British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Sheffield 2017

Do we actually stand any chance of signing Jack Holder ?

I would say with Somerset and Plymouth out of the equation we stand as good a chance as anyone else.

Having read the release from the promotors meeting and the two lines that refer to this are to my mind rather vague and open to interpretation, stating 'Championship clubs must include include a young Brit with a 3-point average. In a bid to help young riders get a team spot any rider who hasn't achieved a 3-point average will come in on a minimum of 2'.

For a start it doesn't say what league they've had to achieve that 3-point average in. The only league mentioned is the Championship, which actually doesn't exist yet (only in name) so no one has ridden in it!

British youngster - will there actually be an age limit put on this? (The British 'youngster' rule in the Elite league was a bit of a farce was it not.)

So to put it into context does it mean the riders who come in on a 3-point average will have achieved that in the existing Premier league or National league? Or is it that if they have not yet ridden in the existing Premier league they come in on a minimum 2-point average?

Think the BSPA have to make a more detailed press release for the purposes of clarity.

As Jack Parkinson Blackburn did reach an age where he was old enough to ride in the last years Premier League until September of this year surely he should be given special dispensation and come in a 2 point average.

STAARS - Thursday 10th November 2016

All Tigers Fans,

The first of the monthly STAARS gatherings this closed season will be on Thursday 10th November 2016 at the New Barrack Tavern Pub on Penistone Road, Sheffield (0.5 mile south of Owlerton Stadium) from 7:30pm.

As always it's a chance for Tigers fans, riders and management to catch up, have a chat and a few drinks from the NBT's excellent selection and hear any news/updates from the club during the silly season.

All are welcome !!!

Edited by Tigerite

I would say with Somerset and Plymouth out of the equation we stand as good a chance as anyone else.

As Jack Parkinson Blackburn did reach an age where he was old enough to ride in the last years Premier League until September of this year surely he should be given special dispensation and come in a 2 point average.

Having seen Jack Holder ride Owlerton this year I think if he rode for Sheffield he could easily put 1.5 to 2 points on his average and be number 1.

As I wrote clarity is required on this as the way it reads now he could come in as a 3-point or a 2-point rider which ever way you interpret it.

STAARS - Thursday 10th November 2016

All Tigers Fans,

The first of the monthly STAARS gatherings this closed season will be on Thursday 12th November 2015 at the New Barrack Tavern Pub on Penistone Road, Sheffield (0.5 mile south of Owlerton Stadium) from 7:30pm.

As always it's a chance for Tigers fans, riders and management to catch up, have a chat and a few drinks from the NBT's excellent selection and hear any news/updates from the club during the silly season.

All are welcome !!!

Thursday 12 November 2015 was last year.

Any new Brit (not been in a declared team before) will start at 3. ie JPB & Smith

Any British rider that has been in a declared team but not attained a 3 point CMA will start on his true CMA but not lower than 2. Hence Bailey ay 2.05 & Greaves at 2.32

This is my understanding of the rule.

• Like 1

Any new Brit (not been in a declared team before) will start at 3. ie JPB & Smith

Any British rider that has been in a declared team but not attained a 3 point CMA will start on his true CMA but not lower than 2. Hence Bailey ay 2.05 & Greaves at 2.32

Mine too :t:

and mine

well we can all play the guessing game, word on the street seems to be no jason or steady this year, so hear goes.

would love to see dimi back but unsure on that one, it looks like kyle and josh will be the first 2 names on the sheet, personally i think josh would be better with a season on loan at a smaller track, but a team to challenge at the top end with both youth and experience would be.

1. holder

2. bates

3. schlein

4. robson

5. howarth

6. jpb

7. jack smith

Well I have a feeling it's going to be one big league with perhaps a north south divide. No Lakeside, Liecester will drop as well imo, other teams will maybe not ride.

The North/South divide has been achieved by stealth. Look at the comparative geography of the two leagues and anyone who fails to see that geographic location played more than a small part in determining the makeup of the two leagues is deluding himself.

Glad to hear that Workington are definitely running.

The North/South divide has been achieved by stealth. Look at the comparative geography of the two leagues and anyone who fails to see that geographic location played more than a small part in determining the makeup of the two leagues is deluding himself.

Wow. So if the Championship winners beat the Premiership wooden spoonists, all the Southern clubs will be relegated and the Northern clubs will be the new Premiership! :t:

Wow. So if the Championship winners beat the Premiership wooden spoonists, all the Southern clubs will be relegated and the Northern clubs will be the new Premiership! :t:

Don't quite understand what you're getting at GPR.

My point is that, for 2017 at least, what we have effectively is a Southern League and a Northern League in all but name. Simple really.

On a more technical point, does anyone have views on the announcement that the BSPA will be working with the Swiss manufacturers of the GTR engine which, allegedly, will drastically reduce riders' maintenance costs? Would any techie on this forum care to explain to the rest of us what impact this may have on the sport or whether it's just pie in the sky?

Don't quite understand what you're getting at GPR.

My point is that, for 2017 at least, what we have effectively is a Southern League and a Northern League in all but name. Simple really.

On a more technical point, does anyone have views on the announcement that the BSPA will be working with the Swiss manufacturers of the GTR engine which, allegedly, will drastically reduce riders' maintenance costs? Would any techie on this forum care to explain to the rest of us what impact this may have on the sport or whether it's just pie in the sky?

Simply, the need to send engine for a rebuild, is drastically reduced,saving riders big bucks.

Simply, the need to send engine for a rebuild, is drastically reduced,saving riders big bucks.

If it were that simple all the riders would be using it already. There has to be a downside. How does it compare (in terms of price and performance, for example) to GM or Jawa?

If it were that simple all the riders would be using it already. There has to be a downside. How does it compare (in terms of price and performance, for example) to GM or Jawa?

It is more expensive to buy but cheaper to maintain, not sure on performance but 'Fast Freddie' has been on one this year...