have no thought for the paying fans.

I have always tried to make allowances for them, the riders, but now I am so disillusioned with speedway, I think this will be my last season as a supporter and volunteer..

I don't think I want to drop to premier league, or national league, I want to see the best that is available, end of......

Unless, the AGM makes some radical changes, and stops sitting on its arse and self congratulating itself, that's me done....

We will have the AGM soon. Where else could you buy anticipation like that ????

Pretty sure SCB for one said he stopped attending after the Kildemand "text-gate"

A number of other posters have cited the above reasons as driving them away from the sport

SCB hasnt gone to speedway regulary for years now, he's openly admitted that.

Most fans don't have a clue what goes on behind the scenes and there has been a lot more corruption in Boxing, Horse Racing and Athletics and I don't see noone walking away from those sports especially Boxing, so I totally disagree.

Also where is the corruption because I would be suprised if it was at N.L where the money is low and fans do walk away from that from time to time.

Why people walk has been done to death on this forum and I think most people know why but I haven't got the inclination or the time to write out a lengthy Dickens type essay about speedway's problems.

Theres always been corruption in racing thats nothing new, even in this day and age where every angle is covered on the track it still goes on..

• Like 1

waihekeaces1, on 20 Sept 2016 - 10:08 AM, said:

I think most of us prefer the old tac sub rule tbh. But it was - in most circumstances - more advantageous to the trailing team than the double points.

Either way, I'd suggest it's way down the list of things wrong with speedway.

These figures include all EL & PL matches from 2014, 2015 and this season up to Sunday past, the 18th.

Total matches: 851

Teams using TR: 519 (60.98% of matches saw at least one TR)

Resulting in a win: 19 (3.66%)

A draw: 1 (0.19%)

A loss: 499 (96.15%)

I've used 1977 & 78 for the TS comparison. Note that TS rides taken by reserves are NOT included, only rides by a member of the 1-5 have been counted. It's not always possible to pinpoint a reserve taking a TS so best to exclude them for a bit more accuracy.

Total matches: 1406

Teams using TS: 1124 (79.94% of matches saw at least one TS)

Resulting in a win: 41 (3.65%)

A draw: 25 (2.22%)

A loss: 1058 (94.13%)

Only one EL TR has translated into a win in 2016. One ended in a draw. 61 made no odds to the result. The PL has had 5 turnarounds and 80 made no difference. The lack of draws under the TR rule is probably down to the odd points they generate - 8-1, 7-2 and 6-3 - in fact the one draw came in a match where the TR resulted in a 5-3.

If you were to drop the double points aspect which in effect means no tactical changes, 2 of this seasons matches would still have resulted in a win, 3 would have become draws and 2 losses. It is impossible to extrapolate the results for the TS, but as a quick aside - the 1981 NL KOC was run over 16 heats without TS, R/R or guests and returned an average score difference of a home win by 11.32. The average diff for league matches that season was 11.30.

There you have it. You can argue all you want over which system has the greater merits but in the end, resorting to either means you're probably going to lose. Which beggars the question, why do some folk extol the virtues of one system when both return practically the same outcome?

Two final queries - of all the things that got you hooked in the first place, be they sights, sounds, smells, whatever - how many of them still exist? And what new ones have been added to your likes, what goes on at a meeting today that you wish had been around from the word go?

• Like 2

heathen chemistry, on 20 Sept 2016 - 12:25 PM, said: heathen chemistry, on 20 Sept 2016 - 12:25 PM, said:

fans are walking away because its not a level playing field.. corruption . fiddles back handers . speedway is only going to continue downwards look whats happened the last 5 yrs ...when one club seems to have a blank cheque to sign riders but all other clubs carnt afford adecent track curator things are seriosly wrong...

Agree with a lot of the above points . I have travelled over Europe for the old World Finals , the old Tee Mill Tours !! Even saw a meeting in Denmark where you had to go through someone's back garden to the track ! All that I want is a realistic points limit , a bigger division where you not racing the same teams every other week , not to have to have to guess if there's a meeting on & most of all REGULAR WEEKLY SPEEDWAY ..If this means goodbye GP riders so be it ..I cant tell you how much I envy the supporters of clubs like Sheffield or Glasgow , they get Speedway every week on a regular race night & not messed about by TV.

Edited by BANANAMAN

SCB hasnt gone to speedway regulary for years now, he's openly admitted that.

Theres always been corruption in racing thats nothing new, even in this day and age where every angle is covered on the track it still goes on..

They were telling you why SCB hasn't been for a few years.
  • Like 1

There you have it. You can argue all you want over which system has the greater merits but in the end, resorting to either means you're probably going to lose. Which beggars the question, why do some folk extol the virtues of one system when both return practically the same outcome?

Probably because substitutions of one sort or another are part and parcel of most sports these days and the subs could only score the same points as the opponent if they finish in the same place (3 for the win, 2 for second, 1 for third).

A competitor finishing second outscoring the man that beat him doesn't seem right.

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow
  • Like 1

Speedway's walked away from me twice Newport closed both times, I did after the first closure attend Bristol then Swindon for years but wouldn't even consider that now. Have attended a few meetings but next year maybe first since 1965 I walk away from speedway.

Tbh the grand prix and swc have it right, that's speedway as it should be. What you need to do is take that and apply it to sport at elite league level - the issue is that it would cost money to do so, anfmd typically the approach has been to cut costs rather than work out how to grow revenue.

That's speedway featuring most of the best riders in the World, that's World Championship speedway, an accolade every speedway rider dreams about and most fans want to watch. That's easy speedway to sell and promote.

The joker doesn't overly bother me and having any system to keep meetings close is fine by me.

I think a rider finishing second should score less than the winner but the thing for me is the fact the new tr just hoodwinks us poor fans once again.

I use to love the hush that came over the crowd as a tactical was announced. Coming out in yellow and black is....... Ivan Mauger/Ole Olsen/Eric Gunndersen/Hans Nielsen. It gave us an extra chance to see these guys in racing mode.

As was shown both systems have an equal impact on results but one gave the option of seeing extra track time to star riders. The new system short changes us in comparison so that's my only gripe.

Edited by ouch

TR's either should be scrapped for the play offs or both teams should be able to nominate one at any time regardless of who is winning..

Shouldn't have a final again decided by 'free points' gained by one team when the other doesn't get a chance to counter balance it..

• Like 2

TR's either should be scrapped for the play offs or both teams should be able to nominate one at any time regardless of who is winning..

Shouldn't have a final again decided by 'free points' gained by one team when the other doesn't get a chance to counter balance it..

Yep there should be no tacticals allowed in the playoffs, 100% not!
  • Like 3

Peter Kildermand (Textgate) please remind me?

What was this about?

Let's not open that can of worms again!! 🙈

Probably because substitutions of one sort or another are part and parcel of most sports these days and the subs could only score the same points as the opponent if they finish in the same place (3 for the win, 2 for second, 1 for third).

A competitor finishing second outscoring the man that beat him doesn't seem right.

I doubt it ...substitutions being allowed to used by one team because they are losing are part and Parcel nowhere bar in speedway ...how can that feel right ...not sure why people keep making excuses for what was a stupid and unfair rule .

• Like 1