British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Sheffield 2017

If it were that simple all the riders would be using it already. There has to be a downside. How does it compare (in terms of price and performance, for example) to GM or Jawa?

Ask Freddie Lindgren. He has been scoring well in all leagues, GP's & cut down on servicing costs by being involved with the engineers with his input & views all season. His set-up have made him very quick. The engine, itself is dearer, but by having a better oil pump, part replacement & service is vastly cut.

Ask Freddie Lindgren. He has been scoring well in all leagues, GP's & cut down on servicing costs by being involved with the engineers with his input & views all season. His set-up have made him very quick. The engine, itself is dearer, but by having a better oil pump, part replacement & service is vastly cut.

Sounds as if this could be the best thing to happen to speedway for years. Anything that makes the sport more affordable for riders, promoters and sponsors has to be good news for the fans as well.

Any new Brit (not been in a declared team before) will start at 3. ie JPB & Smith

Any British rider that has been in a declared team but not attained a 3 point CMA will start on his true CMA but not lower than 2. Hence Bailey ay 2.05 & Greaves at 2.32

This is my understanding of the rule.

when speaking to Chris Louis last night at the Ipswich end of year do he gave the impression any newcomer would be on a 2.

Gonna cost loads for the riders to initially buy 2/3 gerhard engines brand new just to start the season and then who will buy their previous GM's off them if everyone needs gerhards? I can see positives in the idea of cutting servicing costs but it will cost more to buy new engines and not be able to offload their old stock

• Like 1

when speaking to Chris Louis last night at the Ipswich end of year do he gave the impression any newcomer would be on a 2.

and thats why ippo will not win the league while he is in charge , he dont know the rules .lol.

I think its safe to say we will see Josh Bates, Kyle Howarth & Jack Parkinson-Blackburn in the side next season, which pleases me, but i sure as hell would love to see Jack Holder added too! He loves riding Owlerton and has shown he can do it, he would be a rider that would definitely increase his average with Sheffield.

Sorry - would also love to see Berge back with us too, but unsure if he and Holder etc would all fit within the limit

Failing all this give Derrol Keats a call, would love to see those "Kiss My" kevlars flying round Owlerton again ;-)

..How many Riders are going to want to double up this year ? Whats that around 70 meetings a season, tough going. Thought I read somewhere that Dimi wanted to ride the Top league (lol ) in 2017. ..Would like to see Jack Holder at Sheffield and bring back Skidmore..

Lower points limits and more guests will just lead to picking and chosing meetings for me, depending on the track improving, or it could be no meetings

The AGM definitely looks to have improved the prospects of the Elite (Premiership?) League. I'm sure Sky will be happy.

However, I can't say the same for the former Premier League.I don't understand how dropping the points limit to 40 will improve the product.

Edited by PJ29
  • Like 1

Gonna cost loads for the riders to initially buy 2/3 gerhard engines brand new just to start the season and then who will buy their previous GM's off them if everyone needs gerhards? I can see positives in the idea of cutting servicing costs but it will cost more to buy new engines and not be able to offload their old stock

This is just the same as in the past.

JAP to JAWA

2 valve JAWA to 4 valve WESLAKE & JAWA

Upright to Laydown

• Like 2

The AGM definitely looks to have improved the prospects of the Elite (Premiership?) League. I'm sure Sky will be happy.

However, I can't say the same for the former Premier League.I don't understand how dropping the points limit to 40 will improve the product.

With the expected exodus of some big names from the EL, and the current shortage of British riders hence the guests problem, the Premier League needs to employ lower order riders to improve the situation, as well as reduce costs.

With the expected exodus of some big names from the EL, and the current shortage of British riders hence the guests problem, the Premier League needs to employ lower order riders to improve the situation, as well as reduce costs.

The problem is that employing lower order riders is not going to improve crowds.Quite the opposite.And at next year's AGM they'll be looking to reduce costs again because crowd levels will have dropped further. Edited by PJ29

Will only work if the admission charges go down as well

the product has got weaker and weaker and crowds have got lower and lower year on year

you wont stop this by weakening it even more, especially if that comes with more guests,

if we are short of riders then why didnt they go for 6 man teams, 19 less double up riders required

• Like 2

Its all 'relative' though. If two number one's face each other and they each have a 12 point average at the start of the season and lets say its the first match of the new season, if they ride against each other they take points off each other so they each now have a 6 point average. The standard hasn't gone down.

At the same time, I know exactly what you mean as its what they used to call "de-strengthening". Think the most severe case of "de-strengthening" was in about 1997 season. The all-one-league had happened in 1995, and previous Div 2 riders went from typically being about 8 point ave to about 6.0-6.5 ave, but after two season (1995, and 1996) of all-one-league (Premier) the prev Div 1 teams broke away to form the Elite league, it left the remaining mainly ex-Div 2 teams to re-configure their team averages etc, the "de-strengthening" was so severe that previous 8 point riders (1994 season) by the end of the 1997 season their actual averages had risen to become near 10 point average, e.g. a certain K.McKinna went from an 8 point rider to 6.31 in the all-in-one league, to then becoming a near 10 point rider (9.73) by the end of the 1997 season - the last time McKinna had that kind of average was 1989 and since then had been on a steady decline. Similarly, Paul Bentley had a 9 point average in 1994, then a 6 point ave in 1995 and 1996, and back up to around 9 1997/98 and a near 10-point average in 1999. As I recall, 1997 saw previous third heat leaders become No.1's, and the second strings seemed to be quite weak. But after a few seasons it all levelled out again and into the 2000's the second tier strengthened up again.

Ok, I shot down my own opening point, haha. :drink:

Edited by justere2cgoodspeedway